thoracoplasty, need some info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thoracoplasty, need some info

Hallo, I'm a newbie of this forum. I'm a 28 years old boy, I write from holland (please excuse my awful english). I received corrective scoliosis surgery in 1993 and now I'm waiting for a thoracoplasty to reduce the rib-hump of a 36 degrees residual thoracic scoliosis. Someone could give me some info/advice? Tell me his experience? Time of recovery, esthetic results? Shoulder position after the t.? Front, retro and lateral effect? Better or worse? Significantly? Dorsal (latissimus dorsi??) muscles position after the correction? More symmetrical? Pectoral uneveness? Some effects?

Somewhere in this forum I've read very terrifiying info's, about pain and longness of recovery time.. There is someone here who had had a less traumatic experience with this kind of surgery correction? Or three months of severe pain are the "standard"? General health one year after the thoracoplasty? Other problems? Other things to know?

Thank you for the support.. Have a nice day!

Hello, kid, welcome to the forum!

I had this op a few years back and it was relatively straightforward and uncomplicated compared with the full spinal surgery I had later. that's not to say it wasn't painful, but this was controlled by painkillers after the first couple of weeks (i know that seems a long time, but it wasn't consistent pain, it just got very bad from time to time). I was off work for 3 months.

You won't be able to do much for yourself straight after the op and will need someone there to cook, lift things, etc. you will also be very tired.

Cosmetically, there was an improvement, but don't expect perfection or you'll be very disappointed. I'm not sure I would go ahead with your curve, unless it is progressing (mine was over 50).

Best wishes,

Diana

Comment

Thank you a lot for your answers, Diana. If I could disturb you moreover, after those three months your health state was returned around "normal", or you have had limitations for other time? After the first month was you relatively autonomous, indipendent? Was you able to drive your car, for example, without problems? Without excessive pain?

Other experiences/advices about thoracoplasty?

Have a nice day!
      Last edited by kid77; 08-15-2006, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X