can you feel the rods in your back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can you feel the rods in your back?

just curious to know if you can feel all the hardware that is put into your back trudy,
    Trudy T60 L70 posterior surgery feb.8th 2007

The first three months to a year, I felt them on and off. For years after that, I did feel a pressure, not specifically rods but some weight with change of weather or if I was tired. I do feel screw pains now(two at around T5), and I'm trying to get relief by going to a pain clinic soon.

I guess some feel the hadware from time to time, but most of the time not.
    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Hi Trudy...

Most of the people with whom I discuss this tell me that they can't feel their implants. Other people, right from the start, are hyper aware of their implants.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

rods??

I have 2 rods on each side of the thoroclumbar curve & don't feel anythg on them........................Ly
        http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com

Comment

I don't feel the rods per se...just a feeling that something is in there.
          Brandi
          Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
          Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
          L1-S1
          Dr. William Lauerman
          Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
          Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
          http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Sometimes I do like when I lean back in a chair with a hard back, not when I'm in bed or on a comfy couch.
            Jenn
            37 y/o female
            60 degree lumbar
            45 degree thoracic
            1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
            T 5 to S 1
            NYC

Comment

I do feel the rods or maybe I just feel that "something" very hard is there. It is funny tho.. the more time goes on the more I do not notice it as much. I have a feeling/hope that over time it will just become what is "normal" for me and I won't notice them.
              Angela
              29 y/o f w/76 degree curve.Surgery done on June 26th, A/P, rods, instumentaion, rib removal- now 18 degrees!!

Comment

I can feel only the left rod with all it's screws when i touch it, and ofcourse when i lean back on a hard chair or laying down on a hard floor. it's really starting to annoy me and i'm thinking seriously of removing a partial of the rods but i didn't decide yet
                22 years old female, Surgery date: 30 March 2005
                Posterior Fusion with MOSS Miami System: T10-L3
                Lumbar curve: pre-op 50 degrees, post-op 12 degrees

Comment

Definitely feel them; hope it passes

I can feel the rod(s) between my shoulders(goes up to T5). When I am lying down and turn from side to side, it feels like it grinds into my shoulder blades. Also if I am upright or twist my body to the sides, I feel the hardness poking me. If I lift my arms to pick up anything, I feel them.

The surgeon said it is because I don't have much muscle or tissues covering the rods/spine in that area. If I run my fingers along the spine in that area, I can feel some screw heads through the skin. I'm hoping that as I continue to heal, tissue will cover over the metal and it won't be as noticeable. I am just 4 weeks post-op from posterior surgery.

Deb

Comment

Time to heal, building muscles and some amount of fat helps with not feeling the hardware.

Unfortunately when all that has been done and some screws still are felt at times, it can be a nerve that is irritated by it, like in my case right now. I'm amazed at how many feel the ones at T5, between shoulder blades. The lumbar area is easier to deal with screws than the thoracic, as I have experienced.
                    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

I have always been able to feel a screw or the bracket at the very top of my fusion. I can feel it when I lean against something hard and if I run my finger over it. My surgeon keeps telling me with a sweet smile, that I need to put on some weight and that will help alleviate the sensitivity. Apparently, that part of the spine is closest to the skin and so it tends to have less muscle surrounding it and providing cushion. It bothers me from time to time if I over do something using my shoulders. The ache goes away in a day or two normally.

Comment

After surgery I was hyper sensitvie on my back. I couldn't stand a towel sliding back and forth on my back, couldn't stand someone to put anti-biotic ointment on my incision. I could definitely feel my rods...especially when I layed on my back(felt just like I was laying on metal rods...HA!)...but that soon passed and today I can't say I don't know the rods are there...but it isn't the same as actually feeling them.

Kindest Regards,
                        Gail

Comment

Hi Trudy,

I personally don't think I ever actually felt the hardware, I think I just felt the difference. If that makes any sense???

The first couple of months after my surgery I felt like I had two 2" by 6" 's up my back, then 2" by 4" 's. Now I don't feel the hardware at all unless I lean up against something hard and that's only in certain spots. But I too need to add some meat to that area.

Shari

Comment

I know I posted to this once already but after reading Gail's post I wanted to add something. Right after surgery, especially in the hospital, I could feel the rods (or at least what I perceived to be the rods). I could not stand to lie on my back because it literally felt like I was lying on two metal rods. At first, I would bug the nurses to log roll me onto my side with pillows propped under me. Eventually I learned to use the side rails of the bed to do it myself.
                            Brandi
                            Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                            Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                            L1-S1
                            Dr. William Lauerman
                            Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                            Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                            http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

I know what you mean Brandi, the first month after surgery I was straight as a board, felt like two sticks were holding my spine and couldn't even putmy face down forward, as I was so stiff. I remember thinking "what was I thinking" in regards to having surgery. It takes time but the stiffness does lessen a lot.

Comment

Working...
                              X