No announcement yet.

Anybody in Texas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like we REALLY needs some more docs here in Houston! Erwin and Dickson officed togehter and they are bother retired.

SO, sorry for the the questions but I want to make sure I understand when I got in to talk to him. Usually if they extend the fusion or FIX the fusion.. they also take the rods out at the same time? My guess is that mine needs to be extended. My whole spine is fused except the last 3 vertebrae.

I am so glad I have found you guys and can get this help!
    Background - Diagnosed in 1981 with a s-curve. Very progressive. Wore a Milwalkee brace from 1981-1986. I had back surgery in 1989....spinal fusion with Harrington rods and bone from my hip.

Comment

Sorry, I misinterpretted what you wrote

Sorry.
      I was thinking that your current fusion was unstable. But now, I see that you said that you have degeneration below your fusion. He probably won't remove anything, just add to what you already have. He will let you know how many more vertebrae that you should have fused.

Drs. Hanson and Esses are both recommended by the National Scoliosis Foundation.

Comment

Originally posted by mocity
        Usually if they extend the fusion or FIX the fusion.. they also take the rods out at the same time? My guess is that mine needs to be extended. My whole spine is fused except the last 3 vertebrae.

I am so glad I have found you guys and can get this help!
        I don't think anyone, including possibly the surgeon, can tell you for sure. There are a lot of variables (most of which, I'm sure, I don't know). Sometimes the implants are so deeply embedded in bone that they can't fully be removed. If you need any changes within the fusion mass, the implants will likely be removed. Some of the old implant systems can't be linked to newer implant systems, so they may have to be removed for that reason.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Lucky Luke,

I agree about Dr. Erwin. My mother still sings his praises because he was always so compassionate and she believes that he did an amazing job with me. But of course, none of us thought that our Scoliosis would come back to haunt us. Like you my problems did not come back until more recently almost 20 years later. I will let you know about Dr. La Grone and also Dr. Shelekov, who I see first. I have never let my Scoliosis get in the way of anything but lately it is starting to take over all at once. At this point, I am looking for someone to tell me what the heck is happening inside there. I am just desperate to stop the pain part since I feel like I am starting to obsess about it, which I really don't want to start doing. Have any of you Houston folks on this forum heard of any support groups. I have seen that others have groups in other cities. This forum has been great and I have learned so much already. Do any of you have nerve damage that affects the legs? That is my latest. I have seen a neurologist who has conducted all of the nerve tests and found major weakness in the left leg, but my right leg is fine. Weird huh?

Comment

MGM - I am still shocked at how much we seem to be alike. When Dr. Dickson did my surgery my mom researched to find one of the best scoliosis surgeons and we ended up in his office. His bedside manner could have used some work but hey, my surgery went well and I was pain free from 1989-2004. This past month the pain is more than it has ever been. Me, like you, have never let my scoliosis get in the way of anything I wanted to do. (hehe, it sure was good for getting out of PE though). I exercise, etc. until the past month. I NEVER thought that later in life I would have back pain and issues again. At the time they acted like that surgery was the end all be all. I can't wait to see what your two docs say and what Dr. Hanson tells me. I am tempted to go ahead and make an appt with the doc in Plano as well.

I would love to hear about some support groups here in Houston. If there aren't maybe those of us we have met on here can get together for a cocktail and cry about our Scoliosis. HA!
            Background - Diagnosed in 1981 with a s-curve. Very progressive. Wore a Milwalkee brace from 1981-1986. I had back surgery in 1989....spinal fusion with Harrington rods and bone from my hip.

Comment

MOCity,

I am all for the Houston folks getting together for a cocktail! Hey and just think, at least none of us will have any trouble recognizing each other in a crowd ! Although I try to walk as straight as I can and like to think that no one could ever tell

I hope we all get some quick relief and that we get to start getting back to ourselves real soon

Comment

get together

Originally posted by MGM Grand
                MOCity,

I am all for the Houston folks getting together for a cocktail! Hey and just think, at least none of us will have any trouble recognizing each other in a crowd ! Although I try to walk as straight as I can and like to think that no one could ever tell

I hope we all get some quick relief and that we get to start getting back to ourselves real soon

If you plan a get together send me a PM, I'll join you. I will be the one who leans to the left.

Comment

What part of Houston do you guys live in? Maybe we can find some others to join us?

Comment

Well I live in the Sugar Land area, but I work in the Galleria area, so maybe Galleria area or downtown would be a good place? But I guess we should wait to see what area everyone is in, so that way we can find a good place for everyone to come.

Comment

If you guys meet, I'm in the Humble-Lake Houston area. My two cents on the topic would be to see Dr. LaGrone if you have a prior fusion. You can catch a Southwest flight out of Hobby into Amarillio for probably about $150 to $200 roundtrip (if not less than that with a special). Dr. LaGrone also has some places to stay close to his office that they suggest.
                      Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
                      Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
                      Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
                      Fused T2 to sacrum
                      June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
                      MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Mocity,

Are you by any chance a teacher? If you are, are your first and last name initials L.C. Reading back over all your posts you sound like a fellow employee of mine! If this is you, we did daycare duty together this past year.
                        Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
                        Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
                        Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
                        Fused T2 to sacrum
                        June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
                        MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Houston get together

Hello all,

I live in the Katy area. Downtown Houston would be my pick, maybe The Texas Bar, though I'm open to suggestions. I’ve listed the website for this place.

It would be interesting to talk to others that have been through this, both the good and the bad. Mostly good (I hope..).

p.s. I've never been to this place, but my fiancé recommended it for a meeting place. In case you've never been downtown, if this place isn’t it, another is around the corner.

http://www.thestatebar.com

Lucky Luke (a.k.a.) Steve

Comment

Lots of things in common!

I too had surgery with Dr. Jesse Dickson in 1999 at the age of 20. Now, only 7 years later, I am having severe low back pain with right posterior hip pain/burning/cramping with tingling and numbness in my right foot. Left leg is fine! Frustration had been my key emotion lately since I went from being very physically active to having to try out certain excersises to see which one's hurt and which one's don't!

Yes, Dr. Hanson is a very difficult man to get a hold of. So, since I work in the area of spine surgery now, I took it upon myself to find out what was most likely wrong with me. Basically, my last two segments which aren't fused in my lumbar spine are now wearing/worn out! Not what I was expecting to happen since Dr. Dickson said my only restrictions were to
                            "not scuba dive or sky dive"............ Boy do I wish I knew then what I know now!!!!

I am so glad to have found this forum... It is very comforting to know that there are other out there who understand what I am going through.

I look foward to speaking with all of you!

Comment

Hi...

Any idea of why no scuba diving? I don't think I've ever heard that as a restriction before.

--Linda
                              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Honestly I'm not sure that there's any merit behind it, I just remember him saying that specifically. The only thing I can think of is that maybe it is because of the increased pressure when diving?? I don't dive, so I never really asked why!

Comment

Working...
                                X