Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody know anything about thoroscopic anterior procedures?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody know anything about thoroscopic anterior procedures?

Hello,
    I am a mum of four, my youngest daughter is scheduled for surgery (anterior incision on lumbar curve) 7th September. I am obviously frightened about the whole process and about how much pain she may be in. I have also recently read about new less invasive procedures using scopes to insert the screw, this involves far less trauma to the area and small scars. Has anybody else heard about this and of its effectiveness?
    Any advice is welcome. My daughter is being very brave and has found chatrooms really supportive, so I decided to follow her lead!
    Living in England, I have not managed to find local support except SAUK, a site I found dry and clinical. So thanks in anticipation, to you parents in the US
    mumUK

thoracoscopic procedures

We explored those procedures for our daughter several years ago and went to see Dr. Randal Betz at Shriner's in Philadelphia, PA who was wonderful. He offered her the procedure (T4 - T10) but also thought that she could choose to manage without it, which she chose to do (she was 20 years old and had two ~45 degree curves). He was President of the Scoliosis Research Society in the US and has many other distinctions. Another surgeon, George Picetti, in California had a lot of experience doing that procedure at that time, but our insurance would not allow us to have his services. It is likely that many surgeons are performing this type of surgery for appropriate candidates now.

Comment

Thanks for the reply

i will continue to look into this and grill our surgeon on our pre op visit on monday!
      Thanks
      mumUK

Comment

hi! i'm a member of a forum which is more UK based (though we have members all over the world) and i know one person who had the surgery you mentioned in the UK.

in all honesty, it's not something i would ask a surgeon to do, either they do it that way or they don't, they're best to go with their most comfortable technique. the person i know had surgery at QMC in nottingham. where and by whom is your daughter having surgery?
        diagnosed aged 14 (2001)
        braced from july 2001 to february 2003 to hold curves
        fused T11-L3 on july 16th 2005 (aged 18)
        Discharged by surgeon july 11th 2007 (aged 20 and almost 2 years post-op)
        scoliosis support forum

Comment

Hello Marmyte

My daughter is having surgery ay Gobowen in Oswestry, Shropshire, the surgeon is Tevidi, he also works at Stoke Mandeville, he is good and we trust him, I just want to know we have explored ALL options. We see him on Monday and I will speak with him about this technique then. I have a feeling they only do it when it is the thorasic curve that is the primary curve, my daughter has a primary 68% lumbar and a 46% compensatory thorasic curve. How are things for you at the moment?
          mumUK

Comment

i know oswestry has a great reputation in orthopaedics, you've survived the "postcode lottery" well there!

thanks for asking how i am: the answer is couldn't be better. i see my surgeon next march or april for the last time ever (which will be strange as i'll have been seeing him for 6 years by then and i'll be 20 compared to 14 when we first met!) i'm really pleased with the results from my surgery and am moving off to university in leeds on saturday!
            diagnosed aged 14 (2001)
            braced from july 2001 to february 2003 to hold curves
            fused T11-L3 on july 16th 2005 (aged 18)
            Discharged by surgeon july 11th 2007 (aged 20 and almost 2 years post-op)
            scoliosis support forum

Comment

I know this is a bit different because I am 'old', but I had anterior only surgery (with 2 ribs removed) on a big lumbar curve and a smaller thoracic curve in February this year. I am also in the UK (in South Wales). I am doing well from the surgery and am pretty much back towards a normal life (whatever that is!).

The pain from the sugery itself was very well managed at my hospital and given your daughters age I think she should bounce back a lot faster than me (I am 43!).

As regards the miniamally invasive surgery, I don't really think there is too much option of it in the UK - after all, I don't think its that common in the USA. Personally I would prefer to have my surgeon know what he is doing (from experience) and end up with a bigger scar than have him do something he was not so confident in.

I wish your daughter lots of luck and echo what Marmyte says about checking out the Scoliosis Support Forum. They are a really great bunch of people!
              Double 63(T)/75(L) deg curve with big sideways shift - Surgery in UK on 8th February 2006.
              Post op 30(T)/33(L)
              http://warpedwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
              X