Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

has anyone ever experienced this before?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• has anyone ever experienced this before?

Hi all! I had the harrington rod procedure done when i was 11 because of 2 curves. Now its been 12 years since and led a very active life with weight lifting and running etc. Now I am begining to have a weird pain between my spine and right shoulder blade. It hurts if someone touches it or if i squeeze my shoulder blades together. Also if I use my right arm a lot. It also feels swollen and tingly at times. The more i use my upper body the worse it feels. I had it checked once a few years ago but he said to stop working out and take an antiinflammatory. Has anyone expeienced this before and can tell me what it was? Its begining to effect my work! I will be contacting my original surgeon soon but i would like to know if im not the only one with this problem.
    Last edited by DAWN1983; 09-10-2006, 03:12 PM.

i haven't had surgery for my scoliosis yet, but your pain sounds very much like what i experience. none of my doctors have been able to figure out what it is though, althought one suggested "costochondritis" (the inflammation of the costal cartilage which connects your ribs to your spine). In addition to what you are feeling, my back also hurts when i breathe deeply. I haven't had much luck treating it though, cortisone shots made it worse, regular ibprofen doesn't help, TENs unit kind of but i can't wear it all the time, and my pain meds kind of work but make me so tired they aren't really worth it. so if you figure out what it is, let me know, because i would love to get rid of it. the whole not exercising thing isn't worth it though, mine feels the same regardless of if i'm exercising or not.

-Abbie
    aBbiE
    22 yr old F,KU college student
    Kyphoscoliosis...
    Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
    Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
    I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
    Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
    all smiles!

Comment

could it be from the rods?

Thanks for the response! I'm really curious if it is from my rods. They come from T5 to L3 and I was thinking it could be from the hook at the T5 level. What really upsets me is that I use my upper body alot at work and I need this fixed. I just started my new career and I dont want this to effect it. I would also love to get back into lifting weights again but i dont see this happening until the pain goes away. If anyone has anything to tell me, please do!!

Comment

Rod problem...

Dawn, I had the same pain years later (I had my original surgery in 1981 and the pain started in 1997). Are you sure you have the Harrington Rod as I didn't think they used them the year you had your surgery. Anyway, after many doctor visits, it was suggested to have my rod removed. I had the upper part only removed as apparently the hook was out of place and that's all they could take out as it was so fused to my spine for being in there so many years. I have to be honest, I'm not sure if that was the answer as I still experience pain, although not as bad, and am in pain management. No one could touch that area of my back. It was so sensitive so I know what you are talking about. Send me a PM if you want and we can chat. Feel better. LYNN
        1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
        2000 Partial Rod Removal
        2001 Right Scapular Resection
        12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
        06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

I started experiencing similar sypmtoms in March. After a CAT scan, xrays and an MRI, a surgeon that specializes in scoliosis and the aging spine said I have two protruding discs in the T7 - T9 area (my fusion starts at T12). The doctor thinks it is wear and tear from that area taking the load of work because of the fusion. I used to be very active, but can no longer teach because of limited arm movement. Even using the computer has become difficult. I go for steroid shots in the spine on 9/19 to try to help the problem.
          Most important, find a doctor that specializes in scoliosis - they know the problems that can develop!!!
          T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
          2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
          3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
          Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your responses. I actually called my original surgeon who did the surgery and said that he would be more than happy to see me and check the area for me. He specializes in scoiosis and only works with children but even tho im 23 years old now he said he would treat me. I'm just scarred that it might be from my rod and that it will have to be removed. I keep reading about all these things that people have experienced and it freaks me out . I hope I keep getting more responses...I really appreciate it. I would also like people who respond to explain the type of sensations that they are getting beside just pain because I have also been getting numbness and tingling it the spot that hurts too.

Comment

Same situation

I just started having similiar symptoms in April. 18 years post-op however I had the Cotrel rods. I've seen gp,chiro,physiatrist, ortho, and next week a spine surgeon.
              They do think it may be the top of one of the rods. We'll see what the spine guy says. You are definitely not alone!

Comment

Working...
              X