No announcement yet.

Herrington Rod - Surgery in 1979

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Linda, thankyou for your reply. I was operated on in the end of 1966 by Mr William G Doig. He, at the time was the only surgeon in the southern hemisphere that could do the operation, I found out at 13 (1964) that I had the type of adolescent scoliosis that comes on for no reason,( no polio)and I had to wait for 2 years before they could operate on me.
    I had the old style of operation, you would know the one, with two rods inserted, I was an absolute mess waiting the two years as my back just deteriated so much.
    Mr Doig has retired now, but before he retired he sent me a letter and told me that I also had had a lumbar scoliosis that compensated for the thoracic curve and that was why my operation was so complicated. I have two rods inserted. I was operated on in the Royal Melbourne Hospital at Frankston which is now an old folks home.

I have recently met an occupational therapist who told me that early in 1966 she attended the Royal childrens hospital in Sydney she was a young nurse then. She saw Mr Harrington operate on 5 young women with Mr William Doig in attendance. I guess he was learning how to do the operation. Anyway some of the outcomes werent too happy I am afraid. She told me that one actually died, 2 were paralized and two were ok.
    I was the 7th person operated on in Australia. We both were so shocked that her work had bought here here to Launceston which is in Tasmania which is a suburb of Australia and we were to meet and is my occupational therapist. She is wonderful as she has seen the operation first hand she knows what I am going through.

I didnt think that there were any revision doctors over here in Australia, I mean REALLY good revision doctors. Peter Turner is I think mainly a scoliosis surgeon although he does look at patients like myself.
    I hope that information will help the person who is doing the time line. I have looked at Yahoo and will continue to do so.
    Thankyou so much for taking the time for those references that was so nice of you. I really wish with all my heart that something could be done. Maybe I will have to travel to America as my body is deteriating much like Elizabeth Mina writes will happen as some Harrington rod patients age.
    Thanks again, you really are so kind.

Macky .
    Last edited by macky; 08-17-2006, 12:30 AM. Reason: spelling
    Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
    Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

According to my post-op patient information, Dr. Harrington started to do the instrumentation and fusion surgery in approximately 1962-63. At that time, however, he had only operated on about 400-500 patients. Dr. Harrington did my surgery in December, 1966 in Houston. Although the surgery was no longer considered experimental at that time, it was not performed in Philadelphia (where I was living) or in many other cities in the U.S.

Shelley

Comment

Hi Shelley, thanks for that information. I have just read all your posts and you seem to be doing really well. So good to see someone else who has had the rods in as long as I have.

Macky
        Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
        Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

Working...
        X