Surgery Monday!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery Monday!

WEll the time has come. I will be having surgery on monday. I have been thinking about it alot lately and have been really stressed out. I dont know why i am so afraid this time but i am. I have tried to get all the last minute things together and things done so I wont have to stress when I am laid up!
    I have not had any luck finding the oral B-brush ups. If anyone knows a specific store that carries them, I would appreciate it so i dont have to go driving all around town. I have tried target and rite aid and no luck.
    I am dreading the ride home alot! We have decided to not rent a car and take our 4 door lexus. It is leather seats and i dont do well with leather. Did anyone lay down in the back seat for the ride home? I will be traveling over 2 hrs from the hospital home. If there is traffic then it will be longer! I am praying there wont be any. Well i would love anyones last minute advise. I will be leaving for los angeles on sunday afternoon.
    I will write probably a few weeks after i come home.
    Thanks so everyone for all your help and support...
    Sarah 25 yrs old- Married with three english bulldogs

1995-Surgery for scoliosis fused T3-L3.
    2000-Surgery for Rod breaking, relaced rod and took out upper rods.
    March 2005-Surgery for removal of all rods.
    August 2005-Fusion of T10-T11 due to crack in fusion, Rods put back in.
    August 2006- Surgery for fusion from L4 to sacrum.

I wish you the best of luck and a speedy recovery. I have not had any luck finding the brush ups. I have been looking, I am going in Sept. for my surgery. I actually thought about cancelling. I am starting to get panicked I guess.
    surgery 9/06
    Rothman institute

Comment

Sarah,

as I stated before you're strong and will get through this, it will be over soon.

About the ride home, a taxi/van that is equipped for this put my wheelchair in and drove me home, it was so much better and I barely felt the bumps, I don't know if you have that service where you live.

Good luck, hang in there, and get some good drugs
      35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
      Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
      Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
      Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
      Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

I'm new to these boards but I've been through that

Slprncess-
        I am a 40 year old lady who had a Harrington rod put in in 1982 when I was 15. In 1998, when I was 32,I had to have 2 of my lower disks removed and my fusion extended to the sacrum like you are having. The best advice I can give you is keep your chin up and make sure you get lots of good physical therapy afterwards. I walked like a penguin for awhile but PT fixed me up.
        As for the ride home from the hospital, I had a 2 1/2 hr trip. I was able to sit up in the car but I was wearing my brace (of course) and it made me sit up real straight- so don't come home in a car with low ceilings. My mom had a Mercury Cougar and I wasn't sure I could get in it. I wish you all the best.
        It's a tough road that we're all on but I am so glad I found this forum. You have a few years of youth on your side so you should bounce back quicker than I did. All the best to you, janski
        1982- Scoliosis fusion with Harrington rod T3-L4
        1998- revision surgery for flatback syndrome: fusion extended to sacrum, 2 discs removed/replaced with
        titanium spacers, 2 new short rods attached to Harrington rod, 6 pedicle screws
        2005-found out one screw was broken-surgeon said fusion is solid and not to worry
        2004 to now: neck, shoulder and hip pain, degenerative disc disease in neck, herniated and bulging discs in neck, bone spurs, arthritis

Comment

Slprncess,
          I had a 2 hr. trip home also. Make sure to ask for a pain pill before you leave the hospital. Also, have a couple of pillows for the ride home. I discovered sitting up in the car is WAY more comfortable that laying. After buckleing your seatbelt, put a pillow against the door, one to "hug" and a thin one for your head.

Good luck
          SandyC

Comment

To slprncess-don't be afraid to take the pain meds

Hi-
            It just occured to me to tell you not to be afraid to take and ask for pain medication. I normally don't like to take anything- but in the case of that surgery I had no choice. The key is to stay ahead of the pain don't wait until you're a 10 or even a 7 on the pain scale to ask for meds.
            They gave me Percocet and Flexeril in the hospital and for when I came home.
            Have someone at home help you and write down a schedule of what you are taking and when, because it is really easy to lose track when you do it yourself.
            Wishing you all the best. You'll be in my prayers.
            1998- revision surgery for flatback syndrome: fusion extended to sacrum, 2 discs removed/replaced with
            2005-found out one screw was broken-surgeon said fusion is solid and not to worry
            2004 to now: neck, shoulder and hip pain, degenerative disc disease in neck, herniated and bulging discs in neck, bone spurs, arthritis

Comment

I had a little over a hour ride home after surgery. I had to lay down in the back seat for the ride home. I started out in the front but about ten minutes into the ride my husband had to pull over and let me get into the back seat. I had pillows and every thing I could think of to help but I was miserable until I laid down then it wasn't unbearable.The nurse gave me a pain pill right before I left thank god. Every one has different pain tolerance. I always thought I had a high pain tolerance but after my surgery I was beginning to doubt that.
              I thought I would bounce right back but it takes time and lots of time. I don't want to scare you but this is just my experience. Good luck and I hope your recovery goes well. Keep us up to date when you feel up to it.
              Mattie

Comment

Slprncess,
                My best, you will be in my prayers.
                Jess
                March 23, 2006 Anterior/posterior Ileum-T2
                15 1/2 Hours
                Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Comment

Slprncess,

I pray that all went well with your surgery, and that you have a speedy recovery.

Steve

Comment

Slprncess-
                    I know it will be awhile before you get back to these boards but you are still in my thoughts and prayers.Hope all went well for you and I know the pain
                    you are probably in now, but you'll get through it. Us scoliosis folks have so much in common, but perhaps the greatest thing we have in common is that we are fighters and never give up. Waiting to hear with the others how you are doing. God bless. Jan

Comment

I wish you a safe and speedy recovery! When you are up to it, please let us know how it all went.

Brandi
                      Brandi
                      Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                      Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                      L1-S1
                      Dr. William Lauerman
                      Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                      Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                      http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X