Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

15yrsold. Awaiting surgery. Snowboarder & Basketball player.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15yrsold. Awaiting surgery. Snowboarder & Basketball player.

hello. i am 15 years old and i was diagnosed with scoliosis a couple of years ago. I have tried bracing but unfortunately it didn't work out for me. My measurements are around 60 and 55 degrees, and my family is planning on going through with the surgery. I'm just wondering about some of the side effects, and some things i should be expecting.

What should i be expecting? i knowthat people have different recovery time periods. I'm scared of what is going to happen after the surgery, as well as during [recovery period etc.] I play basketball. How will that be with the running/bending drills they have you do? If i do all these sports and everything, what is --worst case scenario in which i will be affected?

I also snowboard, and i fall a lot on my butt, on my back, and a lot of other places. Usually i get up, and i am fine. But after surgery, will falling impact my back and cause the rods to move differently or what?

Would i also be able to ride roller coasters? =/

Really scared right now, have no idea what to do, or what to expect. replies would be much appreciated =) thank you
    Last edited by annblan; 07-30-2006, 11:53 PM.

Hey annblan,

I am 26 and had my operation in dec 2003 and i am also into my sport, especially basketball. I went in on the 16th and left on the 24th, partly cause i think they wanted minimal staff on cause it was xmas the next day. I spent a few weeks at home watching a lot of tv, Thank god for the sport and movie channels. It is almost 3 years since and it has flown by, I am playing basketball again and have no issues with movement. You just have to be aware of your limitations with movement and that depends on where your curve is. I am certainly glad I had the operation as the pain is no longer a problem and i have the peace of mind that it isnt going to get as bad with age, then if I left it.

Dave

Comment

annblan,

My daughter had surgery just over a year and a half ago. Jamie spent 6 days in the hospital and returned to school at about 4 weeks post-op 1/2 days and full days by 6 weeks. Her doctor would not allow her to even go to an amusement park for 1 year. She went to our local amusement park as soon as it opened this year and the first thing she rode was a rollercoaster. She did fine. I try to keep her away from the wooden coasters because of the way they throw you around, but otherwise, she rides anything she wants.

As for the basketball, I know a young lady who had spinal fusion for her Kyphosis and she is a basketball player. I'm sure her mom will reply (Hi Nikki!) to your post with details, but you can also do a search if you want to read the posts about her recovery and playing basketball.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask, we're all here to help. Have you ever heard of SpineKids? It is a great forum like this one, but it is mosly teenagers on that forum and they are great. Check it out.

Mary Lou
      Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Hi, I do lots of basketball and boardin too

Hi, I guess our situation is pretty similar... I'm 16years old awaiting surgery and I play basketball and snowboard a lot too.
        I know for a fact you'll be fine to go on rides because I already asked that (it was one of the first questions i askd. lol).
        The worst scenario is that you'll hve to stop playin and boardin for 5months or so... but according to my surgeon it shouldn't be that long. You do swimmin after 3months and from there onwards you start your sports again. BUT GENTLY!!!! I know what you mean about fallin over when your snowboardin or dribbling and shootin and doin lay-ups and stuf, I'm a dancer too so unlike you, I'll probably not be able to return to my hobby for a bit longer. All I know about recovery times is that you start swimming 3 months after and you're fully healed and doing your thing by 6months but seeing as you're young like me you should be back sooner. Hope this helps...

x x
        Jenny
        18 years old
        Sept '04 - Diagnosed with 40° thoracic/lumbar curve
        Sept '07 - anterior spinal fusion T8-L2

Comment

Dear Annblan,
          I can tell you this with all the confidence in the world, because my son went through not one, but two scoliosis surgerys. He is now 17 months post-op from his last surgery. He is a basketball player. He had his surgerys done when he was in the seventh grade. By the time basketball season started in his eighth grade, his doctor gave him the ok to play. He did wonderful. Yes, it scared me, when he took a blow that made him go sailing across the gym floor. But, he got up and promised me it didn't hurt him at all. The only thing he can't do is a sit up. During the normal warm-ups that the team does together, the coach has him do push-ups instead. I'm sure everyone is different though. He has a very long fusion T-3 to L-3. I have heard different views on rollercoasters, some doctors would rather you not ride them, and others say it is fine. I guess that would be a question you should ask your doctor.
          LeaEvelyn

Comment

Hi LeaEvelyn,
            How many months after your son's first surgery did he play basketball. What was the reason for his second surgery? My 15 year old daughter is 4 months post op and so eager to get back to soccer.
            Kate

Comment

Hi Kate,

Things were alittle different for my son, than with most children that have scoliosis surgery done. On his eight week post-op check up, his x-rays showed a progression on the bottom part of his spine. His doctor had never had this type of complication before. When x-rays are taken before surgery, the surgeon does bending films to determine what vertabras should be fused. The bottom should have straightened on it's own, instead, it progressed. He had no limitations lifted between the two surgerys. My son was back in surgery four months after his first surgery. He was cleared six months after his second surgery to do anything he wanted. Keep in mind, it's not right for me to tell you how long after his first surgery, that he was able to play basketball. For as I said, no restrictions were lifted, until after the second surgery. It will be different for your daughter.
              All I can tell you is this: There isn't anything he can't do. His doctor even told him to play football if he wanted. But his sport is basketball. The coach has asked him to play on the JV Team this year, and he is going into nineth grade. I'm sure his height helped that, for he is 6'1" and still growing.
              I hope this has helped, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
              Sincerely,
              LeaEvelyn

Comment

Annblann, what you are feeling is absolutely normal. The best thing for you to do is talk to the doctor doing the surgery (if you have one already), or talk to the nurse(s) that work with them. Go to the Spinekids site and look at some of the stories as many of them will give you a very good idea of what to expect. The neat thing there is that different stories will give different details, and when you combine the info rom the stories, you should have both a fairly good idea of what to expect, or what you may want to ask more questions about. Hang tough, you'll get through it. I will offer this: You are a teen with raging hormones, so the highs will be higher, and the lows, lower emotionally. The effects of surgery and recovery are going to compound all of that. Cut yourself some slack and be patient. In the moment things will seem alot worse, but when you look back on it later (weeks, months, or more) you'll have a completely different perspective on it. What is probably the scariest is not the surgery, but of not knowing what is going to happen, and/or what to expect.

Comment

Annblann,
                  I don't play basketball, but I do snowboard and ski. I didn't learn till after my surgery (about a year after) and have never had any problems with either. When I fall from boarding on my butt and back I don't really feel it in my rods, although I think it is more comfortable to fall more flat on my back than straight down on my butt.
                  I have also ridden some roller coasters...I try to avoid the really jerky ones like the Giant and the Flash Back at 6 Flags over Texas, but I don't have any trouble with the some of the ones that just go up and down rather than jerk back and forth.
                  Good luck!
                  Harrington Rods in 1991 at age 15
                  Surgery at Scottish Rite in Dallas, TX

Fused from T-4 to L-3

Comment

Annblan,
                    My 17 (almost 18) yr old daughter is a basketball player (the one MaryLou mentioned). Her doctor was going to release her to play ball at the 8 month mark. However, in our discussion at that time I think he realized I was a little uptight about it. She plays post and you know how rough that spot can be. Anyway, at the 12 month mark he released her to do what she wants, except bungie jump and play football. She plays, what we call, driveway basketball now, and is anxious to get back on the court this year, being it is her senior year in high school and she missed last season because of her surgery. She also rides the four wheeler. She drove me nuts from early on in her surgery. She didn't like being slowed down. She was back in the show pen with her Suffolk Sheep at 10 weeks post op. She wasn't taking no for an answer at showing her favorite show ram. Sure she was tired and probably a little sore (which she wouldn't admit to), but she has done about what she wants and knew her limitations along the way.

The hardest part is that when the doctor releases your child for normal activities is to not worry and be scared. How am I going to react the first time she lands on her back during a game? Probably scared and horrified. Mary Lou has heard about my story of her jumping over the dishwasher door chasing her dad through the house. I cried and hubby held me while he tried not to laugh. Now, can't you see this child landing in the middle of the dishwasher door only a few weeks after surgery. Oh yeah, it wasn't funny then, but I do laugh about it now. Of course, said child told me "Oh, mom quit crying and lighten up."

Crystal too has a long fusion, T-2 to L-2. Normal activities are the same as before surgery.
                    Nikki
                    Last edited by nikyergen; 08-09-2006, 01:58 AM.

Comment

thank you everyone for your responses. they helped a lot. =)

Comment

After Op.

Hey Im 14 and from The UK and have just had surgery.

I feel great and dont regret it atall.

Is the surgery in america different from Uk?

Comment

Working...
                        X