understand her pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• understand her pain

Chris , I am sorry you might have not understood totally what I was saying or meant. First understand Dawn was incised ( cut open ) approximately 16 inches , ( Painfull in itself ) then she had her discs removed ( painful to be expected ) then she had temporary wedges implaced ( not going to tickle ) awhen the nurse was going to do her test's causing dawn pain, She was checking her neurological function , how she did that was to ask her to lift her legs. Now please understand with all that Pain ( normal after the surgery ) Dawn gladly did that , which caused her pain. Dawn would not want anyone to get upset at what happened to her, after talking to her today , she is better already , pain still gone in her leg , and they are sitting her up today.. This sugery is good , her experience is great so far. I felt guilty and bad today that you might not have understood totally, and that I should explain more. Pain is to be expected in this sugery. it's going away already on 1 day after. Once again I am sorry if I didnt explain well , and i would hope you would consider not leaving the forum. Thank you Eric...........
    surgery 9/06
    Rothman institute

Hi Eric, thanks so much for posting. Don't worry about a thing -- you're not responsible for somone staying with or leaving the forum!

We really appreciate your letting us know what's going on. I'm so glad Dawn's more comfortable today. Here's wishing her lots of success with surgery number 2!
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

That's good, I had a feeling it would get better, as it did for me as well.

But once again a lot of pain can be expected with this surgery, and anybody telling others that it's not common or rare is a disservice. I'm sorry but that's how I feel.
      35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
      Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
      Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
      Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
      Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Dont you dare feel bad. You have no need to apologise, for crying out loud. You only told the truth Eric and as Sweetness said if you lied what type of dis-service would you be giving people who read your posts.

Chris made me furious and may I say not for the first time, so please dont worry. You have more on your mind to worry about than upsetting one person.

So glad Dawney's pain is settling down a bit, bless you both.

Macky xx
        Last edited by macky; 09-08-2006, 04:06 AM.
        Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
        Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

Eric,
          You have no reason to feel bad. We all have different experiences and anyone contimplating this surgery knows that. The pain Dawn experienced is not common among those of use who've had this surgery, but it does happen, as do a lot of other things that we don't expect and don't want to think about. You are very courageous for standing by Dawn at a time like this. My husband was amazing throughout my recovery and I can't imagine not having him there to go through it all with me!

If Chris left, it's because she is not ready to handle this surgery and all that comes with it. I've sent her a PM letting her know what I think of her past and present posts. Not sure what good it will do, but please know that she has had many negative posts about all sorts of aspects of this surgery and our recoveries...something she's yet to experience, but seems to know an awful lot about.

Please know that we're thinking of Dawn and wishing her luck through her 2nd surgery!

Comment

I'll echo what everyone else said. No need to apologize or feel bad. We make our own choices. Each of us is different and therefore our experiences are unique. Some like to put us all in the same box so to speak and that's just not how it works. Again, please let Dawn know we're all pulling for her and hope to hear from her when she's up to it.
            Brandi
            Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
            Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
            L1-S1
            Dr. William Lauerman
            Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
            Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
            http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Eric,

You are an amazing and wonderful person. Dawney has found a true and wonderful gift in you. My husband was sooooo amazing during my surgery and now recovery- it will make the two of you even stronger- because you are doing it together.

As far as Chris, honesty IS the best policy. This type of surgery is no "cookie cutter" surgery. Experiences will be different from one person to another. But, what we can do in my opinion is be here for each other. Please do not apologize for another persons ignorance!!!!!
              Angela
              29 y/o f w/76 degree curve.Surgery done on June 26th, A/P, rods, instumentaion, rib removal- now 18 degrees!!

Comment

Working...
              X