No announcement yet.

Anybody in Texas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the place downtown too. I have heard of it and have heard it is a nice little place. Well, it looks like we even have more Houston folks, so that is really good. I can't wait to meet everyone

Comment

Hi all! Nope, I am not a teacher so it I must have just sounded like someone else. I live in the Heights area of Houston so I am right by downtown so downtown seems to work for most. I used to live out in Sugarland and then Missiouri City. Seems we all have quite a bit in common.
      Background - Diagnosed in 1981 with a s-curve. Very progressive. Wore a Milwalkee brace from 1981-1986. I had back surgery in 1989....spinal fusion with Harrington rods and bone from my hip.

Comment

We need to get a little vote together from everybody as to when is the best day. Next week is totally out for me, but the next week is great. I would say this week is good, but I am not sure if we will get everyone's responses in time to get something together.

Comment

To LuckyLuke

Since you suggested the place. . . Why don't you send a PM to all those who commented in this thread. Pick 3 or 4 times that will work for you. From the responses, you can see which time will get the best turnout. You probably won't get everyone to go downtown, but its important to keep everyone in the loop that wants to be. No pun intended.

Comment

Hey Everyone,

I would not be able to attend on Friday, Aug. 4th. or that weekend. My son will be having surgery for severe sleep apnea. I think a Saturday or Sunday afternoon would also be good. I would probably bring my husband because I'm not comfortable driving downtown if that is okay with everyone.
            Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
            Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
            Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
            Fused T2 to sacrum
            June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
            MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

dr. recommendation

it sounds like you've found a surgeon to consult about your condition, but maybe someone would be interested in a surgeon in dallas....dr. robert viere at north texas spine/baylor is my surgeon, and i highly recommend him....
              Sue

Milwaukee Brace from ages 8 - 16
              T36 degrees/L56 degrees Pre-Op
              Fused T3 - S1
              Surgery done Sept. 15, 2004
              Dr. Robert G. Viere
              North Texas Spine Care @ Baylor

Comment

Houston Get Together

Hello everyone,

I apologize for not responding sooner. I started working 70 hrs/wk. I've been checking this site but haven't had time to respond.

What does September 3rd look like for everyone? I'm thinking the afternoon would be good. But open to other times as well.

Please let me know. Either post here or my email at work is:
                steve.luker@mustangeng.com (yes, my real name is Steve, they call me Lucky Luke)
                Home: steve.luker@sbcglobal.net

I hope we can all get together, that is if my legs don't fall asleep on the way there... Lol

Comment

Hey Steve,

That sounds good to me! Looking forward to meeting everyone!
                  Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
                  Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
                  Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
                  Fused T2 to sacrum
                  June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
                  MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Sept 3rd=Labor Day Weekend

Hi Guys, I am looking forward to trying to meet everyone; however, Sept 3rd is falling over Labor Day weekend and I will be out of town. If that day works for everyone else then go ahead and don't change it on my account.

If Labor Day is a bad weekend due to travel plans, etc. Why don't we try one evening the following week? Say, September 7th around 6 or 6:30?
                    Background - Diagnosed in 1981 with a s-curve. Very progressive. Wore a Milwalkee brace from 1981-1986. I had back surgery in 1989....spinal fusion with Harrington rods and bone from my hip.

Comment

Wish I was there.

I tried sending a message the first day I saw this on the bulletins but I guess it didn't go through. I'm not in Texas, but I was about 10 years ago and my parents still live in Friendswood, TX. (near Houston) I noticed some of you had your Harrington Rod surgery with Dr. Jesse Dickson. I did as well back in 1984 (age 16) . Using bone from my hip they did the fusion for my C curve which was congentital scoliosis. (I had had numerious casts & braces which had started when I was about five.) I still have the rod in and am wondering if some of the situations that are being experienced by previous patients are things I should be looking out for.

I sure do hope all of you can get together. I think it is great that this forum can allow us to share our various experiences and give support. At least we all understand some of each others issues when discussing because of our own experiences. Maybe I'll be able to meet some of the folks here in Richmond, VA.!

Comment

Originally posted by Jer
                        I tried sending a message the first day I saw this on the bulletins but I guess it didn't go through. I'm not in Texas, but I was about 10 years ago and my parents still live in Friendswood, TX. (near Houston) I noticed some of you had your Harrington Rod surgery with Dr. Jesse Dickson. I did as well back in 1984 (age 16) . Using bone from my hip they did the fusion for my C curve which was congentital scoliosis. (I had had numerious casts & braces which had started when I was about five.) I still have the rod in and am wondering if some of the situations that are being experienced by previous patients are things I should be looking out for.

I sure do hope all of you can get together. I think it is great that this forum can allow us to share our various experiences and give support. At least we all understand some of each others issues when discussing because of our own experiences. Maybe I'll be able to meet some of the folks here in Richmond, VA.!
                        Hi Jer, I also had my surgery done by Dr. Jesse Dickson. Mine was in 1989 at the age of 18. Same procedure... used bone from my hip they did the fusion using a harrington rod. Now at 35 I am having severe back pain and hip pain. I have an appt with the guy that took over DIckson's practice. My appt is the 15th of August..........I am counting the days

Comment

Hi Jer, I also had my surgery done by Dr. Jesse Dickson. Mine was in 1989 at the age of 18. Same procedure... used bone from my hip they did the fusion using a harrington rod. Now at 35 I am having severe back pain and hip pain. I have an appt with the guy that took over Dickson's practice. My appt is the 15th of August..........I am counting the days

Yes, I had seen that from your other post. Do let us know how your appointment with the other Dr. goes. I'm curious to see what his evaluation of your situation shall be.

I recently started back jogging again and have discovered that I'm having strange pains in my left thigh muscles. My lower back has from time to time had irritation due to overexertion, but for the most part pain free. I'm just wonder now that it has been nearly 22 years since the surgery if I need to go ahead and have an overall checkup to insure things are still intact and
                          address any "major" issues before the age factor kicks in to surgery possibilities. From what all I've read hear on the boards pulling the rod out isn't really the best option unless of course it is the direct cause of the pain.
                          I had a roommate that was 42 when she had her first spinal fusion and I certainly don't want to have to deal with something so drastic as surgery at that late age if at all possible. (I know her surgery was far worst that mine because she also had an S curvature of the spine.)

Everybody's situation is somewhat different yet incredibly similar. I have been wondering if some of the pressure below the fusion is also to related to muscle mass which help suspend our vertebrae. Because as we grow older we tend to become less active and thus the muscle support those lower discs in addition to weight of the rod attached may be contributors to the weakening of the discs? I really don't know but it is interesting to hear that various doctors have various answers on the subject. One thing for sure it is definitely not cool that several of the people on this forum have had to have 2-4 surgeries for corrects or further stability of the spine. Scary, very scary.

I do hope you are able to get the results you need from the visit. I'm praying for you.
                          Last edited by Jer; 08-02-2006, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Get Together

Hello all,

Wish you were closer Jer.

Let's try to meet on Sunday afternoon around 2:00, Sept. 17th at Sam's Boat on Richmond. Good seafood and cold drinks!!

I know this is a far away date, but with everyone’s different schedules, we have to pick one and go with it. I just hope it works for everyone.

Our table will have a white balloon attached. Hopefully we can find a table; otherwise we will be the ones carrying a white balloon around. Ha!

I've attached the website for Sams, which contains directions.

See you there...

Steve and Angie

(Herrington Rod in 1979 - Fusion with bone from hip - Dr. Wendell Erwin - Methodist Hospital)

Comment

Get together, forgot to include website, sorry

www.samsboat.com/richmond

Comment

Another place to consider in Texas

Have you researched the Baylor Scoliosis Center in Plano, Texas?

Comment

Working...
                                X