X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four weeks to go...

Hi all,

I'm Karen and I'm 22.
    I just thought I'd share with you all that I only have about 4 weeks to go until my surgery. I am so nrevous. I just don't know what to do with myself at the moment. I am having so much trouble concentrating at work! I will be having my surgery at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Middlesex, UK on the NHS. I think the worst part at this time is the wait. I know that my surgery will be before the end of august, but my surgeon went and broke his hand so they are fitting me in with another. I should hopefully get the date tomorrow.

I have got both a thoratic and a lumber curve as well as kyphosis and lumbar lordosis and and really want to get it over and done with now. As far as I know nothing will be done about my lordosis, but this might change. I hope it does because I have so much pain from it. I sometimes feel like I am going to snap in half. My surgeon wants to wait and see how this first surgery goes before attempting any others on me.

I will let you know how I get on and I have already aked the other half to make regular updates whilst I am unable to.

Love Karen x
    Anterior surgery 18th Jan 07
    Fused from T8 to T12 with 2 ribs removed
    Surgery was done by Mr Harrison and his team at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore, England
    Revision posterior surgery on 26th April 07 to remove protruding rib stumps
    No longer wearing a Stanmore custom hard backed brace
    Posterior surgery on 18th August 08 due to non fusion of first op and further kyphosis. Two rods from T2 to T12

Hi Karen,

There is no doubt in my mind that you are a nervous wreck!!! The anticipation of the surgery is bad enough, and you now have the added bourdon of not knowing your surgeon??? Is that your situation???

Please keep us informed, and never be afraid to express any concerns or fears here.

You are still very young, and if you don't feel comfortable being fitted in to another Dr.'s schedule, speak up!!!

Just wondering,
    Shari

Comment

Hi Shari

Thanks for replying.

I am ok with having another surgeon. As it is on the british NHS we don't get much of a choice over our surgeons anyway if any and I didn't really know the last one. I only saw him once and the other times I went I saw one of his assistant consultants. As long as it gets done, I'm happy. Just very nervous.

Thank you for your concern,

Karen x
      Anterior surgery 18th Jan 07
      Fused from T8 to T12 with 2 ribs removed
      Surgery was done by Mr Harrison and his team at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore, England
      Revision posterior surgery on 26th April 07 to remove protruding rib stumps
      No longer wearing a Stanmore custom hard backed brace
      Posterior surgery on 18th August 08 due to non fusion of first op and further kyphosis. Two rods from T2 to T12

Comment

Good luck Karen!

It is definitely nerve wracking, waiting for a big surgery like you are, but concentrate on the prize Like you, I was almost excited for my surgery toward the end... I was in so much pain and I just wanted it to be over! Best wishes!
        Jen
        24/NY
        Harrington rod placement & fusions
        11/2/94
        60T, 35L

Comment

Working...
        X