Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SandyC
    Sweetness,
    Just to clarify, CD Rods are just a name of the type of rod, like Harrington. Titanium is a metal, like gold or steel
    And Harrington are made of what? I'm clueless to this and I like to learn Also, what are the differences between the new Titanium ones and the Harrington ones from the '70s and '80s? Is it just that they're lighter? I know that sometimes they have called mine Harrington on my Xrays but it was more used like the term "kleenex".
    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Doctors

Just wanted to say that the ones who try to make it sound like we're nuts or don't take our pains seriously make me wanna kick them too. When I saw one after my rod broke and we couldn't see the crack in the Xray yet, I asked if a rod could break as I was clueless and he said it can't happen so easily, wich is not true, and you could hear the grinding of the rod on a screw really loud, that once my hubby looked at me like "wtf is that sound??". Told him I kept repeating something was broken inside Then the doc says he cant take out my rod that had been there for 6 years, it would be too hard. Funny how it took only three hours to take it out, with all the screws and replace it and new screws with another doctor performing surgery. Idiot.

I just change docs in that situation, and never go back there.
      Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
      Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
      Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Pain..rods..etc

Sweetness - I had a Harrington rod put in in 1987 and it broke in 89. I still have it, broken pieces and all...it is steel. Not sure why they called it Harrington, I assume ti was named after the dr who invented the rod implementation. In 89 I had two smaller rods put in that were also steel...don't know if they had an offical name.

My revision surgery in Dec was done w/ Titanium. I thought that Titanium has a better flex to it. Golf clubs are made with Titanium now...I tell my son that I basically have his sandwedge in my back (0:

MGM Grand - I have to ask...are you from Las Vegas. I am so just wondering.

I'm 7 months post op and I was hoping I'd feel better by now but no such luck. The main thing now is that the hardware is irritating and I have pain down my right leg/hip that was not there before this last surgery.

Good luck to everyone.

Kim
        Kim
        35yr mother of 4 yr old girl and 8 yr old boy
        *Dec 05 A/P revision surgery-UCSF,Dr. Deviren- fused T3 - L3, rib removal
        *1995 Hardware removal (spine collapsed into 105 degree kyphotic curve over next 8 yrs)
        *1994 Revision scoliosis surgery to remove rods and put in clamps/other type hardware, ended up having problems so went back under 5 days later
        *1992 Removal of broken Harrington rod, 2 smaller rods put in
        *1987 Harrington rod for 46 degree scoliosis curve

Comment

Thank you for the reply Kim, I had a feeling it was Steel and finally got my answer, it was bugging me and I was curious

I sympathize about having some pain that you didn't have before surgery, I have one too around my shoulder blades as well, like I said before and that's why I always think it's wise to carefully think it through before havin these surgeries with implants, but in my case I couldn't stay with all the broken stuff and it was a risk. Talking to people IRL who have screws in other parts of their bodies as well as some in their backs, I come to realize that it's not that uncommon to feel some pain associated with the hardware. It is frustrating b/c I was pain free for 5 years before my rod broke, and it had taken me almost two years to get to that point of well being- witgh a lot of discipline and exercise, not to mention patience. Now it feels like I'm back at the starting point.

You're in my thoughts, and I wish you luck

Comment

Originally posted by sweetness514
            And Harrington are made of what? I'm clueless to this and I like to learn Also, what are the differences between the new Titanium ones and the Harrington ones from the '70s and '80s? Is it just that they're lighter? I know that sometimes they have called mine Harrington on my Xrays but it was more used like the term "kleenex".
            I asked Dr. Marc Asher if he'd ever heard of Harrington rods being made of titanium (as several people told me that they had them), and he said that Harrington rods were only stainless steel, at least here in the U.S. Harrington rods are being manufactured in third world countries now, so I guess there's always the possibility that they could be made of something other than SS.

--Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Kim,

No I am not from Las Vegas, although if they put me on any more pain meds, I might actually go to Vegas in my own mind. LOL!! No, the name is just for my initials.

Comment

MGM or others, What pain meds are you on right now? I am not on any. I take Ambien to help me sleep but don't have any other meds. Again, my appt is on the 15th of August and I don't know how to get some meds before then. I don't want to be on meds all the time either. Suggestions?
                Background - Diagnosed in 1981 with a s-curve. Very progressive. Wore a Milwalkee brace from 1981-1986. I had back surgery in 1989....spinal fusion with Harrington rods and bone from my hip.

Comment

During the day I have Naproxen Sodium (comparable to a large dose of Alleve) so that i can still function. I take Baclofen for the muscle spasms (typically used by patients with MS). At night I have Tramadol. I don't take any of the heavy stuff like hydrocodone or vicodin because I have really bad reactions to those types of meds, so all of mine are more milder. Of course Celebrex also. I agree with you that I don't want to be on all this stuff forever.

Comment

Meds

I don't take any in the day, as narcotics make me sleepy and I have been waiting for an appointment at a pain clinic so that they can maybe prescribe them for me, when the pain gets too bad. I want something that won't affect me too much and give side effects, and I hear about Neurontin being good for nerve pains. I get bouts of pain in the day, sometimes it's tolerable and after I do some things it can get hard to tolerate. I've been told that I could wait up to a year for the appointment, makes me laugh at this point.

At night I take Imovane 7.5 mg, it really would be hard to function without it, as I get at least some sleep with it(5-6 hours on a good night). It relaxes my whole body, and it's not as addicting as other sleep aids.

Comment

I took so much aleve/advil that i developed stomach bleeding. I can't take celebrex because i have a heart condition. plus i am allergic to tons of meds. It sucks the only thing we have found that works is vicodin.

It seems everything is either not good if you have had problems with stomach bleeding or if you have other health conditions
                      37 yo
                      diagnosed at the age of 5. Wore milwaukie brace with boston girdle from 2nd grade until 8th, had first spinal fusion/harrington rod surger upper back, 1983. Brace was taken off after healing.

In 1987 discovered lower back needed surgerie as well, had 1st rod replaced and 2nd put in.

I have a 6 yo son who was diagnosed with infant scoliosis at the age of 1. Seems to have outgrown but we are monitoring.

Comment

Working...
                      X