Surgery in 2 weeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery in 2 weeks

Well i guess the day is coming so soon. My surgery is in about 2 weeks, Aug 14. I am getting really nervous even though this isnt my first time, 5th actually! The reason why i am so nervous is because i know what i am going to go through after and it sucks!
    I am trying to get things together for the hosptal stay that didnt have last time and i needed. I am going to pack a light easy outfit, brush, strips that go on finger to brush teeth, face clothes, baby wipes, slippers.
    Does anyone know of a waterless shampoo that is out on the market? That would be very helpful.
    I just cant believe it has come up so quickly. It really has caught me off guard!
    Sarah 25 yrs old- Married with three english bulldogs

1995-Surgery for scoliosis fused T3-L3.
    2000-Surgery for Rod breaking, relaced rod and took out upper rods.
    March 2005-Surgery for removal of all rods.
    August 2005-Fusion of T10-T11 due to crack in fusion, Rods put back in.
    August 2006- Surgery for fusion from L4 to sacrum.

Hi...

I've seen waterless shampoo at big drugstores (e.g. Walgreen's, Longs, etc.) You can also buy it online. Here's one:

http://www.hsn.com/cnt/prod/default....attr=&ocm=sekw

Can you remind me who your surgeon is?

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks...

His name is Dr.Robert Pashman at Cedars Sinai hospital in Beverly Hills.

Comment

shampoo

I used waterless shampoo on my daughter's hair while she was in the hospital and I hated it! Maybe you could buy one and try it once before you go in.

Comment

Unless you have to use some sort of special face cloth, I wouldn't take them. The hospital has lots of linens. The night before you are admitted wash your hair and don't put any hair spray/styling stuff in it. It will make it dirty faster. You might want to bring the following items:
          chap stick
          tooth brush/paste
          nail file
          hair brush/comb
          small bottle of mouth wash (sample size is perfect)
          small bottle of hand lotion
          If you have long hair, rubber bands/or clips to keep your hair out of the way

At UCSF, when I was allowed out of bed to sit in a chair, I would have the nurse place the chair in front of the sink/mirror. She then would give me warm moist wipes that the hospital supplied to bath with. Kind of a "PTA" bath. I could brush my teeth and hair. While I did that, she would change the linens on my bed. By the time all that was done, I really needed to sleep and lay down.
          SandyC

Comment

Slprncess,

I used the waterless shampoo for the first week-10 days after this last surgery, and it was ok. Then I washed my hair in the shower, after my nurse who came home to change my dressing put a waterproof tape on it, it felt SO good.

Much luck and well wishes for this surgery, you're strong and will get through it just fine, don't worry. Think of the positives about this surgery: you know what to expect and how to help yourself better, and you won't be fused in the thoracic part this time, so your ams an back won't pull as much when you do stuff. Last time went so much better for me, b/c they gave me an epidural cathetar and it numbed so much of the pain, wish I had that the first time! Hope you get that too.

Will be thinking of you, and keep us posted about how it went and how you're doing when you can
            35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
            Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
            Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
            Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
            Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Thanks sweetnes.

Your words of encourgement help alot. I am nervous but i do know that is normal and i think i am more nervous b/c i know what to expect. I will have to ask my surgeon ahead of time about the epidural catheter. I know i had one once before but when i was awake and it hurt so bad. That was done by the pain management dr. Hopefully they will do pain control and keep it under control. Nothing worst then being in pain!
              What i meant by the face clothes is those made by olay or any company that are really easy and you dont have to bend over to rinse your face with. I didnt have these last time and i think it will make me feel refresed. Also my aunt brought me some poupori to be right next to my bed and that gave me a very pleasant smell.
              I know i will be fine but just scared.

Thanks to everyone for your advise.

Comment

Originally posted by slprncess

I am nervous but i do know that is normal and i think i am more nervous b/c i know what to expect.
                That's what I told my doctor, right before being wheeled in. I didn't know if it was a good or bad thing. Remember that the first few days are rough, but it gets better quickly. I know it's hard to go through one of these surgeries, and for some of us to go through it again, it takes a lot of courage and you really are an inspiration at your young age It's not as bad as the first time, for sure. My epidural cathetar was placed before surgery, and it didn't hurt much. I bought the Oil of Olay face wipes last night too, b/c my sink is so low and it hurts still to bend down so much. I know you are scared and nothing we can say will change that or make you feel better, but hopefully you will be more calm the day of the surgery, happy to get it done.

Good luck an I send you cyberhugs
                35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Working...
                X