Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoulder Blade Pain

Hi,

I have two curves one in the top thoracic and one in the lumbar.
    I don't get much back pain at all only where my top curve is its like the pain is in my left shoulder blade because my thoracic curve is too the left.

Does anyone experience shoulder blade pain and does anyone know how i can relief that pain?

Thanks
    Had surgery May 28th 2007 Anterior/Posterior getting fused from T3 - L3

http://curvedgirl.blogspot.com

I don't know how to relieve it, but yes I suffer from it too. I think it is due to the shifting ribcage. I'm seeing my ortho today and talking about surgical options.
    28 years old. Dx at age 14.

1994 20T/20L
    1998 22T/20L
    2002 30T/28L
    2006 34T/28L
    2008 43T/34L

considering surgery in the near future as the curvature is getting progressively worse and for pain management.

XRAYS and pics at 28 years old. http://www.freewebs.com/skiergirl24/apps/photos/

Comment

Hi,

I also have pain between the shoulder blades and especially on the right side of it. However, I am having a hard time understanding why the pain is in the upper back and not the lower back because my curves are T22 and L45. I would expect to have pain in the lower back but for some reason my lower back does not hurt at all.

The only thing I do to releive the pain is get a massage or just go to sleep. Those are the only two things that relieve my upper back pain.

LeeLee85 what are your curves measurements?

I am curious to know and how often would you say you get the pain?

Thanks!

Mariya
      30 yrs, mom to two girls ages 9 and 7
      8/9/04 - 18* thoracic and 42* lumbar
      3/7/06 - 22* thoracic and 45* lumbar (38*kyphosis)
      4/8/08 - 38* thoracic and 50-52* lumbar (54* kyphosis)

2007 - Scheduled surgery but cancelled due to no major health issues at the time.
      2011 - Back pain, spasms, sciatica, difficulty doing any physical work/activities w/o following back pain and spasms. Revisiting surgery decision and soon to schedule a doctors appointment to determine the progression since 2008.

Comment

Hi Mariya.
        Well i went to the physio and i was sore because i was really stiff where my top curve was she said all the joints around my curve weren't getting much movement, so i've been given exercises to do and now i feel fantastic. But im getting surgery next year my curves measured 60 thoracic and 50 lumbar.
        The only thing is im pretty up set that i need surgery because i never get much back pain but because my curves have moved since i was 15 now 21 i need surgery

Comment

i have shoulder-blade pain ALL THE TIME behind my right shoulder blade- my top curve goes to the right... it also hurts when i breathe... one of my doctors suggested it could be from costochondritis, which is inflamation of the cartilage connecting your ribs to your spine, prolly just because of the altered mechanics in your back... i haven't found a way to relieve it yet though...
          aBbiE
          22 yr old F,KU college student
          Kyphoscoliosis...
          Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
          Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
          I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
          Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
          all smiles!

Comment

shoulder blade pain

i too have shoulder blade pain and like right under neath it also.the only thing that helps me is to lay down on my back or to stretch backward a little.
            Trudy T60 L70 posterior surgery feb.8th 2007

Comment

I have this pain as well. Bengay helps a little. I often rotate my shoulder so it pops and cracks which then relieves some of the pain. I'm probably going to get a TENS unit soon. Hopefully this will help.
              Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
              2003- 33 degrees
              2005- 37 degrees
              2006- 44 degrees
              May 2007- 47 degrees
              December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
              Fused T1 to L2
              Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

Shoulder blade pain

I also have this wierd pain. It feels numb in between the blade and the spine sometimes. And most of the time it just aches and feels like it is out of place. The conscious stress to keep my posture makes my muscles tired. There is no way to describe this unless you feel it.

Comment

My shoulder hurts all the time I have to really concentrate at being straight with my posture My doctor says my curve at 70 will always be disfiguring not life threating But to look at myself is just disgusting

Comment

I too have this cursed pain behind my shoulder blade. I believe it is a symptom of the underlying muscles attempting to correct the unbalanced posture. Life is truly hellish with this constant reminder drilling itself deep within ones somatic architecture. I would surmise that the damnation of asymmetry ranks among some of the worst of undue punishments. I have no cure, but simple and fleeting relief from a massage.

-BaDnOn

Comment

My back always hurts in a location that would best be described as my trapezius (?) muscle- a little above and to the left of my right shoulderblade. I can feel the dull ache all the way through to my chest. I have found that it helps if I stretch it. To do that, I bend my right elbow all the way and lock it there, then bring my arm up so my hand is in a fist, but kind of reaching down my back to where it hurts (elbow still locked). Then I bring my chin towards my chest and push back/down on my right elbow with my left hand.

I get sort of a popping sensation right in my back where it hurts, and while it doesn't make it stop hurting entirely, it does temporarily dull the pain. I hope this helps some of you all too!

What's weird is that it doesn't even feel like its stretching anything in my left arm if I do the exact same thing on that side...

Comment

Hi everyone,

I just went back to this post to read more about the shoulder blade pain because it has really been bothering me lately. I was scheduled to have surgery on September 19 of this year but cancelled it for various reasons and one of those reasons is that I really want to first try alternative methods for my pain before I decide to have surgery. Also, the doctor told me that the pain would not go away with surgery in the upper back and that I juut need to strenghten the back muscles.

I am trying to figure out what would help me as well in regards to the back pain which is mostly in the upper back right where the shoulder blades are and also in between. I only get the pain when I do something physically and that has really been stressful. I am not in pain most of the day and so it only bothers me in the evening.

I am not sure what I need to do first. Should I see a physical therapist and get proper exercises for my back or what??? I have only been expiriencing this pain in the last year or so and desperately want some help.

Please if anyone has any suggestions where to start I would really appreciate it!!!

Mariya
                        Last edited by mariya; 09-25-2006, 10:21 PM.
                        30 yrs, mom to two girls ages 9 and 7
                        8/9/04 - 18* thoracic and 42* lumbar
                        3/7/06 - 22* thoracic and 45* lumbar (38*kyphosis)
                        4/8/08 - 38* thoracic and 50-52* lumbar (54* kyphosis)

2007 - Scheduled surgery but cancelled due to no major health issues at the time.
                        2011 - Back pain, spasms, sciatica, difficulty doing any physical work/activities w/o following back pain and spasms. Revisiting surgery decision and soon to schedule a doctors appointment to determine the progression since 2008.

Comment

Hi Mariya,
                          I was the one that posted this thread and i went to see a physio and i've been going once every two weeks for a bout a month and a half. She treated me every session and also gave me 11 exercises to do and now i don't have pain there anymore. She told me it was because my spine curves its pushing the muscles and also i was very stiff in my upper back.
                          So i would advise to go to a physio and see if they can treat you or even give you a couple of exercises. It helped me...

Lee

Comment

Hi,

I have thoracic scoliosis which causes constant pain throughout my body. I have constant pain in my sholder that shoots down my arm when i move it quickly. Doctors don't seem to know why i'm in so much pain as my curve isn't that bad so they won't operate. They tell me to take pain killers and to not stand or walk for too long.

I tried accupuncture and a tens machine. Both have really helped. Thinking about a back support but not sure what type is best.

K

Comment

Could some of ya'll that have exercises that helps relieve this describe some of them.
                              I have a similar pain between my right shoulder blade and spine even though I've had the surgery. There is a hook and screw in this area as well, and I always say my screw hurts, especially after exercising or strenuous activity.
                              Harrington Rods in 1991 at age 15
                              Surgery at Scottish Rite in Dallas, TX

Fused from T-4 to L-3

Comment

Working...
                              X