Taking care of the incision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking care of the incision

My daughter 12, is 4 days post-op with a fusion of T3-L4.
    I know it is probably too early but I'd like to hear any advice on taking care of the wound once we go home and we get the ok from the doctor for her to shower.
    I am specifically wondering what to use -if anything- to make it heal nice and even....vitamin E, A,.... the most natural product possible.
    Thanks,
    Pola

Hi Pola...

You should follow the advice of your daughter's physician.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi! My son will be 6 weeks post op tomorrow. He still has a couple small spots where there are little scabs (ewww, gross, I know!) but a friend of mine said she used Mederma on her son's scar once it was healed. I plan on doing that, and asked our surgeon and she was fine with it, too. She said to wait until it was completely healed of course, but then to apply it according to the directions.

Just my 2 cents worth!

I hope your daughter's recovery goes very well! My son was fused the same as she was, too.
      Laurie
      mom to Josh age 15, double curves 77T/55L Posterior spinal fusion done at age 13 on July 10, 2006 from T2 - L5 Now 35T/25L

Comment

scar care

Hi I worked for a plastic surgeon for a while. Let me share with you what we told our patients, but like Linda said - check with your Dr. Actually you could call a plastic surgens office and talk with the nurse about "scar massage" - or spend the money for the consult.

After the incision is healed and edges are closed well (about two weeks?) begin doing scar massage. You gently press with one to two fingers and make small circles with out lifting your fingers on top of the scar, then move to the next area beside your fingers and to again. You should use some type of lubricant like mederma or lotion - studies have shown that there is not much difference in the outcome whether you use one or the other. You should do this everyday. Our body keeps producing scar tissue and this massage tecniqe helps to "turn off" that process and keep it from getting to thick. Make sure that you don't massage in an way that will pull your incision apart.

Keep the scar out of the sun and be aware that it can go through dark shirts or bathing suits. So still put sunscreen (preferably one with micronized zinc oxide) on the scar even if it will be coverd (if you will be out in the sun). With normal healing should see a big difference in 3 months. Keep in mind that it takes a full year before a scar completey heals and fades.

I do know that with some individuals who form Keloids (a really thick scar )(mostly with dark skined individuals) you need to see a plastic surgeon and they can inject a steroid into the keloid and "turn off" the process.

If by some reason you don't like your scar - you could always see a plastic surgeon and have a resection done. This involves local injections then cutting out smaller areas and redoing them - the idea being that you would get a better scar without so much tension like there was on the long incision when it was healling.

Some surgeon close with a permanent suture to the deep layer and then an "under the skin" layer of disolvable sutures and place steri strips on top. You will have a better scar with the above procedure than with staples. Sometimes staples or exterior sutures stay in too long and leave a "railroad" track appearance - I doubt they do that anymore.

Hope this helps.

Gayle

You can also do a web search for scar massage - here is a link I found

How to Improve the Scar
        Scar Massage
        The body heals wounds by laying down new proteins. The healing area is a ridge that can be felt along the site of the cut. Massage can help this smooth out to a flat surface.

Using a thick moisturizer (cocoa butter, vitamin E, shortening), rub the wound for 5-10 minutes twice daily. You must use enough pressure to change the color of the cut from pink to pale. Benefits from massage last until all the pink is gone from the wound. Wait for 3 weeks after the cut is repaired before massaging.

Sun Protection
        Any fresh scar (one that is still pink) can get sun burned, even in dark skinned people. Once a scar gets burned or tanned, it will not fade back to its normal color and a dark spot will always be present. It is best to avoid sun on a fresh wound. Clothing with long sleeves, full length pants and hats provide good sun protection. If the wound is not covered by clothing, it should be covered with sun block. The zinc and titanium oxide based sun blocks (which are waterproof) work the best, but any sun block with SPF of 15 or greater will work if applied often.

http://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/h...ose/wounds.htm

(I personally wouldn't use shortening )
        Mom to Chelsea - 13yo with 60 degrees kyphosis due to Sheuremann's Disease. T8-T12 have fused together (on their own) anteriorly.
        Dr. Betz (Shriner's Philladelphia) states that she needs anterior release and posterior fusion

Comment

there are so many ideas on this and i think the main thing is wait until the skin's knitted over properly. after that it's really up to you. i haven't used vitamin E on mine but some friends have and found it to be good, but my scar's healing beautifully without.

i was going to mention keloids and sun safety but the last reply covered that it's vital in the first few months to keep it out of the sun. it wasn't until a year on that i really exposed my scar to the sun (partly because i live in the freezing cold UK )
          diagnosed aged 14 (2001)
          braced from july 2001 to february 2003 to hold curves
          fused T11-L3 on july 16th 2005 (aged 18)
          Discharged by surgeon july 11th 2007 (aged 20 and almost 2 years post-op)
          scoliosis support forum

Comment

I am still at the stage where I follow exactly what they instructed us on discharge day: Changing the dressing that covers the steristrips......I have to do that until September 5th when the doctor sees my daughter again.
            I was very interested in all the massage info, it makes good sense and I heard a nurse explain that same thing too. Thanks

Inetzer, how's your son doing? I read some of your previous posts and like you said he was fused the same as my daughter and gained 2-3 inches. Did he find it hard at first to balance his body? Did he favor one side in the beginning? My daughter came out 2 inches taller and longer but her body tends to favor the left side. Her surgeon was very plased with the results and told us her post-op x-rays looked great and it is a matter of time for her to work on correcting her shoulder and posture. I want to believe that that's the way it will be since she is only 11 days post-up and still takes very short walks and looks rather stiff.....Once she feels more comfortable hopefully her body will balance and look more natural.
            Anyone else had a similar issue after surgery?

Other than that she is doing great managing pain, sleeps well through the night and enjoys watching a lot of DVDs!
            Pola

Comment

pola, haven't got anything to add, but repeating; just follow your drs advice. Hopefully you can start to relax a bit now surgery is over and you see your daughter doing well. Do you know how much straightening they achieved.

Really just meaned to say; thinking of you and your family and hope for a speedy recovery for all of you

gerbo

Comment

Pola,
                My daughter is 10 weeks post op. For awhile after her surgery she walked hunched over. She said she was afraid to straighten up. Now she is standing and walking tall. Her friends are envious of her perfect posture. Her scar looks awesome, just a thin pink line. I think it just takes time for them to get used to their new body. Shelby also gained 2 inches in height, her torso just looks so much longer. She is back in school, hanging out with her friends and starting to feel somewhat normal again. Sometimes too normal as she thinks she can do things that are still restricted for her. Just give your daughter time and I am sure everything will work out fine.

Kathy
                Daughter Shelby (almost 13)
                44T 64L Corrected to 10T 10L
                Posterior Fusion T4 to L4
                June 19, 2006

Comment

Pola:

Hi! Yes, even that very first time he stood up, he kind of leaned to one side a little. When we had our first post-op appt. 10 days later, the doctor said she considered bracing him since it was such a huge difference in his height. She gave him 2 weeks to find his "center of balance," she said to practice in the mirror standing straight and find his center, and to concentrate on his walking as he tended to look down when he walked. He was walking perfectly within the week. We've since gone back to see her two weeks ago and she said he looked like a million bucks, very straight and tall, and his x-rays looked good. I was a little surprised that his curves weren't less than they were, but she said she got the best correction possible. We went thru some bad times with shoulder blade pain those first few weeks, too, but now he only needs a pain pill, usually half a pill, to sleep at night and we are 8 weeks out as of this past Monday. It really does get better and now we are considering sending him back to school next week as we were going to home school. I'm utterly amazed and very proud of him and his progress! I wish you and your daughter all the best!
                  Last edited by lnetzer; 09-02-2006, 11:09 AM.
                  Laurie
                  mom to Josh age 15, double curves 77T/55L Posterior spinal fusion done at age 13 on July 10, 2006 from T2 - L5 Now 35T/25L

Comment

Thank you Tulsamom and Inetzer. Very relieved to hear your stories. I thought I had read about every possible pre- and post op issue in the forums, but ofcourse every kid is different and there is always something that you are not prepared for. This coming Tuesday we will see the doctor and I can't wait to see what he says.

My daughter is beginning to look more natural when walking (for a few minutes that she lasts) and I have high hopes that her balance will gradually settle. She hasn't been eating very well which makes her rather weak so I am concentrating on that now as well.

Gerbo, thanks for "finding" me on this thread. Almost a year ago I was wondering about how to wash and dry the straps. Now it's about changing the dressing of her incision........ YOU always talked about happy surgery stories in the forum ......I believe my daughter is one of them....Thank you
                    The doctor said she now has less than 10 degrees and told her he wouldn't even call it scoliosis. I believe we will get the oficial measurement this week.

Thanks,
                    Pola

Comment

P.S.
                      Hey Gerbo,
                      hope you will be watching Marcos Bagdhatis tonight versus Agassi.......It's going to be a great match. Being in the States now I will have to listen to the American commentators.......
                      Can't imagine what is happening in Cyprus....

Comment

YOU always talked about happy surgery stories in the forum ......I believe my daughter is one of them....Thank you
                        that makes me really happy to hear that!!

she now has less than 10 degrees
                        wow, wow, wow!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cyprusmom
                          P.S.
                          Hey Gerbo,
                          hope you will be watching Marcos Bagdhatis tonight versus Agassi.......It's going to be a great match. Being in the States now I will have to listen to the American commentators.......
                          Can't imagine what is happening in Cyprus....
                          poor agassi,

Bagdhatis will get my support

Comment

Working...
                          X