Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When do you have enough pain for surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind of pain and where particular are you having it. I am having sternum pain and was just wondering if anybody else has that and how bad is it.

Comment

how much pain warrants surgery

I spent the past five years in pain, everyday ,like yourself. Things that once seemed like simple tasks became HUGE tasks that would put me in bed. My breaking point was when we traveled 4 hours away for a Thanksgiving hockey tournament for my son and by the end I couldn't walk unless I had help from my husband or crawling on my hands and knees. I finally said this is it I can't take it anymore. It still took a little time to give my doctor that 100% go ahead. You may spend time going back and forth...I did. However, you will know when you have finally had enough. Good luck

Susan
      Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
      50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
      Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
      X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
      Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
      Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
      Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by abhbarry View Post
        This is not a question with a definitive answer, but I am having trouble determing how much pain is enough to warrant surgery. I don't remember a pain-free day, but of course, that amount of pain varies greatly. When I have pain in my daily life, it becomes almost normal and I'm not sure how to judge my own pain. Sometimes I question whether my pain is enough. . . (this may sound ridiculous). My thoracolumbar curve is at 55 degrees and my surgeon is more interested in the amount of pain I have than the degree. to make the final decision on surgery.

The other day after standing at the grocery store, I had to lay down to get rid of the lower back pain before starting dinner. Is that too much? I don't get that severe pain everyday, but it does happen. Other examples of the more severe pain - I couldn't stand through my wedding photos, I through out my left arm playing darts the other night, etc. But, of course, there are days when my lower back is just a little achy sometimes.

Any advice or personal experiences would be helpful. Thanks a bunch.
        I was that way as well. I tried explaining to those who asked about my pain levels, that everyday I have pain but to what degree was different on a day to day basis. Depended on what I did that day, how much sleep I got(hurt worse the longer I was in bed), etc. Are you considering another fusion w/Do Tribus? Or are you literally just asking others opinions? Just wondering I guess.....
        Lynn -30.... something
        DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
        At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
        At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
        Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
        UW Madison, WI Hospital
        **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Hi Lynn,

I'm not sure if you were asking these questions directed at me. I wrote this post a loooong time ago, but someone else brought it back to life with another question. No, I'm not considering another surgery with Dr. Tribus.

Best,
          Anya
          "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
          Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
          19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
          X