dorigirl update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi George,

Please tell Dori that we are all thinking of her!!! It can be rough at first, just a matter of finding the right medication, because we are all different.

My ride home was approx. 3 hours and I pretty much slept the whole way with the right combinations of drugs and pillows.

You're a good man!!!

Shari

Comment

Avoid Bumps!

Dear George,

Take the smoothest riding vehicle you can and avoid big bumps if possible or take them slowly. With that long of a trip, she will probably want to lie down in the seat with pillows (as was mentioned).

It's so nice that her twin sister (your wife) can be there and support her through this.

Deb
      age 47
      posterior surgery 7/24/06
      30 degrees correction
      DON'T WAIT TO GET STRAIGHT!!!

Comment

Time the medication properly. I was very lucky I only had a 20 min ride home from rehab.
        surgery 9/06
        Rothman institute

Comment

Hey everyone. We have been really busy helping dori with recovery the last few days. She wanted me to post that her correction was better than expected. I originally posted that she got a less than 20 degree correction, but X-rays show that her curve is now less than 10 degrees. She was at 60 degrees pre-surgery. Her surgeon Dr. Kabaish was very pleased with the outcome.

George

Comment

Wow! That is incredible! Please tell Dori that we are thinking of her and wishing her well. I am seeing Dr. Kabaish in a few weeks for a second opinion. I hear he is quite good, so am looking forward to meeting him. I hope she's starting to feel better!
            32 y/o male
            S curve - upper, 50 degrees, lower 43 degrees
            Waiting and watching after seeing 2 doctors...

Comment

That is awesome. Excellent correction.

"Go Dori...it's your birthday..."
              Brandi
              Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
              Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
              L1-S1
              Dr. William Lauerman
              Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
              Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
              http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Hello everyone. Wanted to share another update. We got Dori's pain meds squared away and she is doing much better. She is on the fentanyl patch and vicodin for break thru pain - she can now sleep thru the night w/o nightmares. She still needs adjusted in bed a few times thru the night for comfort - thank god we got a hospital bed and have plenty of pillows. Her PT is going well too. She climbed the stairs (14 steps) twice yesterday, but her hips are bothering her today because of it. Hopefully she will be able to post on the site on her own in the next few days - our PC is on the second floor. We can't seem to find a comfortable chair for her - she can't sit for more than 20-30 minutes. We are contemplating getting a high backed, adjustable office chair for her, which I could eventually use in my home office. Any recommendations in regards to a chair for her?

Thanks,
                George

Comment

I had over an hour trip home. I rode in the back seat. I was lying down most of the way. My front seats didn't recline back enough, to straight.
                  I started out in the front seat but within 10 minutes I was in back seat.
                  Make sure she takes a pain pill before she leaves.
                  Mattie

Comment

I am about 7 weeks post op and I still have trouble sitting. The most O can sit for is about 20 to 30.
                    surgery 9/06
                    Rothman institute

Comment

Originally posted by mattie
                      I had over an hour trip home. I rode in the back seat. I was lying down most of the way. My front seats didn't recline back enough, to straight.
                      I started out in the front seat but within 10 minutes I was in back seat.
                      Make sure she takes a pain pill before she leaves.
                      Mattie
                      Thanks. Sorry if I wasn't clear. We needed suggestions regarding a chair for at home - to watch TV.

Comment

Chair

A slightly padded office chair WITH arms-meaning not a hard one, AND a lumbar pillow(use how many pillows she needs to feel comfortable) is the best bet.

I didn't think about getting one until this last surgery, and since I bought it last December(two weeks post op), it helped SO much with being able to sit straight for longer periods of time and the lumbar pain was gone.

Good luck! You're such a great brother in law, I'm sure some of us would love to have you cloned, lol
                        35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                        Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                        Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                        Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                        Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

I have used the same chair after both of my surgeries (not that far apart) and it is still the most comfortable chair in the house imo. It is a padded office chair with arms and a good lumbar support. It is kinda high backed, but stops at the base of the neck (could possibly go up higher, but I learned to live without). My suggestion is to go to an office supply store with dori there and have her try some out. This would take a relatively good pain day to do so and you may not be able to stay for too long, but each persons back is contoured differently and may feel different. Pillows are also great for extra padding in sore spots or if there is not enough support in one area. I liked to sit on one because it would relieve the pressure on my low back below the fusion.
                          Good luck in the search for a chair.
                          Mandy

Comment

Thanks for the update.

Comment

Hi
                              I received a therapedic back cushion as a gift.............I then went out and bought another one for the car and work. It makes any chair comfortable for me! I found it at Bed bath and Beyond
                              Good luck
                              Jenn
                              37 y/o female
                              60 degree lumbar
                              45 degree thoracic
                              1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
                              T 5 to S 1
                              NYC

Comment

Working...
                              X