Anterior swelling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anterior swelling?

Ok I am a little over 3 months out from getting wacked now. For the last several weeks I have had this huge lump where they went threw the front. I mean huge. 2 weeks ago they sent me in for a cat scan. Nothing shows up. No hernia no nothing. They tell me it is just post op swelling. Damn, has anyone else had this? When does it go away? This thing is getting hard as well as bigger but all the doctors say it's just swelling. Please let me know if this too has happened to you.
    Jess
    March 23, 2006 Anterior/posterior Ileum-T2
    15 1/2 Hours
    Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Jess...

Do a Google search on "incisional hernia."

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

yes

I had anterior surgery on 5/8/06 and my stomach is still swollen. My clothes don't fit! My Dr. also said that the swelling will eventually go away. It feels like a bloated pouch and looks like I'm in early pregnancy.
      Jenn
      37 y/o female
      60 degree lumbar
      45 degree thoracic
      1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
      T 5 to S 1
      NYC

Comment

If you're swollen evenly across the abdomen, it's probably not an incisional hernia.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine
          If you're swollen evenly across the abdomen, it's probably not an incisional hernia.

--Linda
          Like I said the cat scan says no hernia, byt it hurts like hell.
          15 1/2 Hours
          Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Comment

Backtalk,

Didn't you have some sort of bowel disease after your first surgery and could that be reactivated again?

Deb

Comment

Originally posted by Cakedec
              Backtalk,

Didn't you have some sort of bowel disease after your first surgery and could that be reactivated again?

Deb
              Yes, I had a twisted bowel for a while, although the Cat Scan ruled that out also.
              15 1/2 Hours
              Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Comment

Originally posted by BackTalk
                Like I said the cat scan says no hernia, byt it hurts like hell.
                An incisional hernia is not a true hernia, so does not show up any standard tests.

--Linda

Comment

An incisional hernia is not a true hernia, so does not show up any standard tests.

--Linda
                  That must be what I have then.
                  15 1/2 Hours
                  Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Comment

From this paper:

http://www.ejbjs.org/cgi/content/full/88/8/1897

Under "Adult Spinal Deformity":

The most common complication is chronic pain and asymmetric bulging of the ipsilateral abdominal body wall musculature.

Comment

From this paper:

http://www.ejbjs.org/cgi/content/full/88/8/1897

Under "Adult Spinal Deformity":

The most common complication is chronic pain and asymmetric bulging of the ipsilateral abdominal body wall musculature.
                      Hi Linda, I kinda understand whatthat tells me but can you set me on to a site that would maybe help me to understand it a little better. Pictures would be nice LOL. Thank you so much for the help.
                      Jess
                      15 1/2 Hours
                      Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Comment

http://med.ege.edu.tr/~norolbil/2001/1801.jpg
                        http://www.hernia.net.au/incisH2.gif

Comment

Are you serious???? Is this what I can expect to look like following anterior sugery? Or is this an extreme case?

Chris

Comment

The folks in the pictures look pretty hefty to begin with -- I would imagine your bulge would be proportional to the rest of you -- I hope?

Is there anything a person can do to lessen their chances of an incisional hernia or is it just the luck of the draw??
                            Chris
                            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I had some swelling and soreness around my anterior incision. I equated it to looking like I was in my first trimester. Swelling went down after about 1 month. I think the patients in the photos were overweight to begin with.
                              Brandi
                              Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                              Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                              L1-S1
                              Dr. William Lauerman
                              Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                              Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                              http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X