No announcement yet.

Anybody in Texas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MGM = How did you make a decision between the doc in Plano vs. the one in Amarillo?
    Background - Diagnosed in 1981 with a s-curve. Very progressive. Wore a Milwalkee brace from 1981-1986. I had back surgery in 1989....spinal fusion with Harrington rods and bone from my hip.

Comment

I didn't know about the Plano doc. What is his name? Is he supposed to be a good doc as well?

Comment

MGM,

There is alot of talk about this doc, Dr. Alexis P. Shelokov, on this website as well. I kept being told about the one in Amarillo and the one in Plano which is Dr. Shelokov. He is a little closer to home at least. Here is his website

http://www.consultingorthopedists.com/shelokov/
        Background - Diagnosed in 1981 with a s-curve. Very progressive. Wore a Milwalkee brace from 1981-1986. I had back surgery in 1989....spinal fusion with Harrington rods and bone from my hip.

Comment

Originally posted by mocity
          Wow! Me too. I feel like I am complaining all the time. It is soo frustrating to have worn the back brace, had the surgery and STILL have back problems. I hope we both can find some answers very soon. I am glad to know I am not alone and we can talk about what we find out!
          My thoughts exactly girl...I'm 35 as well btw hehe.

It's three months that I have been calling the pain clinic to get my appointment. Received panflets saying it could be a year LOL. Then the girl tells me in May to call early July and I did, but then she says the person in charge of new patients is on vacation until August. LMAO. Whatever, I guess. That's what happens here when the healthcare system is free. I could go to another pain clinic but that one is affiliated with my surgeon.

Anyhow, good luck to all, and here's hoping we get to feel closer to what our ages are again
          Last edited by sweetness514; 07-19-2006, 02:06 PM.
          35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
          Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
          Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
          Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
          Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Originally posted by mocity
            MGM,

There is alot of talk about this doc, Dr. Alexis P. Shelokov, on this website as well. I kept being told about the one in Amarillo and the one in Plano which is Dr. Shelokov. He is a little closer to home at least. Here is his website

http://www.consultingorthopedists.com/shelokov/
            Well, I looked at Shelokov's website and I now have an appointment for August 22nd, which is sooner than Dr. LaGrone. but I am going to go to both docs so that I will have the opinion of both and not have to wonder whether I need a second opinion. I called as soon as I read his website because it seems like he will be a really good doc. I am getting desperate

Comment

MGM,

If you do a search on this website you can read about him. Several people have gone to him and have had surgery performed by him. I will be curious to see what you think. Plano is at least closer than Amarillo.

I sit at a desk all day and the later in the day the more the pain increases from sitting. Arg!

Comment

Just have to throw my Houston docs in there

MGM & Mocity:

I was seeing Dr. Henry Blum starting in 2000. I found him because several years ago when I was looking for someone new. It was shortly after I had my first baby and I had an increase in pain. He mostly does injury case, not scoliosis, but I think he accurately diagnosed my problem and helped me by removing my rod. He removed my rod, because I was having extreme pain. He also repaired my lowest level fusion. He recommended extending my fusion.

I wanted another opinion and saw Dr. Esses in 2002. He said that he would extend my fusion, not one level, but 3. No sense in taking each one at a time when the unfused vertebrae are doomed for failure. He also said that I have flatback, but I don't think it is, because I don't have cervical kyphosis.
                He sent me to pain management, which I liked until it got too expensive and treatments got progressively less effective.

Next, I saw Dr. Richard Guyer, in Plano TX (Texas Back Institute). He only does artificial discs, but I wanted to see if the technology might be appropriate for a fused spine and if not how long before technology will be available. Dr. Guyer said that I would break any artificial disc and that there is little hope for a stronger one any time soon. No clinical trials either.

Then, I saw Dr. Hanson. His practice is really busy. I think it is because there are few surgeons in Houston who treat adult scoliosis patients. He did his Medical school and Residency here in Houston, he also did a spine surgery fellowship at St. Louis under Dr. Bridwell. From what I understand, these fellowships are very competitive and most doctors don't even do a fellowship in a specialty. Dr. Bridwell is well liked by his patients, so I felt that Dr. Hanson should be qualified. It takes 2 months to get an appointment and close to 4 months to get on his surgery schedule. I called and left a message for him and his PA called me back. That was kind of annoying. He just read the chart notes to me and couldn't explain well beyond that. I am scheduled for Sept, but I may cancel. Not that my pain isn't bad, but I just changed jobs and I don't feel right about taking an extended leave so soon after starting. I may not have a job by the time I recover.

All 4 of these guys told me the same thing. That I need my fusion extended. I have never had a doctor say that they won't do anything or that my pain is in my head. A long time ago, I saw Dr. Michael Kaldis. He mostly does first time scoliosis surgury or injury cases. My pain was only minor at that time, so we did nothing. It didn't bother me.

And I am older than all y'all--36 but I feel 80 somedays too.

Comment

PNUTTRO,

Thanks so much for the information. I feel the same way about Hanson. I had an appt with him a while back and didn't get much out of it. His office was so busy (I waited over 4 months for that appt). Now, my next appt is August 15th and I am going in with a list of questions and don't want to leave until there is a plan of action even if that includes surgery. I am in pain. I am not much younger than you.... 35. Last time I was there he did say that all my spine is fused except for the very bottom. This is where my pain is coming from. It is like the fusion is putting pressure on the part that isn't fused???? Shooting pain in my lower back and tailbone and then into my hips causing numbness in my right hip and foot.

So, what happens if the rest of my spine is fused?

What a mess.

THanks sooo much for responding.

Comment

fusion repair.

Will Hanson just do the repair for now? Can it be done posteriorly? My recovery time for the rod out and fusion repair wasn't very long as I recall. 3 days in the hospital and about 3-4 weeks at home.
                    Save the fusion extension for a few more years down the road?
                    The fusion extension is two stages. Hanson has me scheduled for both on the same day.

Comment

I am not sure at this point. Good questions though. I am going to write them down for my Aug 15th appt. While I have him there I want to make sure I ask everything I can think of!

Comment

Originally posted by PNUTTRO
                        Dr. Guyer said that I would break any artificial disc and that there is little hope for a stronger one any time soon. No clinical trials either.
                        The Kineflex Lumbar disc is all metal, and is in trials.

http://www.spinal-motion.com/kineflex_lumbar_disc.htm

Like other artificial disc trials, having scoliosis or a previous spinal fusion disqualify us from this trial. However, Serena Hu at UCSF (participating in the trial) told me that this MIGHT be appropriate for using above or below a long fusion.

--Linda
                        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Was there a noticeable difference in the pain once the rods were removed? My fusion is not too long. It is only from T5 to T11, which at the time I was told that would be a good thing because it would allow me more mobility. The only problem is that everything above and below the fusion is a nightmare. I had an MRI on my cervical spine and the disks are basically totally worn. There is absolutely no disk space, and there are bulging into the canal. The pain is all on the right side, which is the shoulder that is the highest. The lower part under the fusion is where I am noticing the most progression and the pain on that area is on the left where my hip is sticking out and higher. Do you think it may be worth a try to remove the rods first to see how that goes?

Comment

Hi MGM...

I think that all of the people who have said that having their rods removed resolved their pain are those who said that they were hyper aware of their implants, right from the start. Disc problems above and below the fusion won't be helped by removing implants.

--Linda
                            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Luck

Linda is right. Removing a rod doesn't solve anything if it isn't the problem.

The rod removal resolved a specific pain that I was having. It only resolved the acute shocking pain, not the chronic pain and I knew that going in.

Linda, thanks for the implant info. . . Forgive me for not being optimistic at this point.

Comment

Scoliosis Associates

Hello MGM Grand,

I too believe Dr. Wendell Erwin was one of the best. I would love to tell him "Thank you, and bless you for giving me a normal life".

I'm interested to know how your appt. with Dr. LaGrone goes. I've always wanted to visit Amarillo. lol..

I just recently started having problems after 27 years. I haven't even been to a Dr., but from reading this forum, I suspect bone degeneration.

I'm getting tingling "legs asleep" after walking a while.

I would also like to hear of any doctor's here in Houston.

Harrington Rod 1979 at age 13
                                Dr. Erwin (surgeon) Dr. Harrington (present in o.r.)

Comment

Working...
                                X