having mylogram done monday....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• having mylogram done monday....

is it painful? im so worried but very glad to be getting that over with.my husband is wondering if i will be able to drive the next day?anyone had this done? trudy.
    Trudy T60 L70 posterior surgery feb.8th 2007

Hi Gayle-
    To answer your question, I had two myelograms. It hurts a little when they put the needle in your back, just brace yourself but don't tense up.I had my first at age 15 and cried through it.
    I had a strange burning sensation when they injected the contrast dye into my spine. The contrast dyes are alot safer now than when I had my first one in 1982. The dye they used then was metrizamide dye and I had a
    severe reaction to it that caused me to develop chemical meningitis. There
    was only a 1 in 10000 chance of that, but that's the story of my life.
    But don't worry- the dyes are much safer now.
    My second myelogram in 1998 was hard for the doctor to find where to insert the needle because I had already had a spinal fusion to the 4th lumbar. I had no problems after that one.The most important thing is to try to relax, I think they will probably give you some sedative before they start.
    They numb the area and pre-sedate you so the pain should be minimal.Just make sure to follow all of the doctors orders about avoiding sudden changes in position afterwards and whatever position they think you should be in afterward to keep the injection dye from going anywhere it's not supposed to.
    I know you won't be able to drive the same day, not sure about the day after. I would take it slow the next day and if you work arrange to get the day after off too. Hope this helps.
    1982- Scoliosis fusion with Harrington rod T3-L4
    1998- revision surgery for flatback syndrome: fusion extended to sacrum, 2 discs removed/replaced with
    titanium spacers, 2 new short rods attached to Harrington rod, 6 pedicle screws
    2005-found out one screw was broken-surgeon said fusion is solid and not to worry
    2004 to now: neck, shoulder and hip pain, degenerative disc disease in neck, herniated and bulging discs in neck, bone spurs, arthritis

Comment

thanks that does help :-) ...i forgot to ask how long does it usually take for the procedure?
      Trudy T60 L70 posterior surgery feb.8th 2007

Comment

i had heard many things about the myelogram...
        how much it hurts etc..

i won't say it's painless,however it is not as bad as i imagined before having one.
        as janki said,it is very important to be relaxed.
        Following doctor's orders in the numer1 rule for eliminating the pain.

after that,i had to stay in bed without moving for around 7 hours.

about the duration...
        many years have passed,but i think it took about 15 minutes...

Comment

Working...
        X