No announcement yet.

7 year old son

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the information JeanZ and your kind words.

Just a follow up. Ben has been wearing the brace for about 6 weeks now and doing GREAT. I am so proud of him. He wears it to school and sleeping and generally gets about 18-20 hours in a day. He keeps wanting to wear it for 24 straight hours (he's so competitive).

He doesnt seem to mind putting it on and sometimes just doesn't feel like taking it off.

When we went to the orthotist for a checkup a few weeks ago they noted, as they did when he first put his brace on, that the brace was causing one of his shoulders to be higher than the other one. They now want him to wear a shoulder strap also.

Is anyone familiar with this type of strap? I don't want to keep adding additional things as he is doing so well.

Thanks and hope everyone is doing fine

Ken

Comment

Hey everyone.

Went to the orthotist on Monday. Ben's shoulders are straightening out, so no need for a shoulder strap. YAY!

Ken

Comment

Great news for Ben! Thanks for sharing. Always good news when you don't have to adjust or change the current plan.
        Carmell
        mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Hey Gang:

Just got back from Ben's 4 month appointment. Great news. His curves have decreased from 35/25 to 21/20. The doctor was very happy and pleasantly surprised as they didn't anticipate this much correction.

Ben has been steadfast in wearing his brace (usually 18-20 hours a day) and has been going for physical therpay which I think helped too.

We were concerned about the summer as Ben is used to waking up and spending his day at the pool. That and we haven't had to deal with the heat issue yet. What I love about Dr. Braun is he wants us to create a balance between bracing and life. If it rains all day wear the brace, if its a nice day give him some time off. Luckily we have that luxury.

Anyway, thats it for now. Oh, Ben made the baseball All Star team and the summer league team. Go Red Sox

K

Comment

Ken,

That IS great news. And I like what you and the doctor said about a balance. Eighteen hours during the summer is much more bearable than 22 or 23, particularly if you can occasionally "cheat".

By the way, did the doctor say that time swimming counts as "in brace" time? Many doctors don't consider time spent in the water as "out of brace" time.

Keep up the good work,

Maria
            mariaf305@yahoo.com
            Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
            Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Thanks for the update, Ken. Sounds like things are working out very well! I hope they continue to be as smooth, and that your family has a great and uneventful summer.
              Carmell
              mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Thanks for the update. Congrats to Ben (and you) on the decrease in curves and especially on making All-Stars! Have a great fun-filled summer of baseball and swimming - Go Red Sox!

Renee

Comment

Info on Montreal Docs

Hi everyone!! What an amazing forum this is for those of us new to the scoliosis world. I can breathe for the first time in a week!!

My daughter was diagnosed at her 8 year well checkup. Followup xrays by her pediatrician showed an S curve with 18 and 12 degrees. It seems to me based on what I've read from you all that she is a good candidate for the SpineCor brace. Can anyone give me a starting place with starting down this road?? From what I've read, it's vital to be fitted by experts, and from what I gather that means travel to Monreal or NY. We have appointments scheduled with two of the best scoli docs I could find in Atlanta, but I know I can't count on them being fans of this brace, and I plan to be VERY proactive.

Again, thank you, thank you, thank you for being here, and thanks in advance for any info regarding getting my daughter seen by the right people!!!
                  Last edited by Katie's Mom; 06-09-2007, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Ken,

Great News!!! Go Red Sox!

Hi Jennifer,

I got your P.M and I'll answer here. If you have the financial resources to do so, I highly recommend Drs Rivard and Coillard since they are the inventors of the brace and many young children in the 5 - 8 year range who are going there are getting excellent results with the brace. Your daughter is at a crucial age and if they determine that her curve is progressive then I am certain dr. Rivard will not waste any time fitting her with the Spinecor brace.

Deirdre started wearing the Spinecor brace the same week she turned 5 years old. I think she was about 43 inches tall at the time so it wasn't a problem getting the brace to fit. The first few days was a little overwhelming regarding bathroom issues but we soon figured things out. Her curve is holding at 1 degree and quite frankly, wearing the brace is not an issue at all for Deirdre because she has been able to integrate with her peers and do everything they do. Prior to this she was in casts so the Spinecor was quite a change for us - for the better of course. The brace is virtually invisible underneath clothing and there are no restrictions whatsoever to her movement. It's been a godsend for us, honestly!
                    Last edited by Celia; 06-10-2007, 04:24 PM.

Canadian eh
                    Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Working...
                    X