Scoliosis & Women

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoliosis & Women

I heard an interesting theory the other day, and thought I would throw this out there for all of us post-puberty women who were diagnosed with idiopathic scoliosis...

I was told by another nurse that someone is doing a study on women who were diagnosed with scoliosis after puberty. It seems like there is some connection between when we started our period and eventual diagnosis. I am not sure if I buy this or not, but there may be a connection. According to the study (damn! I don't even know who is doing it, and she couldn't remember!!), women who started their periods when they were older were more likely to develop spinal curves.

Personally, I did not start my period until I was 16. This person that I was talking to was almost 16 when she started. That is kind of freaky. I was just wondering about anyone else on this board, and whether or not you would be willing to share this information.

Thanks!
    Mary
    A/P Repair 12/93
    Scottish Rite Instrumentation
    Fusion T9-S1

My daughter started her period when she was 11 1/2 y.o. and was diagnosed with Kyphosis and Scoliosis four days after her 12th birthday.

Mary Lou
    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

My sister and I both have scoliosis, but mine was worse in our teens, and now in our 50's, mine has progressed a lot and hers has not. I started my period at 12 1/2 and she was 15 at least, so in our case, that theroy does not work! But you never know, we could be that exception.
      Berta in Hawaii

Comment

Sorry, but I started at age 13, 1 year after diagnosis, my sister the same.
        SandyC

Comment

I didn't start until 14; my mother was so worried she took me to the dr. to find out why but he said just wait.

Deb
          posterior surgery 7/24/07
          for S curve T70,L76

Comment

Interesting! I started mine late too, 15! But isn't there also some "connection" between thin women and scoliosis? I was very very skinny as a child and teenager - just never really kept weight on until I hit 16 or 17. Who knows, but interesting to hear connections like that..

Comment

Growth Plate, etc....

I do know that it's better (as far as your curvature) if you get your period early as it has something to do with your growth plate. My daughter was not quite ten when she started her period and was diagnosed with scoliosis a year or so later. I, on the other hand, was diagnosed with scoliosis about 12 years old and didn't get my period until 14 or so. My daughter is fine, never braced and is almost 20 years old. I always in pain and by the age of 26 had the surgery in 1981. So in our case, it's true. LYNN
              1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
              2000 Partial Rod Removal
              2001 Right Scapular Resection
              12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
              06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

I was 16 years old.

Comment

My daughter and I both started around 12. Both of us weighed around 120 and 5'4". My other daughter started at the same age and was very thin. Under 100 until about 15 and 5"8" and she does not have scoliosis! I think it is inherited more than weight or onset of puberty.
                  T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
                  2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
                  3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
                  Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

The odd thing about inheritence is that I am the first one diagnosed in the family with scoliosis, and believe me, after my diagnosis, both my sisters and my nieces got checked as well. However, mine didn't manifest itself until after I hit 30 either. At the time of my diagnosis, I was very thin, and had been for several years, but going through childhood and puberty, I was pretty chubby. Still, no signs of the scoliosis when I was deemed a "butterball" during regular check-ups. In fact, I was slender when I entered nursing school at 18 and had to have a complete physical then-with no signs. Hmmm....guess that is why they call it idiopathic.
                    A/P Repair 12/93
                    Scottish Rite Instrumentation
                    Fusion T9-S1

Comment

I was the first in my family also. After my surgery when my sisters were in town, they were checked and found to have minor curves. Neither of my parents have it. We think my paternal grandmother had it because of difficulties during her delivery of my father. Because of the problems, he was an only child. We will never know if she had scoliosis because from her early teen years to the day she died, she wore a corset as did all of her sisters.
                      T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
                      2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
                      3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
                      Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

for rainbow2010

We think my paternal grandmother had it because of difficulties during her delivery of my father. Because of the problems, he was an only child. We will never know if she had scoliosis because from her early teen years to the day she died, she wore a corset as did all of her sisters
                        Rainbow2010

I actually did a thorough medical literature search in the National Library of Medicine for an obstetrician I work for regarding scoliosis and delivery.
                        There was absolutely no connection between scoliosis and a difficult delivery. Theoretically, if a mother's scoliosis was so severe that she had breathing issues, then that would impact labor necessitating a c/section.

Regarding epidurals: if there is space below the fusion successful spinals and epidurals have been performed. If the lumbar curve is significant then the anesthetic drug might not spread correctly resulting in a less satisfactory anesthetic.

Regarding corsets: people(grandparents' generation) wore corsets for fashoin not necessarily for scoliosis.
                        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Very interesting

I just found this post, it is of great interest to me as I have always had a kind of theory about puberty and AIS.

I was 15 1/2 years old before I had my first period, but my Scoli was found when I was 13. I am also the only or first person in my whole family to have Scoli, although I did notice a curve in my 9 year old daughters back which is going to be followed up in due course.

Speaking to my Mum the other day, after all the times we have spoken about all manner of things, for the first time she told me that she has a twisted pelvis and that is why she had to have c-sections with both me and my brother. For years, even when I was having my own kids she always said she had to have c-sections because she was so tiny (5' tall and a size 5 (UK size) shoe) and there is a relationship between shoe size and the size of your pelvis and your ability to give birth naturally apparently.
                          The whole twisted pelvis thing has shed a whole new light on my Scoli and my little (probably rubbish) theories, its opened me to so many questions, especially about my family but my Mum is so vague its frustrating at times.

Kat
                          1st Surgery in 1991 aged 15
                          Fused T2 to L2
                          'S' curve
                          Before surgery T39 L49
                          Revision surgery 6th Nov 2006

Comment

Originally posted by JamieAnn
                            Interesting! I started mine late too, 15! But isn't there also some "connection" between thin women and scoliosis? I was very very skinny as a child and teenager - just never really kept weight on until I hit 16 or 17. Who knows, but interesting to hear connections like that..
                            I was 15 also...which I guess is considered to be a late bloomer... But I was diagnosed at 13.
                            JamieAnn, I was ALSO told that my light weight may have had something to do with the progression of my condition as well. And I was so skinny, yet had long arms and legs, that they also screened me for Marphans....but I did not have it.

Comment

I started my period at 16 (sophmore), much later than my older sister, who started hers in 5th grade. I was diagnosed when i was 14, and at the time I was about 5'11'' and 125 pounds (very lanky). I have since gotten a little taller and filled out because I lifted weights for basketball all throughout high school.

abbie
                              aBbiE
                              22 yr old F,KU college student
                              Kyphoscoliosis...
                              Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
                              Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
                              I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
                              Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
                              all smiles!

Comment

Working...
                              X