What does problem hardware feel like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sweetness514
    I now put a nice cushion in the car and even bring one in restaurants, it helps so much to sit straight and not touching hard surfaces and I also have short legs(compared to my torso). I had a lot of problems with many screws in the first year of healing, and actually I wanted my doctor to take out a few, besides that hook at T5. I was 5'5, barely 95-100 pounds after I got out of surgery, and I think time and gaining some 15-20 pounds really helped that year, b/c when my hook was taken out, it was the ony one that hurt. That's why it's good to wait, and see if certain things can help besides taking any screws out, and when everything is ruled out and the pain is a real pain in the ass, then it can be removed.

I'm also apple shaped, but I read that as long as the waist is not over 37 inches, it's not that big of problem concerning health risks. Mine is at about 28-29. It can bring low back pain too.
    I hate to sound klike a real dumb ass but what is this hook you keep talking about?
    Jess
    March 23, 2006 Anterior/posterior Ileum-T2
    15 1/2 Hours
    Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Comment

A hook I had taken out a year after my initial surgery.
      35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
      Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
      Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
      Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
      Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

i don't know what a hook is
        15 1/2 Hours
        Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Comment

Backtalk,
          The "hook" that Sweetness is talking about attaches the rod to the spine
          SandyC

Comment

guess how dumb I feel, I have a back full of em. I didn't know they were called a hook. thanks
            15 1/2 Hours
            Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Comment

Just to add my experience to the pool! Staight after the first stage of my A/P surgery, I had terrible burning in my left side, so much so that i couldn't let them turn me that way - it was agony. Nobody mentioned hardware, but now I think it was. 18 months later, I still get this pain spasmodically, often when I sit in a chair that's too low or after a long car journey. Then it can hang about for days and really hurt when I'm driving and changing gear.
              Oh, and I'm another skinny one - 7st, so you can multiply that by 14 for whatever the number of pounds!

Comment

My wife and I bought a memory foam mattress a few weeks ago. This has been the biggest help for sleep aids that I have done.
                15 1/2 Hours
                Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Comment

Originally posted by BackTalk
                  guess how dumb I feel, I have a back full of em. I didn't know they were called a hook. thanks
                  Don't feel dumb, I don't know the exact word of all the hardware I have either, and whenever I ask any surgeon all kinds of different names come up.
                  35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                  Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                  Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                  Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                  Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Working...
                  X