Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Runners with Rods?????

Hi,

I am new to this site. I had surgery when I was 12 (I am currently 43). I have been a runner for the past 6 years. I have signed up to do my first marathon in early October. I have been experiencing pain in my lower back (left side) and was having shooting pains down to the calf area. Also, I was having tightness between the shoulder blades (feeling as if my chest was caving in). I don't remember which vertebraes were fused, all I can remeber is that I had two curves in my spine and a steel rod was inserted. I was a kid and don't remember the details of the curves just knew that a brace wouldn't help me and that my lungs would be in danger by the time I was in my thirties. Anyway, has anyone experienced these problems? Also, interested in knowing if there are runners out there and what stretches and excercises help them? I am seeing a physical therapist and am still hoping to do the marathon. Thanks for any advice or feedback!

I used to run with my husband 25 years ago. My doctor said it was ok, but the constant pounding could cause extra wear and tear below my fusion. I stopped after a few years because it was starting to hurt my back when I ran and kids came along. I now need to have my L5 -S1 disc removed and fused due to severe wear and tear!
    T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
    2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
    3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
    Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Hi Suzyruns!
      I am training for my first marathon (I have done a half and several triathlons) and I have 2 rods to correct my s-curve. I had sciatica this summer which was pain in my hip/lower back area, with a numbing sensation down my leg. This was because I had slacked off on running and started sitting in the lazy boy too much!, and ended up with an inflamed disc pushing on a nerve. The main thing that help with the pain was about once an hour I would lie on my stomach and push up with my hands, keeping my hips as close to the floor as possible (arching the lower vertebraes that were not fused) and relax my buttox. I also received other core strengthening exercises I'm supposed to continue such as crunches and plank, and I use a gym ball. Anyway, it all helped, and now I have no pain, and I never had to stop running to fix it.
      Earlier this year I got a bad case of achilles tendonitis and would get shooting pains around my calf and heel, you may want to do a search on that to see if it describes your symptoms more. In both cases I took a mild anti-inflamatory (like alleve) for about 2 weeks and the pain subsided.
      As far as the lungs, I haven't felt the caving in, but I do feel like I am limited on how much air I take in...I have trouble taking deep breaths sometimes. But I do feel a lot of pressure between my shoulder blades, where there is also a hook and screw. My pt said some movements can cause a rubbing. I think with mine, it is some muscles getting stronger that I don't usually use, so hopefully the core strengthening will help.
      Hopefully this helps! Good luck.
      Harrington Rods in 1991 at age 15
      Surgery at Scottish Rite in Dallas, TX

Fused from T-4 to L-3

Comment

Thank you for your responses. I am getting better with the help of my physical therapist and am just about positive I will be on the starting line for the marathon (October 8th). I did a 20 mile run on Saturday and felt a little less discomfort than usual (with the exception of the heat getting to me). I wish you luck in your race. Thank you for the information, I don't feel so much like a loner anymore!

Comment

Good luck to you, too! I can't imagine running over 7 miles without something hurting somewhere!
          Hopefully it will continue to improve with training,
          Harrington Rods in 1991 at age 15
          Surgery at Scottish Rite in Dallas, TX

Fused from T-4 to L-3

Comment

Working...
          X