Question about TENS unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about TENS unit

I've been considering buying a TENS unit, but I don't know if it would be worth it. Does anyone here use one? What kind is a good one to get?

Thanks!
    Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
    2003- 33 degrees
    2005- 37 degrees
    2006- 44 degrees
    May 2007- 47 degrees
    December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
    Fused T1 to L2
    Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

TENs

Mine is from RS Medical and cost about $3000. My insurance paid for most of it.

Comment

Tens Unit

I cant use one because of the hardware in my back, but a good friend of mine has one and she reckons they are absolutely brilliant.

Although I guess everyone doesnt have exactly the same result.

Macky
      Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
      Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

TENS unit aka alpha stim

I cant use one because of the hardware in my back, but a good friend of mine has one and she reckons they are absolutely brilliant
        macky

You can indeed use a stim unit with hardware. Mine was prescribed by my pain doc post-op. It cost ~$600 bought through his office and paid by insurance.

The important thing is it must be used properly with proper instructions and guidance. For example I was told that one should not feel any of the electrical stimulation; that means it set too high. There is a handy booklet which comes with it.

My pain doc used it for pain, total body ache and depression. It was effective for all 3.

I still have the unit but I no longer have pain.
        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

I have a electric stimulation thing. I hardly ever use it though because I don't get a lot of back pain anymore. I got it from my physical therapist. Insurance paid for most of it, but I think my parents paid about $300. This is what I have: http://www.empi.com/products/nmes.cfm
          ~Leelee ♪
          [-] 17 years old
          _[-] 12th grade
          [-] scoliosis, 45T and 42 L
          _[-] kyphosis, 67*
          [-] Boston brace for 4 years
          _[-] Stopped 6/8/05 at 4:32 PM

Comment

I stillhave one and it was o-kay for back pain, not super great but it did help a bit to take the edge off sometimes.

I am currently using it on my stomach area because I can't do sit ups anymore...lol
            Yup, you read that right. I asked if using the unit could help retone some of the muscles that are currently not getting a whole lot of use anymore and got a yes answer so, I'm giving it a shot.
            I have it on the pulse mode so it's tightening and loosening the muscles.

I'll let you know if I get my flat abs back.
            36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
            Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
            Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
            Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
            Curve post op = 20 degrees
            No pain anymore!!
            Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. For some reason I thought these http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=br_ss_hs...9&Go.y=9&Go=Go would be the same as a tens unit you would order from your doctor, but apparently not. Do you think one of those would be worth getting?
              Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
              2003- 33 degrees
              2005- 37 degrees
              2006- 44 degrees
              May 2007- 47 degrees

Surgery May 27, 2008
              Fused T1 to L2

Comment

I tried to buy one of these things off Ebay, but they stopped the transaction. I guess the scumdogs want you to have a prescription. Don't understand why. What am I gonna do, electricute myself?

Comment

I saw one on ebay too. The next time I went to bid on it, it was gone. I was upset.
                  Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
                  2003- 33 degrees
                  2005- 37 degrees
                  2006- 44 degrees
                  May 2007- 47 degrees

Surgery May 27, 2008
                  Fused T1 to L2

Comment

Tens Unit

I have an extra tens unit...

Comment

Seriously?!?!

email me- briarrose24@juno.com
                      Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
                      2003- 33 degrees
                      2005- 37 degrees
                      2006- 44 degrees
                      May 2007- 47 degrees

Surgery May 27, 2008
                      Fused T1 to L2

Comment

i have a TENs unit, and it helps a little to take the edge off like someone else said above, but you can't wear it all the time. I got mine from an anestesiologist (sp?) that i was seeing for pain, and i think that my insurance paid for it.

-abbie
                        aBbiE
                        22 yr old F,KU college student
                        Kyphoscoliosis...
                        Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
                        Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
                        I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
                        Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
                        all smiles!

Comment

TENS for muscle strength/ inversion tables

I asked my doc about TENS unit. I thought maybe it could a help the muscles on one side pull the spine into better alignment. I was told no, it's only for pain reduction. But, surely if it is stimulating muscles to contract it must be "strengthening" somehow?

I was thinking whether to ask/argue for one of these things.

I also have an inversion table - has anyone found these helpful?
                          60 plus lumbar, 45 thoracic
                          first time surgery maybe in Dec 2006
                          40 years old, single professional mommy

Comment

TENS unit aka "alpha stim" / inversion table?

But, surely if it is stimulating muscles to contract it must be "strengthening" somehow? (mebo)
                            The TENS unit does not stimulate muscles; it is a low grade current which works gently on the nerves when placed correctly for pain relief.
                            I have used it post-op under the direction of my pain management doc.

When properly placed one should not feel the current.

There was experimentation with stronger nerve stimulation to try to influence scoliosis but it had no effect and was abandoned.

There are other posts discussing inversion tables. They will not correct scoliosis. You can do a search and contact persons who have tried it--and save yourself a lot of money.
                            Last edited by Karen Ocker; 08-05-2006, 03:41 PM.
                            Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                            Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

I was joking. Sorry, I sometimes forget people always don't pick up on my humor.
                              36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
                              Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
                              Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
                              Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
                              Curve post op = 20 degrees
                              No pain anymore!!
                              Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

Working...
                              X