Rib Cage after surgery question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rib Cage after surgery question

Sorry to always have so many questions, but my mother, who I have written for before had surgery about 7 weeks ago at this point. It seems as though it has just been one problem after another. After 7 weeks of the entire right side of her stomach protruding out the Dr. finally said that it may be a stretched out colon that will never go away. Has anyone else experienced this after surgery?
    My other question is that just over the last two weeks we have noticed that my mother’s left rib cage has been protruding out. This is interesting because before her surgery it was her right rib cage. It has been causing her all kinds of physical and emotional pain. She is in agony wearing her braces because it rubs on the rib cage. She has had the brace adjusted 4 different times, but nothing helps. Does anyone know how it is possible that the other side of her rib cage could now be sticking out? Any advice or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Hi...

There is often a big shift in the rib cage because the spine is derotated during surgery. If the left ribcage is now really prominent, I wonder if they over rotated your mother's spine. (I've never heard of that happening, but it's certainly a possibility.) Is it possible that the left ribcage is now normal, and your mother is just used to having it positioned more to the back?

I've known a few people who had such sore ribs after surgery that they told me they simply couldn't wear their braces.

Regards,
    Linda
    Last edited by LindaRacine; 07-01-2006, 11:19 AM.
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Leviwood,

I can't answer your questions, but it's nice to hear from you again. I have been wondering how you and your mother have been doing.

Shari

Comment

Working...
      X