Live Broadcast of Scoliosis Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live Broadcast of Scoliosis Surgery

Akron Children's Hospital to Air Internet Broadcast of Spinal Fusion Live From the OR

AKRON, Ohio, Aug. 23 /PRNewswire/ -- On Friday, Sept. 8, from noon to 1 p.m., doctors, parents and patients from across the globe can watch a live surgery to correct scoliosis - from the convenience and comfort of their own homes or offices. The one-hour live webcast will show Akron Children's Hospital's Musculoskeletal Health Center Director William Schrader, M.D., and Patrick Riley, M.D., surgically correcting a scoliosis spinal deformity.

For most patients, scoliosis requires only observation and repeated examination in the growing years. However, a small number of cases need medical intervention, such as bracing or surgery.

Bracing is often prescribed for children who are still growing and have a spinal curvature between 25 and 45 degrees. Surgery is generally recommended for curves greater than 45 degrees. Surgical treatment is specific to each patient's situation.

During the webcast, the pediatric orthopedic surgeons will use a series of rods, hooks and screws to straighten the spine, including the latest pedicle screws, which eliminate the need for postoperative bracing or casting and increase the overall rate of correction and healing.

"Pedicle screws provide very stable purchase to the vertebra," Dr. Schrader said. "In fact, they've been shown to improve correction of the spine by as much as 30 to 50 percent over previous systems."

If left untreated, scoliosis exceeding 50 degrees can lead to long-term issues, such as diminished lung capacity and the development of restrictive lung disease.

To watch the preview video or to tune in to the live webcast, go to www.akronchildrens.org/story/ and type "scoliosis" for the keyword.
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Wow... I've got it marked on my calendar, I plan to watch it, but I'm not sure if I'll make it through the whole thing... sure, my surgery was 12 years ago, but this could be rough So as much as I am curious and want to watch this, I also kind of don't. I'm definitely going to try!

What do the rest of you think, especially those who have had surgery so recently?? I'd advise exercising caution and turning it off immediately if it affects you negatively...
    Jen
    24/NY
    Harrington rod placement & fusions
    11/2/94
    60T, 35L

Comment

I will definitely be taking my lunch hour to watch! The preview was amazing...I can only imagine how great the entire webcast will be! Just 3 weeks prior to my surgery, I watched The Learning Channel's episode of "Extreme Surgery" where they did the fusion surgery on a little girl and I was amazed and could not wait to tell my surgeon about it. I love watching all sorts of medical shows, so this will be great. I've always wondered what went on in that OR while I was knocked out for 12 hours...

Comment

Kind of squirmy

I watched another live surgery for about 20 minutes before I went into surgery and it freaked me out. I would advise not watching it if you are going into surgery or thinking about it in the near future. Now that I'm through it and on the other side I think I would view it differently. I will again attempt to watch and wonder in amazement that I actually went through it..

Comment

Want to try and watch it

Yes, I am 4 1/2 weeks post-op and want to try and watch it. The preview is kind of gruesome, but it doesn't stop me from watching it. Now that I'm on the other side, I can handle it, but don't think it would be a good idea if you are having surgery soon. The rest of my family says "yuck", but they came over to see what the preview was. I also saw the "Extreme Surgery" on tv but it was not offensive that I recall, infact very informative.

Deb

Comment

For me it's the opposite, I have watched scoliosis surgeries on TV in the past, and wanted to get as much info before my last surgery, even if I don't find it to be a nice experience and do think it's gross. Now I just don't feel like watching it again and I feel it would be scratching the wound so to speak, and reliving some of my experiences in the hospital, so I will not watch it.
            35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
            Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
            Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
            Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
            Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

I would like to watch it but I will be experiencing LIVE surgery at the time. I did watch a snippet of one on another website. It was one of those things I didn't want to watch but couldn't look away.
              surgery 9/06
              Rothman institute

Comment

Very cool, will definitely check it out. Thanks, Linda.
                Brandi
                Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                L1-S1
                Dr. William Lauerman
                Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Yeah I saw that about a week ago. I posted it on spinekids and I was getting ready to come here and post! lol!
                  ~Leelee ♪
                  [-] 17 years old
                  _[-] 12th grade
                  [-] scoliosis, 45T and 42 L
                  _[-] kyphosis, 67*
                  [-] Boston brace for 4 years
                  _[-] Stopped 6/8/05 at 4:32 PM

Comment

I'm with HGD24. I can't wait to watch how it is done. I found another short version of a scoliosis surgery on line and had seen a surgery video at a support group before I had my surgery and it left me wanting to see more. I really would have loved to have had my surgery video taped. If you think about all they do while they are in there fixing you, how could you not be interested and want to see how this miracle is done? I have always thought I would have been a good surgery room RN, I think medicine is fascinating. Those who can't handle the sight of blood won't do well. It is a messy surgery from the few I have seen.

Comment

Could you tell me if I could get that in Illinois? I don't know what channel that would be on here. The time is noon EDTcorrect. I am on CDT but I can get the time correct just not sure if I could get that here. I would be very interested in watching it.
                      Thanks Mattie

Comment

It's on the web so anyone could get it! Take a look at the site Linda provided..

I'm not sure if I want to watch!

Comment

JamieAnn, thank you so much. I misread Lindas post and thought it ws on TV.
                          I will be sure and try to watch it.
                          Mattie

Comment

My husband and I watched an entire spinal fusion video before I had surgery- I had a really rough time with it- knowing what was about to happen to me. My hubby on the other hand was very into watching and knowing. I would highly suggest that unless you are a vast collector of info and need all the knowledge you could possibly have before this surgery- maybe watching it after your surgery would be best for any of you about to have this. I will watch it again for sure now- but it scared the crap out of me before I had the surgery. This of course is only my opinion.
                            Angela
                            29 y/o f w/76 degree curve.Surgery done on June 26th, A/P, rods, instumentaion, rib removal- now 18 degrees!!

Comment

I agree...

Hi Angela,

I agree with you. Me and my husband also happened to watch a video of the entire surgery on the internet and if it was definately not so pleasant to have seen what is about to happen since I am going for my surgery on Septemeber 19. It just made me worry and I did regret watching it because it just made it worse for me. I honestly don't recommend watching anthing like that if you are thinking of having surgery, it just simply doesn't do any good. I wish I did not see as it just made me so nervous. Oh, I also happened to see a 14 year girl's story and her video of the before and after surgery on video on the internet (iscoliosis.com) and that really freaked me out. I was relieved to know what I should expect in regards to the day at the hospital on the day of the surgery and also the way I would be after surgery. I also got to see her recovery at one month post op then 3 months and 6 months. I was relieved to see that everything turned out to be Ok and that she was fine and normal again. But still seeing what she had to go through sure enough made me think about it a lot and I was just crying for a couple of days because it was depressing to see her recovery. Its one thing to hear about patient stories but its definately scary to see it in actuality.

I will definately watch the video after my surrgery as I don't want to get emotional again. Thanks Linda for all your responses as they really answer most of my questions on this forum.

Mariya
                              30 yrs, mom to two girls ages 9 and 7
                              8/9/04 - 18* thoracic and 42* lumbar
                              3/7/06 - 22* thoracic and 45* lumbar (38*kyphosis)
                              4/8/08 - 38* thoracic and 50-52* lumbar (54* kyphosis)

2007 - Scheduled surgery but cancelled due to no major health issues at the time.
                              2011 - Back pain, spasms, sciatica, difficulty doing any physical work/activities w/o following back pain and spasms. Revisiting surgery decision and soon to schedule a doctors appointment to determine the progression since 2008.

Comment

Working...
                              X