Does anyone have more than one rod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have more than one rod?

Just curious if anyone out there has more than one rod...I know I've heard that some have had trouble with rods breaking /becoming detached, etc...but does anyone have more than one rod? (I know that todays surgery often uses double rods ...so maybe my question would better be...does anyone have 3 or more rods?

Curious
    Always Smilin'

Always Smilin'
    Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
    pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
    pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
    right thoracic 57
    lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
    revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
    unsure of degrees at this point

I have 2 rods. One on each side of my spine. They are screwed to each side of my spine.I did not know that a person could have more than 2 but anything is possible. I am interested to know now also if anyone has more than 2 rods.
    Mattie

Comment

Hi...

I have two rods, as do most people who've had scoliosis surgery (at least in the U.S.) any time in the last 20 years or so. Most people who have more than two rods have had to have additional surgery. Here's an example:

http://health.ph.groups.yahoo.com/gr...w/a40e?b=1&o=2

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Have two rods, one was replaced in December. Some who have non unions(like I had) with a broken rod don't have it replaced when they take it out, but my ortho and I insisted to have it replaced, or the new fusion would not take hold.
        35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
        Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
        Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
        Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
        Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine
          Hi...

I have two rods, as do most people who've had scoliosis surgery (at least in the U.S.) any time in the last 20 years or so. Most people who have more than two rods have had to have additional surgery. Here's an example:

http://health.ph.groups.yahoo.com/gr...w/a40e?b=1&o=2

Regards,
          Linda
          I couldn't open the photo as I'm not a member but sounds interesting. I'm looking at a possibility of 3 rods (have 1 now - surgery in 1982) but in the next few years may be looking at an additional fusion. I was just curious if anyone else has undergone this I think I'm a rarity I never do things quite as I'm supposed to.

Always Smilin'

Always Smilin'
          Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1

recheck 2006
          right thoracic 57
          lower lumbar 34

Comment

2 rods plus

Hi! My name is Laura...i have 2 rods...but I also have a plate and screws in my neck! I know that's obviously not a 3rd rod...but it should count as something! lol!

Comment

Can you tell me more about your neck? Mine looks a bit like a snake and I'm having some problems because of it but am too afraid to have anyone touch it. (So you have the traditional 2 in your back or a harrington and a revision?)

Thanks much
              Always smilin'

Always Smilin'
              Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1

recheck 2006
              right thoracic 57
              lower lumbar 34

Comment

Hi

Hi there! Okay...I had a posterior fusion with 2 harrington rods in Sept. of 2002...One of my bottom hooks came loose, so I had to have a revision in Dec. of 2003...the dr. took everything out, then started over from scratch with the rods and SCREWS this time! I started having shoulder pain, numbness and tingling in my arm & hand...and literally...pain in my neck. lol I had neck surgery in August of 2005. Trust me, Honey , I was terrified! Mine is kinda like a snake, too, with a big bulge right at the bottom of my neck...in the past 6 months...my other side has been doing the same thing...the pain, tingling & numbness, etc....so I'm looking at another surgery on my neck in the near future. I'm having a hysterectomy & bladder surgery at the end of this month...my husband says he thinks scars are sexy! Good thing, huh! Let me know your story...iit's so nice to be able to talk to people who are going thru the same thing!

Comment

rods

Hi I Have 6 rods in my back 2 (T3 to L1), 2 (L3 to L4), 2 (L5 to S1) 22 screws and Plate in Neck with 4 screws. Hope it all hangs together. I think it will put alot of stress on T1,T2,L2, L4 discs. Dave
                  Hello I'm Dave
                  34 years old
                  2002 C5-C7 Fusion with plate and screws.

Sept 2005 T3 to L1
                  65 degree before 37 degree After Thoracic
                  Rods and Screws

L3-L4 and L5-S1 took discs out fusied with rods and screws.

Had 11 1/4 hour surgery spent 6 days in coma and 7 days in heart ICU. Had a tough surgery don't want to go through that again.

Comment

I am in the UK and only have one rod. I was told that this is more common here, to have one thick rod rather than 2 thinner ones - I think its because there are less screws (and my screws are huge!).

Also, particularly if you are older, they don't aim to straighten you out completely - just to get good sagittal balance. They fuse the fewest levels they can in order to keep flexibility.

I am continually amazed at the different approachs by different surgeons - especially when it comes to one side of the Atlantic or the other!
                    Double 63(T)/75(L) deg curve with big sideways shift - Surgery in UK on 8th February 2006.
                    Post op 30(T)/33(L)
                    http://warpedwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

hi pretzelmama

Hi!! Just wondering do you work?? Thanks
                      Hello I'm Dave
                      34 years old

Sept 2005 T3 to L1
                      Rods and Screws

Had 11 1/4 hour surgery spent 6 days in coma and 7 days in heart ICU. Had a tough surgery don't want to go through that again.

Comment

Oh my goodness, Brat! That is absolutely shocking (the amount of rods). And here I was having a pity party for myself with possible revisions. What's it like to have a neck plate? Does it limit your movement? I can't even imagine. I only have the one Harrngton Rod and thankfully it lasted me about 20+ years but I'm really frightened as to what the next 40 years may bring...my doc says that we need to look at the present but it's hard to not look at the future when you're hoping for a long, productive life...I don't want one where I'm limited.

I work full time as a teacher (elementary) so do a lot of up and down, floor work, etc. and love my career. I think it helps that I can rest somewhat in the summer (if you call running after a 2, 9, and 10 year old resting

Thanks everyone for sharing!
                        Always Smilin

Always Smilin'
                        Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1

recheck 2006
                        right thoracic 57
                        lower lumbar 34

Comment

Hi Always Smilin'

The neck plate isn't to Bad was a cake walk conpaired to my back surgery. I think i have good rotation on my neck. Still have problems with neck up higher and muscle problems. I was very happy with the neck surgery!! Dave
                          Hello I'm Dave
                          34 years old

Sept 2005 T3 to L1
                          Rods and Screws

Comment

Whow Dave, I did not know someone could have so many rods. That is amazing. I only have two and that is plenty enough for me. I had revision surgery twice though. Sound to me like you have been through a lot. When I get on here and see all these posts and different peoples experiences it amazes me what some of these people have went through. It makes me feel a little less sorry for myself. Mattie

Comment

I have 4 rods--two on either side of the spine, but the two on each side are connected together.

Comment

Working...
                              X