Anybody in Texas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wanted to say Hi to everyone, I live in Missouri City. I also
    wanted to give you another option. I'm taking my daughter tomorrow to see Dr. Rex Marco at the Univ. of Texas Spine Center (off 610 somewhere around Bellaire, http://www.utdocs.com/provdir/provdir_frmst.htm, type in his name to see a brief bio). I really don't know anything about him, this will be our first visit, but it said he's certified in Spinal surgery. He's also recently been trained to fit the Spinecor brace which is the reason we are seeing him tomorrow. My daughter is already wearing it, but we are seeking a 2nd opinion on the proper fitting of it. I'm assuming he has an interest in scoliosis or he wouldn't be doing the Spinecor. I've also heard the Spinecor may give pain relief to some adults, but I don't know any adult who's actually worn one so don't take my word on that. Anyway, he could at least give you another opinion, can't hurt!
    Good luck to all of you.
    Sherie
    Last edited by Sherie; 08-02-2006, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Sherie let us know how it goes. I read a little about the Spinecore brace and was curious about it. It looks like it would help the hip pain by keeping the hip where it belongs rather than sticking out. I will be there on the 17th. I am glad we were able to move the date because I was also not going to be able to make it on labor day weekend. We will have a lot to share since MoCity has her appt. with Hanson this month and I have my appointment with Dr. Shelekov's assistant this month also. I can't wait to compare our experiences.

Comment

All,

I finally decided its time to confirm my self-diagnosis of Spinal Stenosis.

I have an apt. with Dr. Hanson here in Houston.

I'm glad I dont believe in bad luck.. (Dr. Hanson Sept. 11th on the 13th floor??)

I'm still looking forward to Sam's Boat on the 17th.

Steve

Comment

Yikes! No bad luck!

I will be seeing Dr. Hanson today at 2pm. Wish me luck!
          Background - Diagnosed in 1981 with a s-curve. Very progressive. Wore a Milwalkee brace from 1981-1986. I had back surgery in 1989....spinal fusion with Harrington rods and bone from my hip.

Comment

Best wishes.

Steve--Thanks for making the arrangements for us to meet. I am looking forward to it too. I wonder what Dr. Hanson and others might think if they knew that we were getting together to talk about them. . .

Mocity--I forgot that your appointment was today. Let me know what you think of the man.

Comment

MOCITY I forgot that your appointment was today as well. yes, please let us know how it goes. I hope it goes well. Hopefully, you will get some answers soon.

Comment

Thanks to all for asking about and thinking of me...

Well, I went to Dr. Hanson today. He did say that my saggital balance is ok so that was positive. BUT I have so much pain. I already had a mylegram which showed spinal stenosis. I wish I would have asked him to explain that a little better. He wants me to get an MRI which he said would work because he is looking that the part under my fusion so he would be able to see it. I am fused to L3. He basically said since most of my spine is fused my lower vertebrae are taking all the pressure. I am probably not explaining this very
                well. Long story short.... MRI is next and then depending on that.... injections to see if that helps the pain.

I also got the impression he thought I was ok but I kept telling him I was in pain.

I guess I will keep trucking along to find some relief. At 35 I am feeling 75.

Take care!
                Background - Diagnosed in 1981 with a s-curve. Very progressive. Wore a Milwalkee brace from 1981-1986. I had back surgery in 1989....spinal fusion with Harrington rods and bone from my hip.

Comment

surgeons

Originally posted by mocity
                  I also got the impression he thought I was ok but I kept telling him I was in pain.
                  I know what you mean. He responds to pain complaints, rather "matter of factly". He can't know what your pain is--no sympathy here. So he gets the test and then makes a decision. Seems typical of surgeons though.

Comment

Get together

Originally posted by luckyluke
                    Hello all,

Wish you were closer Jer.

Let's try to meet on Sunday afternoon around 2:00, Sept. 17th at Sam's Boat on Richmond. Good seafood and cold drinks!!

I know this is a far away date, but with everyone’s different schedules, we have to pick one and go with it. I just hope it works for everyone.

Our table will have a white balloon attached. Hopefully we can find a table; otherwise we will be the ones carrying a white balloon around. Ha!

I've attached the website for Sams, which contains directions.

See you there...

Steve and Angie

(Herrington Rod in 1979 - Fusion with bone from hip - Dr. Wendell Erwin - Methodist Hospital)
                    I hope everyone can make it on Sunday.

My appt. with Dr. Hanson was on Sept 12th.

Dr. Hanson confirmed my analysis of spinal stenosis. He said that at the time I had my surgery they were unaware of complications down the road. I still have no regrets whatsoever of having the surgery in 1979. Dr. Erwin was, in my mind the best surgeon for this procedure. Dr. Herrington was even there to assist. I have been and continue to be very blessed. After all, I went 27 years without an ounce of problems.

I'm now scheduled for a mylagram on Sept. 18th and revision surgery is most likely fast approaching.

I will know more on Tuesday as to how long I can put this off and also how extensive it will be.

It's never going to be the right time to have surgery; I'm currently in the height of my career though. I'm hoping I can postpone it until next year, but my leg numbness is getting progressively worse.

I didn’t intend on a long note. I just wanted to confirm our get together at 2:00 on Sept. 17th at Sam's Boat on Richmond. Look for the table with the white balloon

Take care and see you all soon,

Steve

Comment

I am looking forward to it. I hope everyone can make it.
                      I can't wait to meet all of you in person

Comment

Dr. Stanley Jones

Has anyone heard of Dr. Stanley Jones here in Houston? I was told he has a whole floor in the Southwest Medical Center Hospital dedicated to patients with spinal problems. His specialty is the lumber spine.

Thanks,
                        Steve

Comment

Arg! I missed the get together! How was it? How did your appts go MGM and Luke?

I had my appt with Hanson. So now I had a myleogram which showed minor spinal stenosis and an MRI which shows minor disc degeneration under my fusion. I am fused from the top to L3. Hanson's diagnosis......... don't exercise if it makes my back hurt, try Yoga and take 3 advil in the morning to help with inflammation. I am so irritated.........

Comment

I also had to miss the get together. I ended up getting an e-mail from my boss at 7:30, Sunday morning giving me an assignment. I was fuming. I had been looking forward to our meeting. MoCity, it sounds like the Dr. Hanson appt. was not worth too much which is what I was afraid of. I went to see Shelekov in Plano, but only saw his assistant who said I need an epidural nerve block on the c-spine, so that is scheduled for this Friday. I still have my appt. with Dr. Lagrone next week in Amarillo so I will see who I like best. Soooo frustrating!!

Comment

MGM, Let me know how your appt goes and who you like better. Someone on another site said once you have all your test results you can send them to LaGrone in Amarillo and he will look at them without you having to go in. I might try that but Hanson has all my results.

Hopefully we will get answers soon. I wonder who was able to make the get-together??

Comment

East Texas

Hi WolfSoul. I also live in East Texas now. I had my first surgery in 1997. I have a devloping flatback and I will eventually have surgery. I went to see Dr. LaGrone in Amarillo several years ago to get an assement of my situation. He is a wonderful man. Has a very calm manner and takes his time with you. He also works with a physician's assistant (I think that is the term) Terry, a man who has been with him for many years. I feel this is signifigant because of the risks involved in revision, or any surgery really, and they have been working together on revision surgery. I flew to see him. Rented a car from Enterprise, who picked me up at the airport and took me to my hotel, which was very close to the hospital. I flew out of Shreveport, but you may be able to fly out of Tyler by now. Good luck. I hope you can see Dr. LaGrone. Ann B.

Comment

Working...
                                X