Question about herniated disc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about herniated disc

This is for my dad really. He found out in May that he had a herniated disc. Was referred by his spine doctor to see a chiropractor to see if it might help. It did, a bit, but not for long. The doctor then agreed to do an injection at the site of the disc. It helped for about a week, but dad still has trouble walking any long distance. He can play golf (if he rides in a cart) and can work around the yard, he just can't walk too far. He is going for a 2nd injection this week and was told that if it did not work, he could have a spacer put in to help cushion the area. Has anyone here had this done?

I've had my spine rearranged via fusion surgery, but this herniated disc thing is a whole new territory for me...Thanks!

Hi Heidi...

It sounds like they're talking about an artificial disc. Here's an article:

http://www.spineuniverse.com/display...ticle1671.html

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks Linda. That article provided some really good information. All I know at this point is that my dad refers to the implanted device as a "spacer". Could be the pillow that is referenced in the article, but I'm not sure. If this next injection does not work and surgery is the next option, I'll have to have my sister fax me the results of the doctor's findings and what he plans to do in surgery so that I can better understand what they are talking about.

Comment

Hi Heidi...

Now that you've said "spacer" for a second time, I realized that it's probably a cage, and that your father's doctor is probably talking about a fusion with a cage, and not an artificial disc.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

spacer

I worked with a nurse who had that done and he got excellent relief.
          His disc was crushed from a skateboard injury as a child so that he had terrible pain despite every alternative tried. He was back to work in 3 months.
          Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
          Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

spacers

HGD 24-
            I had "spacers" put in 2 spaces where I had lumbar discs removed. My spacers
            were titanium mesh cages-seems to have worked well for that problem. I am sure your father's doctor can show you what he means. Good luck.
            1982- Scoliosis fusion with Harrington rod T3-L4
            1998- revision surgery for flatback syndrome: fusion extended to sacrum, 2 discs removed/replaced with
            titanium spacers, 2 new short rods attached to Harrington rod, 6 pedicle screws
            2005-found out one screw was broken-surgeon said fusion is solid and not to worry
            2004 to now: neck, shoulder and hip pain, degenerative disc disease in neck, herniated and bulging discs in neck, bone spurs, arthritis

Comment

Thank you all for the information and positive feedback on the procedure.

My dad is 69 yrs old and grew up in a poor family who trusted doctors to always know what was best for them. Mom used to handle all of his medical stuff, but she passed away last June ('05) and dad has just been lost without her. In fact, he dealt with extreme back pain until January of this year when he finally started telling us about it. My sister is trying to fill the void and help out where she can as far as going to appts. and looking up medical information, but her husband is battling cancer so she has a lot on her plate already. I live 4-6 hours away and wish I could be there for every appt., but I can't. I only have the information my dad and sister supply me to go on. Your information has been really helpful. I'll be sure to let my dad know that if it comes to the spacer needing to be put in, I know of some people who have had it done and have had success with it. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
              X