What is a "corset" brace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a "corset" brace?

I am 18 years old, and obviously out of the age range for bracing, but my curves are 42T and 37L, and I have a lot of back discomfort and pain daily. My orthopedic surgeon suggested that maybe wearing a "corset" brace would help support my back and therefore help alleviate some of the pain i am experiencing, although it would probably weaken my back muscles so i would have to exercise more to try and counteract that process.

I was wondering, does anyone know what the formal name for the brace he could be suggesting is, and whether it is a hard or soft brace? ... It blanked my mind to ask my dr. before i left the appointment, and it's basically up to me now to decide if i want one or not to wear only when my back is bothering me.

I have never been braced before because when i found out i had scoliosis i was almost done growing, and surgery has never been an option until recently that my curves have progressed.

Abbie
    aBbiE
    22 yr old F,KU college student
    Kyphoscoliosis...
    Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
    Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
    I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
    Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
    all smiles!

Hi Abbie...

I think "corset brace" usually refers to soft elastic braces, like this one:

http://www.jointhealing.com/graphics...cold_small.jpg

I've been told that braces can weaken abdominal muscles, so that would be something else about which you should be worried.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

thanks linda,

i am having problems with pain in the thoracic region of my back though, so that's why i am at a loss for what in the world he is talking about...

-abbie
      aBbiE
      Kyphoscoliosis...
      Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation

Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
      all smiles!

Comment

Hey

Heres what i found a couple pics

http://www.corsetsandcrinolines.com/...1900/back2.jpg

http://www.orthomerica.com/products/...rset_front.jpg

Hope it helps
        Mák Veronika
        14 yr.o. girl 9th grade
        40T
        54L
        +rotation
        Boston Brace since December 2005
        Location in Florida

I play flute.
        I LOVE ROCK!!!!!

Comment

thank you!
          aBbiE
          Kyphoscoliosis...

Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
          all smiles!

Comment

Hi Abbie...

It might be worth a try, but I sort of doubt that a flexible brace will help with pain. If your pain is constant, you might want to just stop by a hospital supply store and try one on to see if it helps.

Regards,
            Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
            X