Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pain management options

Hey guys,

What treatments have you tried to deal with the muscle stiffness and pain you get from scoliosis? I have a ~45 degree lumbar curve and the pain is very bad. I'm doing physiotherapy (just started 2 weeks ago) and I like it a lot, but physio is sort of a process of strengthening muscles and I am wondering if anyone has tried other things to deal with the pain short-term, such as acupuncture, massage, yoga, etc? My chiropractor won't touch my low back because I have a disc problem. My doctor prescribed Tylenol with codeine to hold me over until I have surgery, but then the surgeon said he doesn't want to operate, so I don't feel good about taking a narcotic for chronic pain, and they were the only thing that has helped. I haven't taken any since I saw the surgeon, but the pain is getting to be unmanageable.

Thanks for any ideas/input!

Kathryn

Hi Kathryn,

I have a 45 degree curve as well, but mine is thoracic. I have a lot of pain in my lower back though.

I find that deep-tissue massages help with my stiffness and pain a lot. I have been trying to get them every few months. I feel like a million bucks after a massage!

I have been wondering about stretches since my back feels stiff a lot. Anyone have any good stretches they would recommend?

Jamie

Comment

Hey Kathryn,

I have a 39 degree curve, or at least had until I started yoga. Not only has yoga improved any discomfort and pain that I was experiencing but it also seems to have reduced the curvature! I also go to massage therapy which helps a lot. Everyone is different so this may not work for you but it is definitely worth a try. I tried everything before yoga - a physio, a chiropractor, a biokineticist, acupuncture you name it. Hope this helps.

Kiera

Comment

Kiera, when my PT allows, I would like to try yoga. Any advise for getting started?

Comment

Hey Shelleylin

I would advise you to find a good yoga instructor that knows something about scoliosis. I had to phone around and get reccommendations and then I found a wonderful centre that offered private therapeutic yoga sessions but after a couple of lessons I joined the regular class without any trouble - it's all about knowing your own limitations and not pushing your body too far. I have gradually improved so many aspects of my body that were troubling me as a result of my scoliosis but over and above that I am now far more comfortable with the way my body looks and feels.

Comment

Working...
          X