No announcement yet.

Baylor Scoliosis Commercial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well not strange but im wondering what the difference in that commercial than any other hospital or clinic commerical.
    Trudy T60 L70 posterior surgery feb.8th 2007

Comment

Hi...

I've just never seen a spine surgeon pay for a commercial before, and it made me wonder why he felt the need to do so.

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

In my opinion, if you are a sought out surgeon with many patients you have no need to advertise for more patients. Advertisement of any kind is extremely expensive. That doesn't mean this surgeon is not fully trained and skilled...maybe he is just new and is trying to get his name out. But, for me personally, I wouldn't go to any medical professional that advertised.

For me, word of mouth, other patients testifying to a surgeons abilities is one of the most important things to me.

Kindest Regards,
        Gail

Comment

If we were to let advertisement affect our judgment on services whether it be services by a doctor, lawyer, plumber, well-known department store, etc., then we all would have more money in our own pockets. But, the fact is, advertising does pay off.

Now, with that being said, I am a patient of the doctor you refer. He is not a newbie in this field and trying to drum up business. And, his business definitely isn’t slow. It takes a couple of months for a new patient to get an appointment. He is well sought after nationally because of his skill, how he treats his patients and the results he can provide. He is well known internationally as well. The type of advertisement he presents is to let adults know there is hope and treatment for them. There is an abundance of information out there about infant and childhood scoliosis treatment, but rarely if anything for suffering adults. I made an appointment with Dr. Shelokov because of an advertisement in a magazine.

It could be that most of you have had treatment for the better part of your life. Maybe your treatment started out when you were a child. As for me, I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was 14 years of age. I am 49 today. For whatever reason, my parents did not seek treatment for me. In my mid-30’s I began to seek treatment for the pain I had with my back and inquire as to what could be done. I was told by many a physician over the years there was nothing that could be done about my scoliosis and “I would just have to learn to live with the pain; reconcile myself to the fact I would be in a wheelchair by the time I was 50; and, I would come to know death sooner than if I had a perfect spine!” Up until 3 years ago I was doing just that – learning to live with it. If it had not been for that bit of advertisement in a magazine, I wouldn’t have the life I know today. I am pain free and enjoying life again. I know that without Dr. Shelokov, I certainly would not be enjoying my passion - riding a motorcycle! So, before you make judgement on a doctor or facility for providing information through publicity, think about those adults who don’t know there is hope and treatment for them. Maybe this will be the one way they do find out, seek treatment and know some relief.
          Last edited by SweetPea; 09-04-2006, 05:39 PM.
          Laurie
          Grapevine Texas
          Anterior/Posterior Surgery T2-S1 in April 2004
          Dr. Alexis Shelokov, Plano Texas
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Life should not be measured by the number of breaths we take,
          but by the number of moments that take our breath away

Comment

Thanks for all of your responses.

There are many adults with scoliosis who are told that there is nothing that can be done for them. Do any of you have any ideas of how those people can be reached with the information that there is help (other than in forums such as this)?

--Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

i think on the news when they broadcast different health topics that are informative, scoliosis is a great one to broadcast,even a commercial or two on tv would be good.the forums are an excellent way also that everyone can reach out and share the information and experiences.
              Trudy T60 L70 posterior surgery feb.8th 2007

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine
                Thanks for all of your responses.

There are many adults with scoliosis who are told that there is nothing that can be done for them. Do any of you have any ideas of how those people can be reached with the information that there is help (other than in forums such as this)?

--Linda

Good question Linda. Maybe this is something that should be posed to the woman you met through your friend? I believe you said she was in marketing. Or, if there is someone who subscribes to this forum who is in marketing, maybe they could come forward with some ideas. I would have no clue how one would go about this, but, maybe instead of a physician's advertisement, have a group of people like ourselves who have had treatment selling the message there is hope and treatment for adults? At least it would get the message out there and leave the individual to seek out a doctor who is right for them. Just a thought.
                Laurie
                Grapevine Texas
                Anterior/Posterior Surgery T2-S1 in April 2004
                Dr. Alexis Shelokov, Plano Texas
                Life should not be measured by the number of breaths we take,
                but by the number of moments that take our breath away

Comment

Hello? Are you kidding?

You are offended that one of the top scoliosis surgeons advertised? Do you know that ad saved my life? I was told repeatedly there was no hope... I was the marketing director for a shopping center that advertised in Texas Monthly. I saw the ad. I called when things were hopeless. Dr. Shelokov did a full spinal reconstruction and corrected my 77 degree kyphotic curve. Oh, and I was 37 with a 15 month old baby and 12 year old son at the time.

And, when I wrote an email via his website, he called me that night! And they took tricare for me - so he got a measly little 8K for a half -million surgery.

Advertisements are to reach people. People who thought there was no hope. It reached me.

Finally, my father has kyphosis. It causes him no pain and has never progressed. If you read Dr. Shelokov's article/interview on his website, he makes a point that it does accelerate in women - usually after a second child (exactly what happened to me) - due to our hormones, child bearing, etc.
                  As the former director of marketing for one of the country's most successful shopping centers, I will tell you that you market to your market. You reach the most people you can.
                  the proof is in the pudding.... HOW MANY MEN DO YOU SEE POSTING ON THIS FORUM? sure there could be a few, but it isn't the majority of the market.
                  THANK GOD HE ADVERTISED AND I KNEW HE WAS OUT THERE.
                  GOD BLESS HIM AND HIS STAFF.
                  Diane
                  39 y.o. female
                  Aug. 9 '05 - T-1 through S-1; Dr. Shelokov -Plano
                  Oct. 14 '97 - L4-L5/L5-S1 fusion BAK fusion cages (san antonio)
                  Feb. 14 '89 - laminectomy l4-l5/l5-s1 (omaha)
                  braced as an adolescent

Comment

Originally posted by dianebetts
                    You are offended that one of the top scoliosis surgeons advertised?
                    Who said they were offended?

Hi Diane...

Do you know that ad saved my life? I was told repeatedly there was no hope... I was the marketing director for a shopping center that advertised in Texas Monthly. I saw the ad. I called when things were hopeless. Dr. Shelokov did a full spinal reconstruction and corrected my 77 degree kyphotic curve.
                    According to Michael Neuwirth in "The Scoliosis Sourcebook," normal kyphosis is 30-70 degrees, so I'm surprised that anyone told you that you'd die with a 77 degree kyphosis.
                    HOW MANY MEN DO YOU SEE POSTING ON THIS FORUM? sure there could be a few, but it isn't the majority of the market.
                    Well, with the reasoning, I guess none of us should get treatment, since people with scoliosis are definitely a minority.

I'm glad you got treatment and had a good outcome. And, I can understand why you want to defend your surgeon. I personally still think it's a little odd for a scoliosis surgeon to be so interested in PR, but that's just MHO.

--Linda

Comment

Linda,

According to Michael Neuwirth in "The Scoliosis Sourcebook," normal kyphosis is 30-70 degrees, so I'm surprised that anyone told you that you'd die with a 77 degree kyphosis.
                      I don't believe that Dianebetts said anything about dieing.??? I would assume (very carefully) that she was in a lot of discomfort and was dreading the idea of living the rest of her life that way, and possibly worse if things progressed. Belittling her 77 degree curvature does not serve any purpose.

I'm sure there's very useful information in "The Scoliosis Handbook", but any attempt to define "normal" in the human body will prove to be a tricky task. 'Average' might be a better word, as many folks have kyphotic curvatures within that range, but it doesn't mean that it's healthy(or as Michael Neuwirth defines as "normal"). 30 - 50 degrees, sure that's a range within acceptable limits that I would agree is probably manageable and healthy for most (After all, we do need that kyphosis in our thoracic spine.). But 60 - 70 or above... I have treated and known many people with curvatures within this 'acceptable' range who have minor to severe cardiothoracic complications... and I don't believe they're a coincidence.

Most of these people will, if not already, experience some form of musculoskeletal dysfuntion and/or degeneration as well. A 60 -70 degree kyphosis puts tremendous loading forces on the bodies and discs throughout the thoracic region, not to mention stress & inhibition on the lungs/diaphragm/mediastinum/pericardium/abdominal viscera, etc.. I've seen similar comments made in the past regarding "normal" kyphotic curves... It is misleading to tell people that it's "normal", thus insinuating that there is nothing to be concerned with. The higher end of that range IS something to be at least mindful of, as it will likely lead to a variety of potential problems (Even elsewhere in the cervical or lumbar spine, as these portions attempt to adapt to positioning of the thoracic.)

I don't think it's fair to put words in Diane's mouth or depreciate her situation because it doesn't jive with what 'the book' says.

Structural

Comment

It's beginning to feel like you're stalking me darlin'.

Originally posted by structural75
                        I don't believe that Dianebetts said anything about dieing.???
                        Originally posted by Dianebetts
                        Do you know that ad saved my life? I was told repeatedly there was no hope.

Belittling her 77 degree curvature does not serve any purpose.
                        I'm getting REALLY tired of you misinterpreting my words, and I'd really appreciate it if you stopped it. I was not belittling anyone. I was pointing out that a 77 degree kyphosis is not a life threatening condition. Interesting that you blast surgery whenever you want to blast me, but when it serves your purpose to attack me, it's a good thing.

I have tried VERY hard to not attack you, and I'd appreciate that same consideration. I'm fairly certain that you're intentionally trying to provoke me. You have better things to do, and so do I. So, can we just start ignoring one another? Please!

--Linda

Comment

LindaR-

You're wearing thin on me too, sweety . Linda, you've been on my case since I came onto this forum... before any sparks flew between us. You questioned my credentials, my profession and have taken petty shots at me in benign circumstances.(All of my posts are available for viewing to prove this fact.) I have made myself completely transparent to everyone by providing a link to my website in my personal profile, if they care to know more about me. One of my latest posts (Sacrum vs. Ilium) was a simple, straightforward response to someone elses question. Of which you replied with a sarcastic remark about "textbooks". Who's "provoking" who here???

Interesting that you say I've "blasted" surgery... I have NEVER created an arguement against surgery, with anyone! (Please, show me the quote where I "blast" surgery.) Have you completely overlooked several of my disclosures on my opinion about surgical and non-surgical interventions alike?

I think it's obvious that not many people question all of the info you put forth. And you certainly don't like it when they do, despite doing it to others yourself. I only clarify when I feel it's important. And given that you've destroyed the credibility of many others to boost your own, people look to you for advice with no way of knowing if it's sound. Recommendations about Doctors are one thing, but speculation on anatomical and clinical findings is another. Making broad generalizations that might affect someones decisions is walking on thin ice. When I post, I try to give options, possibilities, or anatomical clarifications... that's it!

Originally Posted by Dianebetts
                          Do you know that ad saved my life? I was told repeatedly there was no hope.
                          I believe that was a figure of speech. Maybe Diane can clear that up for us.

I was pointing out that a 77 degree kyphosis is not a life threatening condition
                          Says who??? Who's to say that a 77 degree kyphosis can't cause life threatening cardiothoracic problems? Do you know this person's medical history/conditions, or any others for that matter? Do you have any idea of what happens to the internal organ structures within the thorax in cases of excessive kyphosis? In fact, curvatures need not be more than "100 degrees" before organ "damage" occurs, as you stated in previous posts.

What I find interesting is that you can somehow be the one to qualify when a condition is "serious" or not.???

Others have found my previous posts interesting to read, until they turn into defensive debates due to attacks from folks like yourself. The discussion is fine until you attempt to discredit someone (and you've done it to several others).

I have tried VERY hard to not attack you
                          "Attack" me over what??? What is it that you're holding back? You know, if there's something you want to discuss, go ahead. I'd be more than happy to have a civilized and intelligent conversation with you. Why must it be another "attack"?

So, can we just start ignoring one another?
                          'Ignorance is bliss'

Structural
                          Last edited by structural75; 12-03-2006, 01:14 AM.

Comment

LindaR-

You're wearing thin on me too, sweety . Linda, you've been on my case since I came onto this forum... before any sparks flew between us. You questioned my credentials, my profession and have taken petty shots at me in benign circumstances.
                            Pretty funny that you think I asked about your credentials because I was taking a shot at you. I questioned your profession because I wanted people to understand that you were a professional, as I felt it was important to distinguish between professional and non-professional advice. You've since made me very sorry that I ever thought anything nice about you.

So, go on and keep taking shots at me. I promise that this is my last post to you, and if you keep stalking me, it may well be my last post here period. I'm here to help people and because I enjoy the conversation with my fellow scoliosis patients. I don't enjoy constantly being quoted out of context and having to defend every word I say.

--Linda

Comment

Structural, with all due respect, please let Linda do her job, which is to moderate this forum. We all know that she's not a medical professional. What she does is facilitate discussion -- she's not trying to be the last word on any issues or diagnoses related to scoliosis or kyphosis. The main purpose of this forum is to share ideas, information, and feelings about our common experiences with scoliosis. We all realize that this forum is not a substitute for expert medical opinion and/or advice.

I know that rolfing helps some people with scoliosis pain, and that's great. We appreciate your offering it as an alternative treatment for scoliosis pain. I'm not trying to dismiss you and I certainly don't question your credentials or professional knowledge. I'm simply asking that you respect the friendly and compassionate spirit of this forum.

thanks.
                              Chris
                              A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                              Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                              Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                              Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Singer,

This is obviously not about "Rolfing", or the pain management/corrective potential of the work... it's about perspectives. Please re-read my initial posts throughout before you suggest that they are anything but respectful of the friendly and compassionate spirit of this forum. Singer, you cannot excuse someone elses behavior simply because of their title/job description, that's no excuse for rudeness. (If she were just "facilitating discussions", then why do they contain sarcasm and insults towards others?)

I will cease posting on this forum so that Linda can comfortably take the reins without challenge. Stalking is quite different than holding someone accountable for their words.

Play nice now... and have mercy on those who follow with thoughts and ideas different than your own.

To others... good luck and best wishes on your journey!

"Our stability lies in appropriate relationships, and that is all." (figuratively and physically alike)

Kind Regards,
                                Structural

p.s. - Maybe you should consider removing the Non-Surgical category if you're not willing to give it much attention, credibilty or consideration as an adjunct.??

Comment

Working...
                                X