Thread: not sure what to expect

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

not sure what to expect

Hi! I have a 4 1/2 year old boy who was recently diagnosed via x-ray with scoliosis...he was at 15 degrees...slight left pelvic tilt....thoracic...between T4 and L1....we have an appt. next wk with a ped. ortho....what should we expect? Anyone else have a 4 year old with scoliosis? Thanks, Dawn

Hi Dawn,

My son is 11yrs old now. He was born with congenital scoliosis (we saw the scoli on ultrasound before he was born). There are lots of variables with scoliosis. Scoliosis in small children is rare, and you should have fairly extensive testing to find out if there is an underlying cause. A GOOD pediatric orthopedist will know the correct tests he will need to have done. Does he have any other medical conditions that would contribute to scoliosis? You are in good company. Please let us know how the visit with the ortho goes.
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Thanks for the reply.....No, my son does not have any other symptoms of any other potential underlying problems. When he bends forward to touch his toes though, it seems to me that he has what almost feels like a muscular bump on the right side of his thoracic area...approx. where the curvature is....between his shoulder blades....not sure what that could be.....after reading online about the infrequency of scoliosis showing up in 4yr olds, I'm a bit concerned. Is he considered "infantile" or "juvenile"? We have an appt. with a ped. orthopedist on the 31st of this month....what tests should I push for? Dawn

Hi Dawn,

When he bends over, does the bump look like this? http://www.iscoliosis.com/symptoms.html

The bump is likely because of the rotation of the spine - one side is rotated forward and the other back. Rotation is seen in nearly all scoliosis patients because the spine is so very 3-dimensional.

The classification of scoliosis depends on several things - does he have one or more vertebrae that are not formed correctly? If he does, then he has congenital scoliosis. If the bones of the spine are formed correctly, but curved, then he fits into the very broad idiopathic category.

The type of testing that should be done depends, again, on the type of scoliosis he has. If he has congenital scoliosis (especially in the lower spine) then a renal ultrasound is important to rule out any problems with the kidneys/bladder. A full spine MRI is often a good idea (not necessarily an emergency test) to make sure the spinal cord is healthy and there are no underlying spinal cord causes for the scoli.

These questions will be best answered by the PEDIATRIC (i hope) orthopedists you see on the 31st. Write down your list of questions so you don't forget what to ask. Ask specific questions that are important to your little man. Each scoli patient is different. The treatment options can vary greatly, depending on many variables.

Best wishes and keep us posted.
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Thanks!

Hi, Carmell

Thanks for the information...and your expertise....I really appreciate it right now....you have been a blessing! Dawn

No problem. I wish you both the very best! Keep us informed on how things go.
    Carmell