Driving at last!Yae!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving at last!Yae!

Well guys I just went for my first drive. Made my target date of 6 weeks post op and beat it by 2 days. I went on my own so noone would make me feel any more nervous but it went really well. I drove myself to the heated pool and walked laps for 20 minutes. Wow, it is amazing to start feeling more like myself from this tiny piece of independence. Tomorrow i might go and walk along the beach. Woohoo. Oh i was nervous as hell, like a little teenager driving for the firsat time on my own and was so scared when it came to intersections, but slow and steady wins the race right. I know this might seem a bit ambitious, but id love to drive an hour and half up to my parents place in like a week if i can. Can someone share their experiences with driving around the same time as me. Would love to hear your stories.
    Katie

Hi Katie,

The first time I drove I felt the same way. A nervous teenager exactly!!! I went 1 mile and turned around and went home. I would just keep getting in my car and driving a little farther each time.

Only you can be the judge of how far you are able to drive, because you know your own limitations.

Just be careful that you're not being too agressive in your recovery time. If you're planning on driving a hour and a half, you really should take someone with you.

Just speaking from personal experience,
    Shari

Comment

FREEDOM!!
      I was very anxious, but so happy to be out and about. I still take it slow and easy and must say I'm a much safer driver now. I'm worried about getting into an accident and ruining my surgery!
      Jenn
      37 y/o female
      60 degree lumbar
      45 degree thoracic
      1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
      T 5 to S 1
      NYC

Comment

It was 3 months after surgery before I was able to drive, then just short distances. I live in the country and 6 miles from the nearest town. I wore a turtle shell brace for 6 months so I felt safe as long as I had it on. I was more than ready to get out on my own and drive. To get my independence back was the best part. I was so bored at home and could only go somewhere if someone drove me. Good luck.
        Mattie

Comment

Congrats on achieving this milestone. You truly have cause to celebrate! I do not drive, so this was not an issue for me (no personal experiences to share on this one). Keep up the good work and be safe.

Brandi
          Brandi
          Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
          Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
          L1-S1
          Dr. William Lauerman
          Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
          Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
          http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
          X