Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ho do you tell when child's brace is getting too small?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ho do you tell when child's brace is getting too small?

My 6 year-old son has had his very first Boston brace for about 9 months now and is complaining after every meal that it is tight on his tummy and lately has been telling me that the left side of his chest feels tight in the brace. He has only gained a couple of pounds since he got his brace, but has grown quite a bit taller in the last 9 months. My question is how do I know when he needs a new/larger brace? Can anyone out there help me please? Thanks everyone! :>
    Last edited by Kim T; 10-04-2006, 09:02 AM. Reason: misspelling in title--oops!

Hi Kim,

I would bring him to the doctor or the orthotist who made his brace to see if he needs a new one. I know it needs to be quite snug but if he never complained before and now feels it pressing, then maybe it's time for a new one. And you say he has grown quite a bit - that being the case, the brace may no longer be pushing in the right places.

Good luck,
    mariaf305@yahoo.com
    Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
    Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Hey i can help....i think

Hey

I am getting my new brace on the 12th
      and the way my doc. knew that i need a new brace is that it was pushing my underarm a lot and that at the bottom when i had it on it was wider (the space between the two sides) also when i 1st got my brace my doc could push it togather and make it overlap but at my last visit he couln't
      he concluded that my pelvis grew and i needed a new brace
      ohh and i also havent grown since the end of 5th grade or so and rigth now im 8 week into 7th grade
      im not sure how much this helps since im a girl and a teenager
      but the best wishes.
      Last edited by Cloudy; 10-04-2006, 06:20 PM.
      Mák Veronika
      14 yr.o. girl 9th grade
      40T
      54L
      +rotation
      Boston Brace since December 2005
      Location in Florida

I play flute.
      I LOVE ROCK!!!!!

Comment

follow-up on my original post

Just to let you all know--Alex does need a new brace and it is on order. The Orthotist says he's gotten thinner front-to-back, but wider. Also, he's grown a full four inches in the last ten months and the pads on his current TLSO/Boston brace are actually starting to push the curve in the wrong direction again due to the misalignment from his growth.

Thanks for the feedback--you were all right on!

BTW, he's ordered a RED one this time!
        Last edited by Kim T; 11-29-2006, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X