Bad Fall Yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Fall Yesterday

I think the thing most on my mind since my a/p is falling. I have been out in my boat, even drove my Harley last week for a bit and didn't feel like there was a problem. The problem found me yesterday when I least expected it. I was going up my backporch stairs and when I pulled on the iron hand rail it broke (rusted) at the base. 5 cement steps up I fell forward but, I was lucky because my face broke my fall on the brick wall. Not over yet. I then manage to fall off the porch where the rail was but again was lucky because the cement broke my fall when my right side hit. My face looks a good bit like hamburger and I am so stiff this morning it's all I can do to move. I go in this afternoon for a butt to neck x ray to confirm everything stayed where it belongs.
    Moral of this story I guess is it can happen anytime when you are least ready.
    Jess
    March 23, 2006 Anterior/posterior Ileum-T2
    15 1/2 Hours
    Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Jess,
    I'm so sorry about your fall. I hope your x-rays reveal that everything in your back is in place and doing well. I'm 18 months post-op (today!) and the thought of falling still scares me. Good luck and get some rest.

Heidi

Comment

Originally posted by HGD24
      Jess,
      I'm so sorry about your fall. I hope your x-rays reveal that everything in your back is in place and doing well. I'm 18 months post-op (today!) and the thought of falling still scares me. Good luck and get some rest.

Heidi
      I think falling scares us all. When I was about 30 days post op I was able to walk or start walking with a cane. I steped off a curb and my came went between the grills of a storm sewer. That one put me back in bed for about a week.
      15 1/2 Hours
      Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Comment

Hi Back...

I can't remember how long it was after my surgery (sometime within the 1st 6 months), I slipped on a stair, landed on the edge of that stair, mid back, and then fell the rest of the way to the bottom. I was really scared. Like you, I went in for an x-ray, and everything looked fine. I had some pain (in my back and in my pride), but was fine otherwise.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine
          Hi Back...

I can't remember how long it was after my surgery (sometime within the 1st 6 months), I slipped on a stair, landed on the edge of that stair, mid back, and then fell the rest of the way to the bottom. I was really scared. Like you, I went in for an x-ray, and everything looked fine. I had some pain (in my back and in my pride), but was fine otherwise.

Regards,
          Linda
          Wow, that would send me into shock. I just had the x rays taken from the fall The hardware is fine from top to bottom (lol) The only place that is giving me a problem is my side where they took out a rib. Big time swollen. As far as pride hell I'm 60 years old, don't have much of that anymore. Anyway I am so glad you weren't hurt. I remember back when pride healed over nite.
          Jess
          15 1/2 Hours
          Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Comment

Good Lord, I'm more stunned you rode your motorcycle, be careful not to hit potholes or something I figure a Harley is a smooth ride, I'm guessing You're tough.

I also fell a few times slipping in the snow but it was a few years post op. Sore but no damage.

Hope you feel better soon, and I know what you mean about falling or getting hurt when we least expect it.
            35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
            Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
            Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
            Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
            Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Originally posted by sweetness514
              Good Lord, I'm more stunned you rode your motorcycle, be careful not to hit potholes or something I figure a Harley is a smooth ride, I'm guessing You're tough.

I also fell a few times slipping in the snow but it was a few years post op. Sore but no damage.

Hope you feel better soon, and I know what you mean about falling or getting hurt when we least expect it.
              I'm not tough just big time stupid. My surgeon told me not to ride for at least 18 months.
              15 1/2 Hours
              Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Comment

BackTalk . . . so sorry that you've had a fall. I do pray the X-ray comes back with negative movement. Your story gave me a flashback to the early nineties when I went back home for Christmas break from University (in S.A., Tx.). I decided to ride one of our horses that was still "green" as far as english riding was concerned and kept her out for a little longer than I probably should have. As I was galloping her she decided to show off her bucking bronco routine with me still in the saddle. Well, needless to say, I lost my footing in the left stirrup and went flying over her neck on the left side. Initially I though I had hit the ground landing on my head, but luckily I hit full force on my left shoulder. Horse flew over me, thank god, and then my entire lower body from the shoulders down to my feet came slamming down onto the ground. Result: broken left collar bone in two places. (When I do it, I do it good!). Now this incident happen 3 or 4 years before Christopher Reeves riding accident, but the doctor told me I was lucky not to break my neck on that fall. Poor Souix, the Appaloosa mare, came walking back to sniff me as I laid on the ground. I was kind of embarrassed because our neighbors and my parents had just came out to watch her as I was working with her. (Unbeknown to me at the time.)
                I had a full X-ray done on the back at the emergency room for obvious reasons, but amazingly my collarbone was the only area that needed attention. I had to wear a funky strap around my shoulders to pull it back to allow the natural healing of the bone for two months. Doc didn't feel the need to bolt it back together. Thank god!

You would think that would persuade me to end my horseback ridin' days. Think again, I ended up riding the same horse the following March over Spring Break. I'm stubborn (and slightly crazy), what can I say.

So, yes you never know if or when you'll take a fall.

Hope your feeling better soon!

Jer
                Last edited by Jer; 08-03-2006, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X