Another female question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another female question

Have any of you been on birth control pills prior to the surgery? I am on a low-dose pill, and I am wondering what would happen if I did need surgery. Would they let me take it in the hostpial? Someone would have to remind me. Of course I do know that I won't be needing the actual birth control for some time after the surgery , but stopping suddenly would bring on my period, and isn't that sort of the last thing I would need? Also, stopping suddenly in the middle of a pack isn't very smart if I have been relying on it for birth control all month. Anyone had to deal with this before?

Kathryn

I have no clue, but I've definitely been wondering the same thing! Hmmm...

Comment

Don't worry you can take them in the hospital. Nurses won't give them to you but friend/family can. The day of surgery you can't eat or drink that morn. so someone will have to help you to remember and take them that evening. You will be pretty out of it and will need help to remember to take them for a few days actually. While we are on "girl stuff" A lot of people said surgery caused them to start their period even though it wasn't time or they just had it. It doesn't happen to everyone but be prepared just in case. So it's B Y O P (pads) or use the HUGE ones the hospital has.

Comment

Hi, that's a very good question because i think that would be the last thing on my mind after the surgery....
        I didn't had it (surgery) and still thinking about having one and this is a good thing you mentioned about the pills
        26 year old with 55 degrees thoracic curve

Comment

getting period with bc?

I'm so glad there is this forum - this question has totally been on my mind!
          I also heard that surgery might actually bring on your period, and quite frankly, the thought of someone else "helping me out" with this does NOT make me happy. Does anyone know if surgery could still bring on your period if you do continue to take the birth control?
          "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
          Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
          19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

I'm not sure but I'm thinking it's not very likely, since the pill basically prevents that. So let's hope that having to get our mothers (in my case...) to give us our birth control pills will actually end up being a blessing. LOL

Comment

I DID not have my period while taking BCP's after surgery. But, I was still prepaired. Trust me you won't care who does what to you after surgery, you will be pretty out of it. Nurses have see and done it all and for the most part are kind and understand how they would feel if it was them. Now I did have one male nurse I wouldn't have wanted to help me in this area had I needed it.

Comment

Hi,

I am due my surgery in about a month and was told by my surgeon not to takt my contraceptive pills for at least 6 weeks before hand and that surgery will bring on my period even though I am not due on then. I am also not looking forwad to needing help in that area.

Karen x
                Anterior surgery 18th Jan 07
                Fused from T8 to T12 with 2 ribs removed
                Surgery was done by Mr Harrison and his team at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore, England
                Revision posterior surgery on 26th April 07 to remove protruding rib stumps
                No longer wearing a Stanmore custom hard backed brace
                Posterior surgery on 18th August 08 due to non fusion of first op and further kyphosis. Two rods from T2 to T12

Comment

Periods

I was not on the pill for all my surgeries, and the first time it took two months to start again(wich was cool), and this last time it started after a few days in the hospital. I had a few pads but nurses are used to this and have some. I was walking at that point and took care of it myself though.
                  Last edited by sweetness514; 07-15-2006, 02:16 PM.
                  35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                  Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                  Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                  Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                  Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

My period started a few days after my surgery. The poor nurses would come in and change my pad several times a day for me. But after a couple of times of this, you get to the point that you don't care anymore. But I just remember really feeling bad for the nurses, but like everyone said, I think they are used to this.

Comment

Working...
                    X