Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When do you have enough pain for surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curve progression

Just another thing I remember my Dr. telling me. Once you get to 50* curve then gravity becomes a factor as well as curve progression. It can pull you over more then just the usual progressing of curve. Great huh? Like there aren't enough problems with curve progress.....

Comment

suzy---I believe that...I can feel that gravity working on me right now... ...Ly
      60/60 curves....

Comment

Berta, do you know what your cobb angles for your scoliosis were in your youth, and what they are now? I'm interested to know how/if they progressed.

Kathryn

Comment

My curve didn't progress from my late teens to when I did have surgery(60 degrees both times) at the age of 26- and actually my lumbar curve decreased. Pain started to bug me on a daily basis, and that happened b/c I had to stop working due to other health issues and all the laying around made my muscles weak. Went to a chiro who took care of my pain for some months but then it came back and I decided that it was time to get surgery b/c of the pain, the fear of lungs and heart being affected and I only had to have posterior and not anterior as well YET.

I still have pain, and this is three surgeries later. Some pain got taken care of, some is less and some new ones appeared-neck stiffness, hardware inflammation(screws)- and I have done many things to help lessen these pains. Everybody is different but I took the risk of getting surgery b/c I wasn't pain free with my 60 degree curve, so might as well take a chance is what I thought. My ortho was straight with me concerning pain and if the surgery would take care of it, I only wish he would have told me about revision surgeries and long term risks(pains).

Btw, I also was told that scoliosis could be the cause of stomach problems and hypoglicemia, but I tend to believe it's not all of the time.
          35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
          Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
          Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
          Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
          Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Originally posted by dawney
            I went to the Madonna concert tonight, which was great, but I was in agony the whole time.
            Missed it, and I was down about that. Too many people pushing me would have been worse though at this point. Got a DVD from a friend though Last time I saw her was in '93 with the Girlie Show Tour, it was the last time she came to town.
            Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
            Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
            Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

I took an extra painkiller before the show, but it was still rough. Would do it again, we had awesome seats.
              surgery 9/06
              Rothman institute

Comment

Hey Wakatie,tnx for answering me...well i don't have any children but am planning in next years to change that...you are right about sooner the better for surgery recuperation,but i found steady job right now and can't plan any surgery at least 2 or 3 years if i want to keep it...of course if pain will start and begin to torchure me in a way that i can't do nothing i will go sooner....is it a rule that everybody with scoliosis greater then 50 degrres have pain and eventualy has to go to operation?
                26 year old with 55 degrees thoracic curve

Comment

Wakatie,
                  Sorry I didn't answer you right away, about what my curves were before and now. Yes, they did progress. I've been guilty about being facing my scoliosis all my life, with little pain, so that is why I guess. I've only had my curves measured 3 times, I think, my whole life. When I was diagnosed at about 16, even though I remember feeling my lower back was bigger on one side than the other much sooner than that. I don't know what the curves were measured at then. (hmm, wonder if my 81 yr. old mother has any of that info. still....but doubt it!) When I was about 33, I had 33 upper and 34 or so lower, about. Now at 57, (talk about ignoring it until the pain won't let me!), I've just received the report.....50 upper and 60 lower, and +4 rotation in lumbar, plus stenosis. So.......YES, it progressed a lot. And I've always been active, kept in shape and had a really healthy diet, so those genes just take over, and age and gravity make it worse. Get fixed while you are young, I say!
                  Berta in Hawaii

Comment

Hi berta

You said that you've excersised a lot...did you excersise pilates and yoga and it didn't help you? That's not good...
                    you're curves progressed in spite of that....well during last 13 years my curve got worse for 11 degrees and that was in my teen age and i didn't excersise at all...so many people tell me that it is not that bad at all ( i mean that'ts about 0,84 per year)..what do you think?
                    thanks
                    26 year old with 55 degrees thoracic curve

Comment

Hi Sweety,
                      I was just natually physically active in my teenage years, but didn't do any particular exercises. I didn't exercise to keep in shape until my late 20's, but have been since and I'm 57. I'm sure that pilates and yoga and aerobics, etc. have helped for sure! I would have been in pain a lot sooner than I am, since my pain only started a year ago. BUT, exercise does not make our scoliosis stop, and I've read and do believe that a curve more that 40 will get worse no matter what. I went from a double 30+ degree in my early 30's to a 50 upper and 60 lower now. Guess that tells you something. I would get surgery over with while I was young, if I had the choice. Good luck in your decision!
                      Berta in Hawaii

Comment

Hi Berta and Sweety,

I also believe that yoga, pilates, and exercise do help, but are probably not a cure. I've done a lot of exercise and am pretty committed to it now as surgery approaches. I have heard from numerous people that doing yoga, pilates, swimming, etc. before the surgery will help A LOT in recovery. So, I'm faithfully exercising and so far, it hasn't diminished the pain, but I hope it makes me stronger for recovery. It also helps me feel proactive about my condition.
                        Berta, you mentioned doing the surgery while you're young instead. I'm 27 with a 55 degree thoracolumbar curve. My surgeon will operate now or later and it is difficult to make the decision with a bunch of "what ifs." I do worry about having kids and putting them through the surgery with me, but I still have that "what if" I don't really need it . . . wishful thinking???
                        "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
                        Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
                        19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Curve progressing

I'm not sure it happens with everybody who has a 40+ curve. Mine stayed the same in 10 years and the lumbar one decreased. I know of women who had 40ish curves and have lived with them, and kept strong with exercises and it has not progressed.

Comment

I agree. I have a moderate curve (34 degrees thoracic, 32 degrees lumbar) but I am in pain all day every day. Usually it is a dull, throbbing ache. I can literally feel my spine or something (muscles??) throbbing. But I cannot stand for long periods of time and sitting in a chair is uncomfortable for me as well. I frequently try to arch my back and get rid of the knots/pain. The only time I am NOT in pain is when I am lying down (on stomach or back not side!!). It sucks to be 26 and in pain all the time. If hte pain is seriously affecting your quality of life, then I think you should consider surgery.
                            28 years old. Dx at age 14.

1994 20T/20L
                            1998 22T/20L
                            2002 30T/28L
                            2006 34T/28L
                            2008 43T/34L

considering surgery in the near future as the curvature is getting progressively worse and for pain management.

XRAYS and pics at 28 years old. http://www.freewebs.com/skiergirl24/apps/photos/

Comment

ABHBARRY, Your description was exactly how I felt. I can't add much to it. Some days were definitely better than others, but the bad days were getting more and more frequent. I, too, was used to the pain and had a high threshold (of course, when I broke my toe, I had a low threshhold for that!). I waited until last April (I can't believe it was only one year ago), believing that my pain was "normal". At that time, I couldn't get out of bed without my husband helping me, and it just got worse. After pain shots, I was back to "normal", but was much more aware of my pain levels because I was told I had to have surgery. Listen to your body, ask questions of it. GET A SECOND OPINION, and possibly a third. (Mayo Clinic is not too far from you when you think about it. I went to Boston from TX to get my surgery.)

Hang in there! Linda

P.S. I feel pain-free almost all the time now. I had my surgery in November, 05.

Comment

Pain?

Hi, my name is Lindsey and I have scoliosis since I was 12 and I am scheduled to go to St. Louis for a appointment for my back after being there last year and not making it my usually three years. I am having complications with pain and what not. I have been having alot of pain in my chest/ sternum area and pressure between my shoulder blades I was wondering what kind of pain you all were experiencing and where?

thanks,

Lindsey

Comment

Working...
                                X