No announcement yet.

How am I doing compared to everyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all, I am about 31/2-to 4 weeks post-op. I have not felt depressed but my mom who has been 'babysitting' me tells me I am kind of cranky around2-4pm...maybe it's drugs or lack of! I am 46 also and the week home has been very long but I have kept being as patient as I can & feel this recovery has not been what I had imagined before surgery. I think your imagination is always worse on what it will be like. I take it slow & lie down whenever my back aches which is quite often thru the days, I beleive today was the first day I have come downstairs to the kitchen for lunch...then back to lying down....nice accomplishment. Do try & be thkful for every day you make small steps to progress........Love, Lynne.....................
    ps. peachtree--what was your horrible hospital experince--you can P.M. me if you want to..............
    Last edited by lelc2002@yahoo; 08-24-2006, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Peachtree how are you doing now 2 wks later?

Hi Peachtree,

You didn't write back to let us know how you are doing now that it is 2 weeks later than your post on the 9th when you were struggling. Hope that your problems are improving; each week does get better.

I am 4 1/2 weeks post-op and doing pretty well for the most part. The pain is way down and I feel like I can start cutting down on the meds. I am eating pretty well, although the constipation is still a big problem that hopefully will improve. The heat does bother me, especially with this hot brace. I sweat and get heat waves and queasiness at times.

In the morning when I get up, I am very stiff and my back feels arthritic, but once I get moving, it improves. My walking is pretty stiff and slow, but I can go about anywhere I want, just slowly, like a turtle! Getting in and out of the car is still pretty hard, but I can go out for short errands. Just can't stay out real long as I get tired quickly and have to lie down to rest. I'm going to keep my hospital bed out in the living room for another month yet, because it lets me get lots of rest without having to be isolated back in the bedroom all the time.

In general, my husband and I are pretty amazed how well this recovery has gone, especially at my age, 47. But of course, there are discouraging moments along the way. Let us know how you are doing!!

Deb

Comment

I'm still kickin

Hey everyone, I'm still struggling in some areas but than I'm making good progress in others. I went for a walk with my daughter this morning and she commented on how fast I was getting...(I was walking to a yard sale and didn't want to miss the good stuff I haven't stopped to think about it much but she was right..My pace has improved and I feel like I passed a hurdle...I'm still not sleeping well, which can really affect my mental outlook and physical progress. I haven't driven yet I'm still chicken...The meds I'm slowly trying to ween myself but it's a bitter sweet thing, I try to do more and the pain level increases. This morning I made breakfast for the family for the first time. That was exciting and I felt like I was contributing to the family again. I'm going to sleep in my bedroom with my hubby for the first time this evening. We will see how it goes I guess. My ribs removal area is still very numb and painful in a strange way but I'm excited to read that that will go away in the next few months. Strangely it's going well I guess . This has for sure been the biggest and hardest thing for our family. The affects on the kids, my dear and awsome husband and our business have been affected. I hope your all progressing too...

Comment

Deb, peachtree----you gals make me feel like all is ok! I just went for a walk with hubby & my 7 yr old son. We have a ski slope driveway/hill so they thought it best if they drive me down the driveway to level ground-so silly but safe I guess!!!! I did great! The hardest part as you said, Deb, is getting in & out of the car-rough with long legs! My son grinned from ear to ear when he saw me plugging along.....
          I also get occasional chills & weird feelings from the pain meds(only on percoset now) I do not feel as emotional/ cranky /as I was on the oxycoton & percoset together. I was told by Pain Managemt in NYC-HSS that I probably should have stayed a bit longer on the oxycoton but it was too late, I went off 2 days ago & no strange feelings....so all looks ok...
          Constipation has been the worse thing out of all of this surgery to me! It has been way worse than I ever expected......Hubby bought me Senecot today because the stool softner does'nt seem to help...is this the same for a lot of you???? thks Lynne

Comment

Constipation is the worse thing about this surgery/recovery. Stool softeners do not work by themselves, neither do fiber supplements. I was advised to try Senekot S as opposed to regular Senekot or PeriColace as opposed to regular Colace because they both have Senna in them.
            Brandi
            Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
            Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
            L1-S1
            Dr. William Lauerman
            Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
            Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
            http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

thkyou Brandi-----I'm trying Senecot.....

Comment

Working...
              X