Thread: Dr. Gupta recommends surgery

Dr. Gupta recommends surgery

Dear fellow curves,

Met with Dr. Pernendu Gupta at University of Chicago Hospitals yesterday. Didn't even have to ask. He recommends surgery and a very extensive one at that. Fusion from about T-5 to the pelvis with iliac screws. Yikes!!!

Chris

Wow Chris! I have to say it's not a surprise. Did he take new x-rays? Did you like him?

Any gut feelings about all this?

Okay, enough questions.

!!!
    Chris

Dr. Gupta

Hi Chris,

I am TERRIFIED!!! Yes, I did like Dr. G and his staff very much. He was very easy to converse with and I liked the fact that he reviewed all my film and commented in front of me rather than off in a separate room like the other docs did. He did not see the need for fresh x-rays at this time. He measured my curve at 78 deg. Each time I see a different doc, it gets bigger...it's progressing even on film. I asked him if I don't have surgery, what I might expect ten years from now. He said that I probably won't be able to walk. When I told him about Dr. Hammerberg's comments to me and that I felt like he was attempting to dissuade me from sugery, he said he knows Dr. H very well and he is an excellent surgeon and feels he was playing devil's advocate. Dr. G wants to see me in a couple of months with a family member. Much to think about.

Chris

I too experienced the mysteriously enlarging curve with each successive doctor that I saw!! I did notice that 2 doctors measured the inside of it while Boachie measured the outside of it, which added ten degrees. It seems to me that curve measuring is an art and not a science...

I can fully relate to being terrified. It's good that you got a definitive opinion, though -- it gives you more to work with.

i see his brother munish gupta at uc davis medical center
    Kara
    Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
    Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
    T4-L2
    Before 50T
    After 20T

And Im sure hes every bit as competent and caring as his brother in Chicago. They have another brother who is a gastroenterologist. Lots of docs in that family.

Hi Chris,

Maybe somewhere I have missed something. Why do you have to have another surgery? Or am completely off base here. Don't mean for you to repeat yourself, I thought you were doing well!!!

I'm so sorry if that's not the case.

All My Best and God Bless,
    Shari

I think someone revived an old thread. The original posts about Chris's surgery are from 2006.