Confused.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused.com

Ever since I found I needed revision surgery I have been researching Scoliosis surgery. I have seen countless x-rays but never seen instrumentation like mine.

I have been told I have a Luque Harrington Rod (singular, could be Harrington Luque?) and I have a copy of my x-rays here at home but don't know how to get them online, so I'll try and describe my instrumentation and see if anyone knows what I am going on about!

My first surgery was in 1991. I have a single rod going from T2 - L2, it has a hook at the top T2 and another at L2 and you can see a rachet as with a Harrington Rod but then thats when it gets confusing ....I have no screws at all, but at every vertebrae along the fusion I have a wire twisted around part of the vertebra itself and then around the rod (I think 12 or 13 in total).
    It reminds me of when you grow tomatoes and when they get too tall and thin you put bamboo poles in the ground and twist wire around the stalk and the bamboo to hold the plant up

Anyone ever had this or know anyone who has please?

Thanks,

Kat x
    1st Surgery in 1991 aged 15
    Fused T2 to L2
    'S' curve
    Before surgery T39 L49
    Revision surgery 6th Nov 2006

Hi Kat...

I've seen them quite often, as the procedure was fairly popular in the 80's and into the early 90's. Here are some photos:

http://www.uihealthcare.com/depts/me...t/surgery.html
    http://www.spineuniverse.com/display...ticle2691.html

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Stopping Scoliosis by Nancy Schommer makes a reference to that instrumentation. I don't know if the new editions do, but the ones I read in the mid 90's did.
      30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
      2005 - T50, L31
      bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
      2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
      Post - op curve ~35

Comment

Thanks Linda for those links, they made interesting viewing and they are similar however my rod is still different! LOL

I have read aout the L shped Luque rods and I definately do not have these, and as I said I only have one rod, theres nothing else for it but for me to have a pop at putting them online

Watch this space,

Kat x
        Fused T2 to L2
        'S' curve
        Before surgery T39 L49

Comment

Hi Kat...

I've seen x-rays of a single rod with wires, but couldn't find anything on the web. The next time I come across a photo, I'll try to remember to scan and post it.

Or, if you want to have a photo of your own xrays, it's a fairly simple procedure. You can either take a photo when your xrays are up on the lighted box in your doctor's office. Or, you can put a plain white sheet in a sunny window. Then, tape your xrays to the sheet and snap photos.

Regards,
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks

Thankyou Linda for making me feel not such a freak now!

I am working on the photos, but am away from tomorrow so will try again next week, I tried to take a pic of my x-rays today and didn't put a sheet up at the window first, ended up being able to see my garden chairs through my back - bizarre! LOL

Kat x
            Fused T2 to L2
            'S' curve
            Before surgery T39 L49

Comment

Working...
            X