Live Broadcast of Scoliosis Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mariya,
    I have to agree with what you are saying about knowing too much before going into this surgery. As much as I enjoyed watching the short clips of surgery on The Learning Channel, and hearing stories from people here, I'm glad I did not see anyone's recovery.

People kept asking me what I was going to be like and I just kept saying, "I'll find out and deal with it when I wake up." I really don't think that anyone can mentally or emotionally prepare for the recovery part of this experience. All I wanted to know was that I was going to be ok when I got on the other side of the surgery and that if I wasn't ok, I and my family were prepared to deal with it. A lot of people asked if I was scared of becoming paralyzed and I would tell them that it's a risk and if it happened, again, I'd deal with that when I woke up. Seeing the surgery on TLC did give me hope but I can see where something this detailed could make people more anxious than they need to be. Being on the other side now and feeling perfectly healthy, I'm very interested in seeing what happened in that OR.

Comment

Hi Heidi,

Interesting how you also refer to "the otehr side" when you talk about being post-op. Me too I always talk about the post op as being on the other side and i jsut feel that i am on this side right now and after surgery I'll be on the other side. Sometimes I just can't wait anymore to be there on the other side because i jsut want to be OK and NORMAL again and ASAP.

It was really hard to watch the videos as they made me cry and you jsut realize what kind of an ordeal we have to go through...not easy well atleast for me. I think giving birth was easier to do than this. I hope that I'll be OK also and its less than three weeks to the surgery...

Thanks,

Mariya
      30 yrs, mom to two girls ages 9 and 7
      8/9/04 - 18* thoracic and 42* lumbar
      3/7/06 - 22* thoracic and 45* lumbar (38*kyphosis)
      4/8/08 - 38* thoracic and 50-52* lumbar (54* kyphosis)

2007 - Scheduled surgery but cancelled due to no major health issues at the time.
      2011 - Back pain, spasms, sciatica, difficulty doing any physical work/activities w/o following back pain and spasms. Revisiting surgery decision and soon to schedule a doctors appointment to determine the progression since 2008.

Comment

There's also no shame if some of us are squeamish, b/c for me it's not fun knowing all they did to me and especially since it's been three times now in the last 8 years. It's just reliving it and I don't care for that. I didn't like the hammering they did on a young woman's spine when I saw it on TV, I don't know if they still do that, but it wasn't the blood that bothered me.
        35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
        Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
        Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
        Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
        Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

It is 10:18 a.m. in Calif., and when I tried to click on to watch the webcast, it said "Archive version will be available shortly, check back later." Guess I just missed it I'm really bummed....

Comment

Hi...

I didn't watch it, so I'm not sure how they got it done in so little time, but it started at 9AM Pacific time. I'm guessing that it wasn't really "live." As you noted, there will be an archive version, so you should be able to watch it soon.

--Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

According to the website, they were only showing the "golden hour" of the surgery, not the entire surgery. It should have been broadcast in California from 9am to 10am.

Comment

Watching the surgery

I am watching it right now and it is truly amazing! These doctors are unbelievable. They are talking throughout and explaining everything. They look so relaxed. God bless them and their minds and hands. Good luck to everyone heading down this road. LYNN
                1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
                2000 Partial Rod Removal
                2001 Right Scapular Resection
                12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
                06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

I watched the webcast and yes it was live. There will be (if not already) an archived link to click on to view the procedure. Very cool to see, IMHO.

Just curious if anyone knows... the pedicle screw technique they used - is this the "latest" in technology? or are they outdated in what is typically used for scoliosis correction in healthy teenagers? Just wondering.
                  Carmell
                  mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Linda,
                    Where can we see the 1 hour surgery webcast again? You said there'll be a archive. Can you tell me how to find it? Can it be viewed with dial up? (doubt it!)

Thanks! Berta
                    Berta in Hawaii

Comment

yes Berta, just go to akron childrens hospital and it will show you what to click on to view it.i have dial up and just watched it .i was nervous to see it but i really wasnt freaked out about it like i thought i would be.it was very informative and answered some of my questions.
                      Trudy T60 L70 posterior surgery feb.8th 2007

Comment

The archive is available here:

http://www.or-live.com/akronchildrens/1563/
                        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I just watched it, WOW. I guess it's not for the squeamish as my husband walked in the room and watched for less then a minute said "YUCK" and left! LOL! I told him he should watch it to see how it is done and he said he prefers not to be that familiar with what is in my back. The screws and hooks were all placed before the broadcast, except for 1 screw. They showed how the screws are placed then did the rods. They got about 50% correction just placing the rods and before they even started to un-rotate the spine or do much correction. I would have liked to see how they place the bone graft but, they only had an hour.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzy
                            I would have liked to see how they place the bone graft but, they only had an hour.
                            In the surgeries I've observed, the bone graft is just placed on top of the spine, before the retractors are released. I think that the pressure of the soft tissue keeps it in place.

--Linda

Comment

I watched it a bit yesterday because I was too curious not to take a peek.....ahhhhh! I made it halfway thru & that was enough for me! It seemed to make me a bit more achey! although, these surgeons completely amaze me! thank god they are skilled to do this!!!! Ly

Comment

I watched it yesterday and am glad that I did. My husband didn't want to watch it. I want to know everything that I can about what is happening to me. I guess we are all different that way!

Comment

Working...
                                X