Thread: scoliosis and fibromyalgia

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

scoliosis and fibromyalgia

I've been reading with interest the posts on the possible links between polio and scoliosis and they made me wonder if there is a similar link with fibromyalgia? It's just that several posters have mentioned that they have both. I only have scoliosis, but my sister has fibromyalgia and has about as much trouble with her back as i do. Could the same basic thing (genetic flaw or whatever) take either form, perhaps?
    Any ideas/personal experience?

Fibromyalgia in my experience is caused by spinal twists. Remove the twists and the fibromyalgia symtoms disappear. I have just treated a female patient in such discomfort she was in hospital for a few weeks. Foot pain, leg pain shoulder pain headaches. She has no pain now at all. Took 4 treatments.
    Don't expect anyone to believe this but it is fact.
    Last edited by Rayknox; 06-30-2007 at 12:19 PM.

Hi Rayknox,

Can you elaborate on your idea of fibroimyalgia and spinal twists being linked?

I have not heard this before.

Thanks,

Nora

Hi Nora b
    First of all if you look at all the symtoms of fibromyalgia, they are all the same as symtoms caused by spinal problems- I have tried to explain the treatment I do recently on a forum here but just got ridiculed because I have no x-rays to prove what I am doing. (related to scoliosis). However I regularly get back pain patients with the diagnosis of fibromyalgia and when we untwist the spine the symtoms disappear I know - you can't do that! I hear that all that time.
    I contacted a fibromyalgia support group to come and see but they weren't interested and didn't even ring back to check it out more. ( I had offered free treatment to someone of their choice)
    My patients are generally happy. Others are put off by medical people who are not open to anything new.
    ray.

Hi Nora,
    from my understanding, they diagnose fibromyalgia by going off the number of inflamed/knotted trigger points you have in your muscles, and their spread (i.e. it has to be generally across your body, rather than localised in one area).
    Now this is a bit of an inexact science, as it's the same diagnosis method as Myofascial Pain Syndrome (chronic muscle problems across a wide area of your body that can be resolved by PT). So in theory you could be diagnosed with fibromyalgia, and then have it cured by physical therapy. It's a bit of a grey area, for sure!

I have both

Quote Originally Posted by Rayknox
    Hi Nora b
    First of all if you look at all the symtoms of fibromyalgia, they are all the same as symtoms caused by spinal problems- I have tried to explain the treatment I do recently on a forum here but just got ridiculed because I have no x-rays to prove what I am doing. (related to scoliosis). However I regularly get back pain patients with the diagnosis of fibromyalgia and when we untwist the spine the symtoms disappear I know - you can't do that! I hear that all that time.
    I contacted a fibromyalgia support group to come and see but they weren't interested and didn't even ring back to check it out more. ( I had offered free treatment to someone of their choice)
    My patients are generally happy. Others are put off by medical people who are not open to anything new.
    ray.
    Hi, Ray. I have myofacial and a progressive scoliosis, even though the curves are mild. It cause me a lot of pain. I know the pain come along with the curve, but everybody says scoliosis should not cause that much pain. Where are you located?
    YF

We are in N.Ireland.
    Twists in the spine can cause severe pain. Upper thoracic and cervical give headaches, arm pain and shoulder pain etc. Mid spine twists can give pain in the rib area at the front of the body like a lung pain. Low back twists can cause lots of problems from circulation problems to bowel and bladder problems to low back pain leg pain, sciatica etc.
    Sometimes these twists are very slight and do not show up on x-rays or scans, but the effects are real enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayknox View Post
    Hi Nora b
    ray.
    Unbelievable... literally!

In the future, let me know when this type of post appears, and I'll stop it immediately.
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Dilbert
    I'm sarcastic... what's your super power? --Unknown
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you've signed up and are having trouble posting, please check your spam folder. An email was sent to the email address which you subscribed. You have to follow the instructions in that email. Done that and still having trouble posting? Contact Joe O'Brien at jpobrien@scoliosis.org.

This is a prime example of the type of folk science that comes about with no medical training.

Scoliosis... fibromyalgia... maybe little palm-sized massagers with 4 little feet can also solve the debt crisis. Knowledge of macroeconomics not required... just need them little feetsies amovin' up and down!!!

The list is really unlimited when the person is unconstrained by real knowledge.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."