• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dr La Grone

Thanks Marilyn,

I'd like to keep in touch...

Infact, anyone else considering La Grone - Please feel free to email me:

askforKen@aol.com

Perhaps we can pull our resources.......

take care, Ken.

Comment

wolfsoul

I just found this site thru Consulting Physicians at the Baylor Scoliosis Center.Check out their site they may be helpful.Good luck! I'm 60 and investigating revision surgery post harrington rod fusion T3/4 to L3.Suemc

Comment

In texas....

I had my surgeries done at Baylor Scoliosis Center at Plano, TX and the hospital was like a luxury hotel ! I feel as though my care from the beginning to end was top-notch and would highly recommend them- There have been some other members that had Dr. Lagrone and were very happy with him- Check out on the surgical revision forum the threads that Theresa wrote about him- she posted her recently, and you can read all her posts if you click on her name. I have family that lives 45 miles from Amarillo, should any of you that go there and have problems or questions. I know how scary it is to be very far from home and not have anybody to turn to !!! Good Luck in your decisions- Lisa
        Lisa age 47
        T curve 69 degrees
        L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
        fused to from T-3 to sacrum
        anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
        pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Baylor Scoliosis Center In Plano

I have been a patient of Dr. Shelokov's since Sept 2001 and think he is a wonderful, knowledgeable and topnotch surgeon. His website is www.consultingorthopedists.com. His PA, Eric, is very caring and committed to helping each patient achieve maximum healing. They are half the equation to a successful recovery and me and my body are the other half.

Even though I have had my challenges, he and his team have pulled me through to where I am now. My most recent challenge was being rear-ended in March 07. I was feeling really good until that setback. Now whenever I am sitting in my car for over 25 minutes, I develop pain down the front of my right leg. As soon as I get out and stand for a minute it goes away. The only other pain I have is associated with the bone grafts from my hip bones. And there is that general weather related discomfort.......

Everybody's scenario is just a wee bit different. I had some osteopenia and DDD going into the initial surgery in 2002. And then I fell a week after I got home from the hospital - klutz that I have become . I have fallen at least 4 other times since then too. Big klutz. Once time a dog knocked me down! But each time I go down, I get back up and keep on moving.

I have had posterior and anterior surgery and am now fused to my sacrum (12/05). My biggest problem is the weight I now carry around my gut. Since I no longer have any muscle control in my belly, it has become obnoxious to me. (I didn't have the best physical therapy treatment after my insurance changed in 2006 and I could no longer go to PT's recommended by my surgeon - bummer!)

I am fused from T1 to S1. Am curious if there is anyone here who is having or have had similiar experience, and what kind of exercises you might recommend to regain muscle control in that area? For obvious reasons, crunches are out. I walk 2-4 miles daily.

Just curious if you folks in the Houston area got together for those drinks? And does anyone here in the Dallas/Plano area want to do same? Especially any of Dr. Shelokov's patients interested in getting together to share experiences and learnings?

Thanks all and good luck to everyone out there considering revision surgery.
          Christy
          Plano, TX
          Surgical dates
          3/25/02 - fused T1-L3, T - 88 degrees
          L - 74 degrees
          7/8/04 - repaired 6 areas of non-union & fused L3-L4
          12/15/05 - fused L4-L5, L5-S1
          2/27/06 - corrected hardware failure
          3/5/06 - corrected hardware issue
          6/16/06 - replaced broken screw in pelvis
          3/9/07 - rear ended auto collision
          2/12/09 - totaled car - someone pulled out in front of me - Yikes!
          3/30/09 - Revision surgery, removed & replaced t12through S1

Comment

Christy,

What I was given to do was core exercises done with a ball. You should really try to get at least one appointment with a PT to show you how to do the exercises correctly so you don't hurt yourself. Some of the exercises seemed so easy to do but when your muscles are shot they are extremely hard to perform correctly! One is where you just sit on the ball and roll it back and forth while sitting on it. Of course you have to keep control of it! They will be able to give you little pointers and tricks to help until your muscles start getting stronger.

Also, has your doctor said anything about your sagittal balance being off? Before this last surgery I was constantly tripping and catching the toe of my shoe on the floor. Since I have had this last surgery with Dr. LaGrone he has my sagittal balance fixed. He increased my lordosis curve in the lumbar area and put in pelvic instrumentation to also help. I also had mild hip flexion contractures which have also been corrected.
            Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
            Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
            Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
            Fused T2 to sacrum
            June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
            MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Christy-

Hello! as you can see from the previous post on this thread, I am also a patient of Baylor Scoliosis Center. I am surprised at the number of revision surgeries you have had! May I ask why you might have had so many problems with loose screws? Would you do anything differently? Wish i was closer to Plano, I'd love to get together and share "war stories"! Lisa
              Lisa age 47
              T curve 69 degrees

Comment

Would I do things differently and PT?

Hi Lisa and Theresa,

First my apologies for taking so long in responding - it's been my busy time at work. And wow, you just had surgery June 1 this year! I hope your recovery is on course and you are doing what the doctors tell you.

As for all my revisions - my first surgery was in 2002 and if I knew then what I know now, yes - I would have done things a lot differently - but I didn't know what I was getting into. I had denied surgical interference since the discovery of my scoliosis in 1970. And but for a slip in the shower in June of 2000 - I might still be denying it - who knows.

I was introduced to Dr. Shelokov in September 2001 - just a few days before 9/11. He was direct and upfront with me about my back. I told him in that first meeting that I was not here for scoliosis surgery - I just wanted the new pain I had from the shower fall to go away. (It was a workers comp claim and he was seeing me as a favor to the workers comp doc I was sent to because nobody was able to help me up til then. He does not see workers comp cases) I was adamant about no surgical intervention initially.

Following my first appointment with him, I had several rounds of pain management injections, I was attending a well respected health club focusing on pilates, yoga, inner body workouts, etc and I even attended a yoga convention in Estes Park with X-rays in hand meeting with Elise Browning Miller. I went through a lot of self examination, and finally surrendered my back to him and he has since done a lot of work. The pain was getting worse and I knew I had to do something dramatic in order to change the direction I was heading. I trusted him to take care of me. (And still do.)

Dr. Shelokov fused 16 discs that first surgery, leaving L4-S1 untouched. I think he was hoping those disks would last longer until new procedures (artificial disks) were developed because I was a potential candidate. But that was not to be. You probably recognize now that being fused to the sacrum is life changing.

Dr. S didn't have any control over my falling 1 week after I got home from the hospital. So yes, would I have done things differently? I would have gone ahead and had him fuse me all the way to the sacrum in the first surgery and maybe I could have avoided the next 6 surgeries. - but I didn't know what my back was like and I certainly wasn't in any position to lecture him on his business.

I am a lot more experienced about this whole scoliosis surgery life than before my first surgery. It's a very long journey and I am happy to share more, should there be any interest. So if you are interested in reading about my experience send me your email address and I will share more about my hardware failures, etc with you. I believe we achieved great correction.

Theresa, I have had PT after each surgery. And I was going to a wonderful therapist Dr. Shelokov and his team referred after my first two surgeries. But then my insurance changed and I could no longer go to my PT of choice. I can tell you that a knowledgeable, caring PT is important to one's recovery. And I am not the best PT patient, because I don't do the exercises at home. My fault - my recovery. Shame on me. I am my own worst enemy!

Lisa - good luck to you in your recovery. I truly believe Dr. Shelokov is one of the best surgeons and has always had my best interests in mind. Believe me, he and I have had conversations - lots of them. But it was my body he had to work with and all it's imperfections - ddd, osteopenia, arthritis, my lifestyle, my insurance company, etc. Again, best of luck to you Lisa - and to anyone else out there reading this considering surgery.

Christy in Plano
                Christy
                Plano, TX
                Surgical dates
                L - 74 degrees

Comment

Christy -
                  I just noticed your comment about the weight you carry around your gut - boy, can I relate! Same problem, and getting worse since my surgery in May. Have you heard of "Pilates for Fragile Backs?" It's written by two women who have had fusions to the sacrum, one of whom is a Pilates instructor. The book has a foreword by Dr. Boachie, so that gives it quite a stamp of approval. What they have done is modify traditional Pilates exercises to accommodate fused spines. As you may know, Pilates was originally developed for physical rehabilitation and is aimed specifically at the core muscles.

I also discovered that one physical rehabilitation service here in Michigan uses Pilates for PT, so a prescription from the doctor would get it covered by insurance. Pilates classes are pretty expensive otherwise. I met with one of the therapists and showed her the book, and she is willing to work with me.

Unfortunately, it will be a while before I can start PT and I have never done Pilates, but I intend to look into it as soon as my doc says it's okay.

Just a suggestion ...
                  trulyaries
                  FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
                  10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
                  8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
                  5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
                  2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
                  3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

thank you christy !

Wow, now I am really glad they fused me to s-1 to start with. Looking back, it was Dr. Shelokov that recommended fusion to s-1 to start with, as he walked in on my surgical consultation with Dr. Hostin, and looked at my x-rays. Bless your heart, I might have gained from your experiences, in a round about way ! They were talking about having better results with the patients fused from the start. You really had an ordeal with your spine ! How lucky you were not to have to travel to your surgeon. Did you have any of your surgeries in the new Baylor Hospital? I'd love to hear from you on my email, which is lisadhatch@yahoo.com. thanks again for writing ! Lisa
                    Lisa age 47
                    T curve 69 degrees

Comment

• Pilates for Fragile Backs

Originally posted by trulyaries
                      Christy -
                      Have you heard of "Pilates for Fragile Backs?" It's written by two women who have had fusions to the sacrum, one of whom is a Pilates instructor. The book has a foreword by Dr. Boachie, so that gives it quite a stamp of approval. What they have done is modify traditional Pilates exercises to accommodate fused spines. As you may know, Pilates was originally developed for physical rehabilitation and is aimed specifically at the core muscles.
                      Trulyaries - really appreciate the suggestion on the book. I ooked it up online and may invest in a copy. Now that I am beginning to feel a little better I hope to begin some type of regular exercise. I wish they had a DVD out demonstrating the revised exercises. I know my "core" is shot. But it always has been bad too. It's been since 2002 that I did any pilates and yoga and sure would like to do some again. And if it helps with the pain and the obnoxious stomach I will be very happy.

It's time to walk the dog. Thanks again for the recommendation. I will keep you posted on the results.

Christy
                      Christy
                      Plano, TX
                      Surgical dates
                      L - 74 degrees

Comment

• Curious?

Originally posted by crepehanger
                        Looking back, it was Dr. Shelokov that recommended fusion to s-1 to start with, as he walked in on my surgical consultation with Dr. Hostin, and looked at my x-rays.
                        Lisa - did Hoskin do your surgery or just your examinations?

And yes, my last 4 procedures were at the new Baylor facility in Plano. The first 3 surgeries were done down the street a mile or so at Plano Medical Center. Definitely a much nicer hospital. Shelokov definitely wants the best post op care for his patients.

Christy
                        Christy
                        Plano, TX
                        Surgical dates
                        L - 74 degrees

Comment

• Christy:
                          In the "Pilates for Fragile Backs" there's two cautions: they advise that you work with a Pilates instructor first to make sure that you are doing the exercises correctly, then you can continue on your own with the exercises that don't require equipment (most of them). The second is they recommend you don't start them until at least a year after your surgery to make sure that your fusion is solid. They are likely being extra careful, but I would take the book to your doc and get his ok first. I spent about 6 months last year with a personal trainer for strength training, only to find out that my L4-L5 fusion didn't fuse. Lots of money down the drain ...
                          FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
                          10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
                          8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
                          5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
                          2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
                          3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

• Christy-

Dr. Hostin did my surgeries- Dr. Shelokov came in and introduced himself, i felt like they work as a team with all of the patients. I was told on the first visit that all of the doctors and staff take care of the patients. I liked that. After all of your surgeries, I am glad you're thru with the operating table! Lisa
                            Lisa age 47
                            T curve 69 degrees

Comment

• Christy & CS Baby & Wolf, etc.

It's been so interesting to read this particular thread as I am facing Surgery #4 in September. I live here in the Dallas area and work at the edge of Plano. I had the first 3 surgeries done by Shelokov and had the pleasure of meeting Corbin, Jeff & Eric (I think Eric is the most caring). I believe Jeff is actually a nurse but he probably knows as much as any ortho doctor as he is Shelokov's right hand man, literally. My first two were at Plano Medical Center, I had a 7 week rehab at the *something* Manor Nursing Home across the street from the hospital after Surg #2 (horrible 7 wks!). Lovely way to spend Christmas , flat on my back per doc's orders. NOT! The 3rd surg was at the then new Baylor Plano and I loved it. What a treat it was to pick up the phone and order my meal and have it arrive hot in about 45 mins, when I wanted it, not when the trays arrived. I hope those of you who are going to see Dr. Shelokov do not use United Healthcare. A little over 1-1/2 yrs ago, I got a letter saying he would no longer accept UMC. kaboom, that stopped that.

I don't dislike Dr. Shelokov, he's a charming man. I do resent the deal about the insurance. Perhaps my recurring problems are related to my age. dunno

Following the first operation, during recuperation, a screw came loose in left pelvic illiac crest, coincidentally right over the site of the bone harvest. I had to practically knock him in the head to get his attention to pay attention to me that something was wrong. (Dr. S tends to breeze in and breeze out.) During the previous 3 months, Corbin kept saying I could walk correctly if I wanted to, that "they didn't operate on my legs". To his credit or not, Shelokov opened me up from top (T1) to the very bottom (S-3 I guess) to make sure nothing else was wrong and put in bolts in each pelvis to correct the loose screw and prevent that particular thing from happening again. That's when the nursing home recuperation happened; but I survived. But then a year later, I kept having pain in my upper back, and complained and brought it up at each visit with the PA. The PA said it was just my bursitis acting up (I did have a lot of problems with bursistis in the area between my shoulder blade and the incision and had to have injections... also I had bursitis in my right hip which had to have injections). I guess finally they got tired of me complaining and sent me to the hospital for specialized tests and found out I did not fuse throughout the thorasic. So operation #3 (at the new hospital).

After receiving the letter from Shelokov, I made contact with Dr. Robert Viere, whose practice is North Texas Spine Care. He works mainly out of downtown Baylor but they have a satellite office at Park & Central. Shelokov gave him high marks.

Now here we go, 2-1/2 years later, and I've found out from Dr. Viere, that both of my rods are broken. I saw the Xrays - they are!

I turn 65 in about a week and other than all of the back stuff, have been extremely healthy. I did, however, get a 2.5 score on my recent bone scan, so they've put me in the osteopenia category.

Dr. Viere is at: http://www.ntspinecare.com/whats_new.htm
                              I'm very encouraged that he has received awards as one of the best doctors in America since 1994.
                              Diane in Dallas
                              Adult Ideopatic Scoliosis (37%) and Kyphosis (65%)
                              Surgery #1 8/4/03 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
                              Surg #2 12/8/03 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
                              Surg #3 1/10/05 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
                              Surg #4 9/10/07 - Dr. Viere, Dallas
                              Surg #5 1/28/08 - Dr. Viere, Dallas
                              Surg #6 4/27/09 - Dr. Viere, Dallas

Comment

• Just one question, Diane. If you had to do it all over again, would you?

Chris

Comment

Working...
                                X