No announcement yet.

Anterior swelling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incisional hernias are definitely more of a problem with obese people, but as you can see, Jess is fairly thin.

Not everyone gets them, but a lot do.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I think the guy in the picture has more problems than the lump, don't you?
      My weight is only around 125, I have a 29" waist and I am 6"1". I have no waist, no butt but one hell of a lump.
      March 23, 2006 Anterior/posterior Ileum-T2
      15 1/2 Hours
      Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Comment

Here is a picture of my little beauty. I don't think it is as gross as the big fellows was. Sorry if I offend anyone!
        http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...h/DSCF1724.jpg
        15 1/2 Hours
        Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Comment

Jess...

Yours looks fairly similar to mine. Welcome to the club. ;-(

--Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

How long have you had yours? Does it ever go down? I never did hear what can be done to get rid of it.
            Jess
            15 1/2 Hours
            Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Comment

Jess...

I've had mine since my surgery in 1993. I had surgery to repair it. It was great for 3-4 years, but eventually came back (which I understand is relatively typical). Here's some information:

http://hernia.tripod.com/incisional.html

Regards,
              Linda

Comment

QUOTE: These hernias develop in many cases as a result of too much tension placed when closing the abdominal incision, as stated above. Tension creates poor healing, swelling, wound separation and eventual Incisional Hernia formation. QUOTE

Is this a complication that can be avoided with an extremely skilled surgeon?

Chris

Comment

Hi Chris...

Dr. Sig Berven at UCSF told me that he is extremely careful when he sews the various layers of abdominal muscle back together, and he rarely has this complication.

Regards,
                  Linda

Comment

Same thing with my doctor. He said he has about 1 in 50 this happens to. Story of my life I'm always #50.
                    15 1/2 Hours
                    Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Comment

Not to beat this thread into the ground, but here's one more question: do you have more of a chance of hernia if you have bone for fusion taken from your hip, as opposed to your rib? Or is it the anterior cut itself that can cause it??

Thanks
                      Chris
                      Chris
                      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

After reading this thread the tiny bulge on either side of my abdominal scar (from the intestinal surgeries) make sense now. My second surgeon was vary careful to sew me back up to where it looked like only one scar instead of making a road stripe on my stomach. (What a guy!!) They are not as big as the pictures here, but it does clarify an few things for me. So I guess doing stomach crunches really won't help much huh? I've often wondered if internal scar tissue (adhesions) play a part in that as well?

Comment

Hi Chris...

Incisional hernias are only a problem if you have anterior surgery, so I can't imagine how an iliac crest bone graft would have any impact on the problem.

Jer, no stomach crunches won't help, and I'm thinking that they might even make the problem worse. My understanding is that it's a lack of blood supply to one or more layers of muscle, causing them to atrophy.

Regards,
                          Linda

Comment

Really, well that is interesting to know. Thanks Linda.

Comment

Working...
                            X