Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worried after appt yesterday

Hi,
    I had an appointment yesterday with my surgeon. I had made the appt so I could ask all the questions I needed to ask but when I got there I he wsn't there so I saw his registrar, I hadn't met him before and although he was quite nice he had none of the 'bed-side-manner' of my Surgeon.
    Anyway he has kind of upset me b/c one of the first thigs he said was 'You do realise that there is no guarantee that we will actually make your pain better, don't you? In fact there is a chance we could make it worse'
    Now I know they have to say that to cover their backs but really it was the last thing I needed to hear.
    I am already having doubts about my surgery, and now they are starting to increase, I also found out i have to wear a brace for 6 m after my surgery, the same as the first time round, which stinks, I never thought I would have to go thrugh that again
    I had been looking forward to seeing my Surgeon yesterday he is such a nice guy and really funny, and now this morning I just feel like a huge black cloud has settled over me.
    Sorry for being so negative but I need to get this out to people who might understand.

Kat
    1st Surgery in 1991 aged 15
    Fused T2 to L2
    'S' curve
    Before surgery T39 L49
    Revision surgery 6th Nov 2006

well if you have any concerns you didnt get answered i would call back and demand to have an appt when the surgeon will be there.
    Trudy T60 L70 posterior surgery feb.8th 2007

Comment

Hi Kat....

Never heard of a claw.

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Kat,

I can totally understand and relate to this, but try to not let it bother you and speak to your doctor before getting surgery, just to put your mind at ease. You know it's best to go in and have surgery and have realistic expectations, but in your case it will be a win-win situation b/c you can't stay with broken hardware and an increasing curve, things would only get worse and think of how they will fix you and put new rods in, that's a plus

When I got out of surgery and was groggy to say the least, my doc and his assistant started telling me about how they can't guarantee no further problems in the future and all that jazz(way to pick the time to tell me that) but I tried to not think too much about it, but as you can see they don't always have the best timing for telling us those things It makes us stronger, though.

Take it easy and try to focus on what you have to do and take it one day at a time.
        35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
        Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
        Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
        Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
        Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Working...
        X