Side Effects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side Effects

Not counting the pain, what are some of the side effects or loss of sences you have had or still have?
    I lost a fair amount of spinal fluid which made my brain fall to the base of my skull.When this happened I lost my sence of smell and taste and also lost the hearing in my right ear. I had to lay motionless for days. I have my smell back (sence of smell wise guys) Hearing is comming back but have a hearing aid. Still no tast, and thats a big bummer.
    What are some of your loss problems and what is being done for it?
    Jess
    March 23, 2006 Anterior/posterior Ileum-T2
    15 1/2 Hours
    Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

side effects??

The only thing I have is numbness on my trunk and some scar tightness. I can honestly say, even this far out after surgery, these things are diminishing.

Did they by any chance, give you epidural pain medication after your surgery? If so they could have entered the space where the spinal fluid flows and you could have lost spinal fluid that way. This happened to me when I had a myelogram 20+ year ago when they are supposed to inject dye into the spinal fluid. I had a headache for 3 days!!! The headache, called a "spinal headache" is due to loss of spinal fluid through the injection site. There is a treatment for it nowdays.

Sometimes you can get a "dural leak" and lose spinal fluid through the puncture site.
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Originally posted by Karen Ocker
      The only thing I have is numbness on my trunk and some scar tightness. I can honestly say, even this far out after surgery, these things are diminishing.

Did they by any chance, give you epidural pain medication after your surgery? If so they could have entered the space where the spinal fluid flows and you could have lost spinal fluid that way. This happened to me when I had a myelogram 20+ year ago when they are supposed to inject dye into the spinal fluid. I had a headache for 3 days!!! The headache, called a "spinal headache" is due to loss of spinal fluid through the injection site. There is a treatment for it nowdays.

Sometimes you can get a "dural leak" and lose spinal fluid through the puncture site.
      Actually they punched 3 holes in the epidural sack. Got 2 patched and later had to do what they call a blood patch. Isn't that headache something else?
      March 23, 2006 Anterior/posterior Ileum-T2
      15 1/2 Hours
      Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Comment

Apart from the usual numbness in the thoracic region(gets better with time, but feeling never fully comes back), I did have a headache for a month after this last surgery, and I didn't know what it was due to. Always came in the middle of the night and was all on one side of the head. It was really BAD. I do have some numbness in my hands and arms at times, when my screws at T5-T6 hurt. Didn't have that before this last surgery as well.
        35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
        Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
        Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
        Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
        Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Working...
        X