Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what happens to smaller curve when big curve corrected?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what happens to smaller curve when big curve corrected?

My doc is proposing correction to my lower 60 plus degree curve, from T-11 to L3 or L4. I also have a compensatory thoracic curve they say is around 45 degrees. The doc says this might correct... to below 25 (is 25 a magic number?) somehow after surgery. He is being conservative, tackling the major curve that causes the most pain and deformity, but I know the thoracic curve "balances out" and is compensatory to the lower. Will I get a whole new world of pain or imbalance in my shoulders, upper back, neck, or hips as this change occurs..? Obvioulsy I want as much flexibility as possible and to avoid unnecessary procedures, but this will leave me in a new situation. I'm 40, have lived with the slow progression my whole life, am pretty much looking forward to the surgery/ change, but wonder about people's experiences who have the larger of two curves corrected.
    60 plus lumbar, 45 thoracic
    first time surgery maybe in Dec 2006
    40 years old, single professional mommy

When I had my fusion surgery I was fused on my major curve (Thoracic) from T4-L2 leaving my compensatory curve to correct on its own. Before my surgery my curves were 45* and my thoracic curve went down to 12* my lumbar to 20*. The amount of correction you will get to your compensatory curve will depend on how flexable your spine is now and many other factors. You should not have an increase in pain or anything in the thoracic curve, but that depends on the person. If you have concerns about this, I would bring them up to your surgeon. Good luck to you.
    Mandy

Comment

Working...
    X