Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lyrica

Hi,

has anyone tried Lyrica for nerve pains? I have been prescribed Lyrica 75 mg twice a day for at least a month for pain I get in my nerves at around T5-T6, b/c my right rod is still unstable according to my ortho(the positioning), and it hits a nerve.

I was wondering if it has helped anyone and if there are annoying side effects, etc, any info would be nice. I mentioned Neurontin but the doc said Lyrica is even better.
    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

I was prescribed lyrica at my last ortho visit for nerve pain associated with a herniated disc between L4-L5, but opted not to take it because I am also on Topamax for headaches (which has some of the same properties as Lyrica for nerve pain) and did not want to have 2 meds doing the same thing. I consulted about it with my neuro (who prescribed the Topamax) and he said that the Lyrica is good, but still very new. Hopefully it will help with your nerve pain, I know that it is awful. Good luck.

Comment

Sweetness, funny that you ask, because I have just been prescribed Lyrica as well for my cervical spinal stenosis. Cortisone shot, epidural nerve block failed, so we are trying Lyrica. I have not taken it yet, because I was worried about side affects, but I decided that I am going to try it this weekend, so that way I am not all loopy at work (not sure if it even makes me loopy). If you try it this week let me know how it affects you.

Comment

Hi All,

I was prescribed Lyrica about 6 months ago. I started off taking two 75 mg pills and noticed a difference right away. I started taking them in the evening and the next afternoon I noticed I didn't have as much of the tingling, buzzing feeling. When my pain management doctor told me he wanted to wait longer before he did my nerve block he increased my Lyrica to three 75 mgs a day. It has made a BIG difference with my thoracotomy pain. It's very tolerable now. I haven't had any side effects from it. I take that and hydrocodone and tizanidine daily. This cocktail (as my doctor calls it) has helped me alot with the nerve, muscle, and mechanical pain that I have. I highly encourage you to give the Lyrica a try. I hope it works as well for you as it does for me. GOOD LUCK!!
        Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
        Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
        Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
        Fused T2 to sacrum
        June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
        MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Another positive response

I started taking Lyrica about 3 weeks ago. I take one 50 mg capsule each day. My pain isn't totally gone at that dose, but it helps to make it more managable. My doctor said that I can take up to 3 a day, but I don't want to go too high too quickly. I am afraid that eventually, it will lose its efficacy.

Another side effect of the drug is that I sleep better and feel more alert through the day.

Comment

I took my first dose today, and so far I don't feel loopy yet or too weird but I know I will see in a few days if it helps, my doctor said it really is good and works in only a few days. He also said that I can take them for a month now, and stop and if the pain comes back to take it again, as in treatment periods like I am doing now.

Only thing I am feeling weird now is my left foot is boiling hot, lol. It says in the side effects that swelling of feet and hands can happen.
            Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
            Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
            Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Originally posted by MGM Grand
              Sweetness, funny that you ask, because I have just been prescribed Lyrica as well for my cervical spinal stenosis. Cortisone shot, epidural nerve block failed, so we are trying Lyrica. I have not taken it yet, because I was worried about side affects, but I decided that I am going to try it this weekend, so that way I am not all loopy at work (not sure if it even makes me loopy). If you try it this week let me know how it affects you.
              Hi MGM Grand,

just wanted to mention that I think it's wise that you wait to try it this weekend, b/c I did start getting lightheaded, had blurry vision and felt dizzy as the hours passed yesterday and a bit today. Hopefully it will pass after a few days I take it, or I can ask for a smaller dose(I take 75mg), although not sure that would help my pain. Of course it's not to say that you will develop side effects, as I usually have them b/c I don't take pain meds very often and my system is very sensitive to most of them. Good luck, and keep us posted on how you're doing

Comment

me again

Sorry to go on about this medicine but wanted to share that I had to stop taking Lyrica as I developped an allergy to it, and had all kinds of red spots on top of other symptoms that I mentioned(couldn't function literally), it was getting to be worriesome and the pharmacist told me that it's not that uncommon and happens with people like me who have allergies to many meds, sigh.

At least I know I wouldn't make a good drug addict, sometimes I get allergies to even some vitamins hehe.

Comment

I took Lyrica for a few months. Did nothing for me. I responded better to Neurontin. The one advantage it had over Neuronitn was that it didn't make me tired.
                  Brandi
                  Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                  Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                  L1-S1
                  Dr. William Lauerman
                  Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                  Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                  http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

lyrica

Hi I've been on lyrica for about a week now and find I am sleeping better, my nerve pain is masked slightly(I'm only on 50mg/twice aday). The first couple of days I crashed into a nap about 4pm-ordinarily that never happens. IN fact I usually suffer from insomnia with all my pain. I have only been awake past 1:30am once since starting lyrica. Good luck. I tried neurontin last summer but something strange came over me. I didn't know why I didn't like the stuff. But lyrica seems to agree with me thus far.
                    Jeralyn is Queen!

Comment

I don't think I will give Neurontin a try too, since I called my pharmacist and she said it's from the same family as Lyrica. I see how one type of medicine can affect someone and not another, in many ways as well as helping with pain, like serious side effects. At least I know it was an allergy I had and stopped in time, b/c seriously if I would have taken one more dose I would have probably had to call 9/11, as I have never felt as physically sick and weak as I did when I took it last week, not even after I took heavy narcotics when I woke up from surgery It was really scary, but if it helps some of you that's great, just wanted to warn some in case they feel weird or have serious side effects when taking any type of meds, be aware and consult with the pharmacist immediately, and always be in tune with how your body feels/reacts.

Comment

Lyrica works for me as well.

Hi Sweetness!
                        Just wanted to let you know that Lyrica is what my doctor prescribed for me in Sept.(the appointement I had told you about) I started with 1 a day and I am up to what I was prescribed which is 3 a day for nerve and pain management. It as help me alot. I saw the difference as soon as I went up to two a day. My leggs and neck were so bad before this that I was lucky if I was getting 3 hours a sleep a day.
                        Sorry to hear it didn't work for you, I hope the other one will. Good luck and will talk to you soon. Cic.

Comment

Hey Cic!

glad you're doing better. I think my pain is better to deal with than all the side effects meds give me right now, so I'm not going to take anything. But that's just me, I prefer dealing with pain and I know when it gets too much, it can be annoying for some, like you had a lot. I have better days now, sometimes it takes time and pain either goes away or subsides. I still stick with my sleep aid at night, as sleep is what helps me most with any type of inflammation I get.

Glad it worked for you, take it easy and keep in touch.
                          Last edited by sweetness514; 10-12-2006, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X